Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

I think Damien Williams is a product of the system. Ware was good, then Hunt, now him (in a 3 game sample). If Williams was that good, I don't a single coach would not put him as their lead back, regardless of who is ahead of them. Case in point: Phillip Lindsay.

I do think Williams will be around next year, but they would be stupid not to draft someone. Unfortunately, it's not a great year for RB's coming out of college, so whoever they get probably won't be fantastic. Other thing is that Reid loves his workhorse backs, I'm pretty sure he hated when it was 50/50 ware and west. I think Ware will stick around, but the chiefs are gonna take a hard look at whether they want to roll with Damien or whoever they draft. If they bring in decent talent, I'm drafting that talent. If they don't, I'm taking him in the late 2nd and handcuffing him because I don't expect he'll still be the lead back come fantasy playoffs next year (through either injury or overtaken).

For dynasty, sell high as an RB1 if you can.

33 minutes ago, slickthesmart1 said:

I think Damien Williams is a product of the system. Ware was good, then Hunt, now him (in a 3 game sample). If Williams was that good, I don't a single coach would not put him as their lead back, regardless of who is ahead of them. Case in point: Phillip Lindsay.

I do think Williams will be around next year, but they would be stupid not to draft someone. Unfortunately, it's not a great year for RB's coming out of college, so whoever they get probably won't be fantastic. Other thing is that Reid loves his workhorse backs, I'm pretty sure he hated when it was 50/50 ware and west. I think Ware will stick around, but the chiefs are gonna take a hard look at whether they want to roll with Damien or whoever they draft. If they bring in decent talent, I'm drafting that talent. If they don't, I'm taking him in the late 2nd and handcuffing him because I don't expect he'll still be the lead back come fantasy playoffs next year (through either injury or overtaken).

For dynasty, sell high as an RB1 if you can.

I guess I don’t understand why people care if his success is predicated on talent or system. He scores serious fantasy points and it’s not like it’s happening on 2017 “Kamara-like” effeciency where it can be written off as consistently unachievable. Simple math...if he’s Reid’s guy then he’s a 2nd rounder. If not, he returns to fantasy oblivion 

If KC drafts someone like Damien Harris or Josh Jacobs, who can both probably be gotten in the late 2nd or 3rd, then Damien Williams owners need to be concerned.

That said, DW has show enough for KC to give him strong consideration as their lead back entering 2019. They are going to sign a couple of guys in FA, though...or sign one and draft another. As of now, the only two RBs they have under contract in 2019 are their two DWills. The question is going to be who they sign/draft, and do they go after someone with the intention of moving Damien back to second-string. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

If KC drafts someone like Damien Harris or Josh Jacobs, who can both probably be gotten in the late 2nd or 3rd, then Damien Williams owners need to be concerned.

That said, DW has show enough for KC to give him strong consideration as their lead back entering 2019. They are going to sign a couple of guys in FA, though...or sign one and draft another. As of now, the only two RBs they have under contract in 2019 are their two DWills. The question is going to be who they sign/draft, and do they go after someone with the intention of moving Damien back to second-string. 

$8 Mil over two years makes for an expensive 2nd stringer at a very replaceable  position. Just sayin’ 

42 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

$8 Mil over two years makes for an expensive 2nd stringer at a very replaceable  position. Just sayin’ 

No, I agree with you. Just addressing possibilities. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

Everyone bringing up 8m as the 2 year number, but that is the MAX value...nobody is bringing up the cap hit for 2019/2020, and nobody is acknowledging the low guaranteed $ in the contract.

Edited by psygolf
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, psygolf said:

Everyone bringing up 8m as the 2 year number, but that is the MAX value...nobody is bringing up the cap hit for 2019/2020, and nobody is acknowledging the low guaranteed $ in the contract.

Definitely fair. $2m cap hit this year and $3m next. My point still remains that signing a hish'ish priced FA is very unlikely. .....A mid to late draft pick or a camp body type FA is most likely

Edited by Joe Odam

5 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

Definitely fair. $2m cap hit this year and $3m next. My point still remains that signing a hish'ish priced FA is very unlikely. .....A mid to late draft pick or a camp body type FA is most likely

But not accurate.    $1.7m...then $2.8m  *if they choose to keep him, he can be cut after next year with little pain.

If KC doesn't draft a RB (or sign a solid one) the guy's gonna put up RB1 numbers, plain and simple. How much of it is a product of KC being so good really isn't relevant for our purposes. Unfortunately my guess is they draft a RB in the mid rounds and it completely muddies the water.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, psygolf said:

But not accurate.    $1.7m...then $2.8m  *if they choose to keep him, he can be cut after next year with little pain.

Ahhhh yes, the two-three hundred grand between the figures we posted will definitely be what tilts rhe tables 🙄 c’mon man you don’t have to make everything so difficult do you? 

Wait....you do, don’t you 😒

2 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Ahhhh yes, the two-three hundred grand between the figures we posted will definitely be what tilts rhe tables 🙄 c’mon man you don’t have to make everything so difficult do you? 

Wait....you do, don’t you 😒

I prefer the real thing versus fluffers.

Cheaters win again - might be done with this joke of a sport 

12 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Cheaters win again - might be done with this joke of a sport 

What's that got to do with the Cheif's 2019 starting running back Damien Williams?

• Thanks 1

Yeah mid to late round for me next season

22 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

Yeah mid to late 1st round for me next season

fixed

25 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

Yeah mid to late round for me next season

Mid to late 1st? If he is still the starter he is likely gone by latest early 2nd so you can’t mean mid to late 2nd round.

Edited by elroypedro
  • Like 1

Waiting to hear the naysayers tell me who exactly is going to take his job from him going into 2019? A FA signing? No. A draft pick? Nope. He will be the starter to begin the season with the exception of a freak injury. Could he get overtaken at some point during the season? Sure. To start the season he's an elite rb1 until proven otherwise

• Like 1

For those who play in an auction league. Out of $200 total cap, what do you bid on Williams assuming KC doesn’t draft a RB?

10 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

For those who play in an auction league. Out of $200 total cap, what do you bid on Williams assuming KC doesn’t draft a RB?

50 or 70

11 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

fixed

Thank you, i missed the 1st part in all seriousness.

1st round im grabbing him if im 7th down to 12, maybe even 5 or 6

• Like 1

Another point on Williams sticking at the starter in 2019 - the Chiefs have potentially huge contract extensions coming up for Tyreek & on D Chris Jones & Dee Ford.  Then after those, a monster deal for Mahomes.  Why would KC spend any big money or draft capital on the RB position when Williams just proved on this 6 game run that he's capable of big production in the rushing and especially passing game.  

They will have other RB on the roster obviously but Reid likes to stick to one guy and Williams has proven to be that guy over the last 6 weeks. 

• Like 1