Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

32 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

"Already that's hard to do unless you want to spend three picks on that, and I expect it to be harder in a couple months. Honest question: who would you cuff him with?" 

Well that's just it, with the community divided, potential owners won't be getting Williams 'cuff in the later rounds. It all seems too high, but what owners could do is draft Williams & keep drafting RB. 

2 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I understand he was dismissed for "multiple team rule violations", probably drug related? That was in 2013, and since then I don't think there was any concern.

However, since then between 2014 and 2018 he had less than 300 touches in total. Don't tell me all that was still over a couple joints in College?

"After transferring to Oklahoma in 2012, he split carries with Brennan Clay, yet still amassed over 1,200 total yards. He failed to capitalize upon his momentum in 2013. Williams violated team rules multiple times his senior season and served two single-game suspensions. His season was eventually rained out, and he was dismissed from the team before the end of November.His 4.45 40-yard dash ranked fourth among running backs at the 2014 NFL Combine (you may remember Dri Archer’s 4.26 that year). Even that was not enough to compel teams to look beyond his past indiscretions and spend a draft pick on him. The running back-needy Dolphins – whose leading rusher in 2013 was Lamar Miller, with 709 yards – signed him and fellow un-draftee Orleans Darkwa (most recently with the Giants)."

So to answer your question, no, his lack of rushing history SINCE being drafted is not likely due to his college history. It did however play a role in how much harder it would have been to climb the depth chart. He was owed nothing. I don't know why it's so difficult for people to imagine all the reasons why talented player get stuck on teams where there is no room for promotion. The most talented guy isn't always the starter. I could rattle off 10 teams with JAGs as starters with talented backups not getting a look

48 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Pop quiz: do you even know why he wasn’t drafted? It seems you are under the impression it was in some way talent related. 

I’ll provide you the answer thus making this an open book quiz.

he wasn’t drafted because he was kicked off the team at OU. He had major red flags/character concerns. It had ZERO to do with ability 

Pop quiz... Who was the RB that was better than him at Oklahoma (where they split time together) and where is he now? 

Brennan Clay 

Out of football 

You damien truthers are unreal. Y'all are ready to die on a sword for this JAG and you barely even know him. 

26 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

The most talented guy isn't always the starter. I could rattle off 10 teams with JAGs as starters with talented backups not getting a look

Starting with the team that Damien Williams just spent the last 4 years on the bench of. In fact, they might be the worst culprits of this last year, refusing to give Drake a fair shot, and it is clear to all he is bursting st the seems with talent.

Here is some more of Damien’s story:

He played JV at El Cajon HS his freshman year before transferring to Mira Mesa his sophomore year. They suited him up as a Linebacker. Eventually he won the RB job his Junior year and by his Senior year he had 2300yds and 24TDs and was committed to ASU. But he didn’t have the grades to matriculate. So he went to Western Arizona JC and kept his commitment to ASU.

He didn’t start there his first year and his offer to ASU was pulled. But he worked his way to be the starter year 2 and amassed 2200yds and 28TDs. He got offers again from ASU, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Arkansas, New Mexico St. He chose OU.

OU returned their top 3 RBs from the year before and Williams started the season on the bench. After 3 games he was named the starter and in 8 games as the starter he had 1300+Yds and 12TDs. His last year of eligibility he violated team rules and was suspended. This killed his draft stock.

We know the story from there. But his rise up the depth chart in KC is reminiscent of what he had done several times before in his career. Never handed anything. Of course, he found ways to botch it each time he got to the top in the past, so can he stay on top this time?

Edited by elroypedro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Pop quiz... Who was the RB that was better than him at Oklahoma (where they split time together) and where is he now? 

Brennan Clay 

Out of football 

You damien truthers are unreal. Y'all are ready to die on a sword for this JAG and you barely even know him. 

Truthers? Why because we recognize the potential for a fantastic opportunity in the NOW/FUTURE and trolls like you want to linger in the past? I couldn't care less if the dude was a street mime or a Wall Street broker before he took over the job. All I care about is production as a Kansas City Chief. Looks good to me.....how bout you skippy?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Okay, but wasn't Hunt like a mid-to-late RD pick in fantasy drafts? You yourself suggest that it was shaping up as a committee...

We'll never know what it was shaping up to be, fortunately.

13 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

The most talented guy isn't always the starter. I could rattle off 10 teams with JAGs as starters with talented backups not getting a look

I'd like to see that list of 10

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

Pop quiz: do you even know why he wasn’t drafted? It seems you are under the impression it was in some way talent related. 

I’ll provide you the answer thus making this an open book quiz.

he wasn’t drafted because he was kicked off the team at OU. He had major red flags/character concerns. It had ZERO to do with ability 

Plenty of questionable characters still get drafted.  It had a LITTLE to do with ability, lets be serious.

13 hours ago, elroypedro said:

Starting with the team that Damien Williams just spent the last 4 years on the bench of. In fact, they might be the worst culprits of this last year, refusing to give Drake a fair shot, and it is clear to all he is bursting st the seems with talent.

Here is some more of Damien’s story:

He played JV at El Cajon HS his freshman year before transferring to Mira Mesa his sophomore year. They suited him up as a Linebacker. Eventually he won the RB job his Junior year and by his Senior year he had 2300yds and 24TDs and was committed to ASU. But he didn’t have the grades to matriculate. So he went to Western Arizona JC and kept his commitment to ASU.

He didn’t start there his first year and his offer to ASU was pulled. But he worked his way to be the starter year 2 and amassed 2200yds and 28TDs. He got offers again from ASU, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Arkansas, New Mexico St. He chose OU.

OU returned their top 3 RBs from the year before and Williams started the season on the bench. After 3 games he was named the starter and in 8 games as the starter he had 1300+Yds and 12TDs. His last year of eligibility he violated team rules and was suspended. This killed his draft stock.

We know the story from there. But his rise up the depth chart in KC is reminiscent of what he had done several times before in his career. Never handed anything. Of course, he found ways to botch it each time he got to the top in the past, so can he stay on top this time?

Saying he rose up the depth chart is like saying LBJ rose to the Presidency.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Saying he rose up the depth chart is like saying LBJ rose to the Presidency.

He started in KC as a 2nd string Special Teamer.  He is now the 1st string RB and crushing it. That is 5 vertical moves up the depth chart in 1 season, with only 2 injuries ahead of him

Also, LBJ is considered one of the greatest modern presidents(along with his predecessor JFK). Good to be compared to that I would think

Edited by elroypedro

3 minutes ago, elroypedro said:

He started in KC as a 2nd string Special Teamer.  He is now the 1st string RB and crushing it. That is 5 vertical moves up the depth chart in 1 season, with only 2 injuries ahead of him

He wasn't signed for his special team ability, he was signed as the 3rd string back to compete with the immortal Darrel Williams.  The two guys in front of him died.  You guys are nuts, he is a total JAG.

6 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

He wasn't signed for his special team ability, he was signed as the 3rd string back to compete with the immortal Darrel Williams.  The two guys in front of him died.  You guys are nuts, he is a total JAG.

So don’t draft him - we get it, you don’t think he’s any good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

So don’t draft him - we get it, you don’t think he’s any good.

Why so sensitive?  Isn't that what these boards are for, to debate this stuff?

3 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Hunt was kicked off the team and Ware had a minor hamstring tweak. That is what had Williams rise from 2nd string Special Teamer to 1st string RB and succeed wildly in that role over a 1/3 of a season’s worth of games? 

Williams has played so well that Ware has been a healthy scratch the last two games despite having multiple healthy practices in a row leading up to each of them. You’re just not living in reality right now. 

There are concerns that KC brings in competition in one form or another(but this isn’t a huge concern after his early re-signing, his spectacular play, and his propensity to beat out other backs in competition), and that he has managed to bungle it each time he has risen to the top of a depth chart with off field issues. Mostly grades but still that shows a lack of smarts and maturity. If he is over that all signs point towards good likelihood he is the starter moving forward and he is killing it in that role as of now

Just now, The_Truth_Returns said:

Why so sensitive?  Isn't that what these boards are for, to debate this stuff?

Haha!  Not sensitive - just wondering what more there is to say - you think he’s a JAG, understood!

21 minutes ago, elroypedro said:

Hunt was kicked off the team and Ware had a minor hamstring tweak. That is what had Williams rise from 2nd string Special Teamer to 1st string RB and succeed wildly in that role over a 1/3 of a season’s worth of games? 

Williams has played so well that Ware has been a healthy scratch the last two games despite having multiple healthy practices in a row leading up to each of them. You’re just not living in reality right now. 

There are concerns that KC brings in competition in one form or another(but this isn’t a huge concern after his early re-signing, his spectacular play, and his propensity to beat out other backs in competition), and that he has managed to bungle it each time he has risen to the top of a depth chart with off field issues. Mostly grades but still that shows a lack of smarts and maturity. If he is over that all signs point towards good likelihood he is the starter moving forward and he is killing it in that role as of now

Healthy scratch?   Why would the soon to be UFA Ware find it in his best interest to sit if he was good to go?

1 minute ago, psygolf said:

Healthy scratch?   Why would the soon to be UFA Ware find it in his best interest to sit if he was good to go?

Because they have the backs they need I guess. Don’t ask me. He has practiced healthy multiple times during the weeks leading up to the last two games, has been out like 6 weeks for what was quoted as a 2 week injury. He is just sitting out while being either healthy or very close to it. Also, he doesn’t decide if he is in the lineup or not, the coaches do.

41 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Darrel is a rookie...how can he already be 'the immortal' in his first season lol wtf

Can't wait to draft Dwill next year however if KC wins the SB and Damien continues to impress on the national stage he won't come cheap next year :(

I'd love to get him as my RB2 with like a 3rd or 4th round pick but it feels like it's going to take a second round at this rate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elroypedro said:

"... Williams has played so well that Ware has been a healthy scratch the last two games despite having multiple healthy practices in a row leading up to each of them. You’re just not living in reality right now. ...[then in his subsequent comment] Because they have the backs they need I guess. Don’t ask me..."

First you definitively link Williams performance with Ware being inactive, then when Py asks you to substantiate, you're don't know. :) So you're the reality king? 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

First you definitively link Williams performance with Ware being inactive, then when Py asks you to substantiate, you're don't know. :) So you're the reality king? 

I am don’t know?

Nothing you’ve written makes any sense to me

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

Why would Ware have control whether he plays or not?  That's the coaches decision.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

"Why would Ware have control whether he plays or not? That's the coaches decision."

I think he's assuming that Ware hasn't slipped to 3rd on their depth chart, when he may have. Given that assumption, if 100%, he would certainly be active. Thus, the reasoning that he isn't a fully go.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, elroypedro said:

"I am don’t know? Nothing you’ve written makes any sense to me"

This will work for a few, but for most, all you've done is insult their intelligence & left your own credibility suspect. You said one thing & then another and used a typa to keep from addressing it. :)  

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

This will work for a few, but for most, all you've done is insult their intelligence & left your own credibility suspect. You said one thing & then another and used a typa to keep from addressing it. :)  

You make no sense when you post. I don’t know if the happy face is a manic insecurity thing for you but it is just confusing for normal people to read after your out of touch posts.

I’ve posted very well in this thread, staying on topic and offering in depth facts and insightful analysis. I didn’t “say one thing & then another.” You’ve just completely made that up in an attempt to troll and make this thread ALL ABOUT YOU. You’ve partially succeeded in that and I will not continue to indulge you any further in that goal of yours, unless and until you are able and willing to post anything of actual substance here.

Edited by elroypedro

1 hour ago, elroypedro said:

Also, he doesn’t decide if he is in the lineup or not, the coaches do.

fantasy

• Confused 2