Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

On 1/17/2019 at 3:41 PM, Flyman75 said:

If KC drafts someone like Damien Harris or Josh Jacobs, who can both probably be gotten in the late 2nd or 3rd, then Damien Williams owners need to be concerned.

That said, DW has show enough for KC to give him strong consideration as their lead back entering 2019. They are going to sign a couple of guys in FA, though...or sign one and draft another. As of now, the only two RBs they have under contract in 2019 are their two DWills. The question is going to be who they sign/draft, and do they go after someone with the intention of moving Damien back to second-string. 

Unless the chiefs trade up they won't get Josh Jacobs. I believe he is going to be a top 10 pick. Damien Harris makes the most sense, but I wouldn't be shocked if Bryce Love or Montgomery ends up with the chiefs.

Edited by dontclapGonorrhea

13 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

Waiting to hear the naysayers tell me who exactly is going to take his job from him going into 2019? A FA signing? No. A draft pick? Nope. He will be the starter to begin the season with the exception of a freak injury. Could he get overtaken at some point during the season? Sure. To start the season he's an elite rb1 until proven otherwise

Love the conviction.

2 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Another point on Williams sticking at the starter in 2019 - the Chiefs have potentially huge contract extensions coming up for Tyreek & on D Chris Jones & Dee Ford.  Then after those, a monster deal for Mahomes.  Why would KC spend any big money or draft capital on the RB position when Williams just proved on this 6 game run that he's capable of big production in the rushing and especially passing game.  

They will have other RB on the roster obviously but Reid likes to stick to one guy and Williams has proven to be that guy over the last 6 weeks. 

Said that a long time ago that rb position isn't where the Chiefs are going to invest much capital with the production they've been getting from cheaper options. So there is a REAL GOOD chance the job is DW's to lose

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

Love the conviction.

Love the fact that you contribute nothing (something you’re routinely called out for I might add) of any value to the forums. If you see a different scenario then offer your opinion. At some point when enough people criticize you for trolling there has to be a profound amount of truth to it no? 

37 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Love the fact that you contribute nothing (something you’re routinely called out for I might add) of any value to the forums. If you see a different scenario then offer your opinion. At some point when enough people criticize you for trolling there has to be a profound amount of truth to it no? 

I don't mind being "called out" ...especially when there's nothing to add.   We all know what he is right now, you're just being a fan boy today (no offense). 

If they resign Ware, DWill will be drafted as a rb1...if they don't sign Ware, KC will draft or bring in a FA to address the need to have more than 2 rbs on the roster.   Then we can re-evaluate.

Edited by psygolf

Even if they do take a RB decently high in the draft, that's not even a death sentence for his value.  How did that work out for Penny and Rojo this year?

1 minute ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Even if they do take a RB decently high in the draft, that's not even a death sentence for his value.  How did that work out for Penny and Rojo this year?

a key FA grab might pose a greater risk.

2 minutes ago, psygolf said:

a key FA grab might pose a greater risk.

Agreed

Will be a rock solid RB next year unless the following occurs:

1) Top-3 round RB investment in draft

2) FA signing of a RB for $4-5+MM dollars

The team extended him a few weeks ago- clearly something teams don't do unless they have some type of plan for him going forward. They just locked up a guy on the CHEAP and still get similar production compared to Hunt.

He actually looked pretty great yesterday on receptions- surprised they didn't do that more often..

The smartest move by KC would be to sign a cheap FA(maybe re-sign Ware) or draft a mid-to-late round back to fill in the backup role behind Williams.

This should be their depth chart:

Damien Williams(2 year $8m)

Ware type(2 year like $2m or less) or Mid-to-late round RB(cheap rookie contract)

Darrell Williams(cheap rookie contract)

Special Teams/Practice RB(1 year $600k)

If they do this they will have the position well in hand and have saved a ton of money to spend on D. It would be crazy for them to sign another FA on top of Damien Williams for more than Williams signed for. Wouldn’t make sense and would completely mess up their budget and ability to fill all the holes they need to across their D, their interior OL, and at WR(just about every position except QB and T are priorities for them the address and bolster before RB now that Williams is signed). Keep in mind that Hunt was making $600-800k on his rookie contract the last 2 years, Ware has been on a 3 year $3m, and the last big RB contract they gave was to Charles for 5 year $32m with a 2 year $18m extension - I think they learned from that that it is completely unnecessary to pay RBs that kind of money. Still, that Williams contract looks even stronger(2 year $8m) compared to the Hunt and Ware contracts that they had had on the books. They clearly really, really like him and are paying him 4-8x as much the next two years than they paid Hunt and Ware these last 2 years.

Edited by elroypedro

Here’s what their draft will look like:

round #(insert any the number for any round): defense 

the end 

I put the odds of them investing anything more than a late round pick on a rb at less than 1%. Williams’ statistical measurables were even better than Hunt’s across the board. He might not be the “long term” answer but he’s the “right now” answer. I’d add that there isn’t a single FA that the Chiefs could sign that would threaten his starting role. And no, they won’t sign Bell

34 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Here’s what their draft will look like:

round #(insert any the number for any round): defense 

the end 

I put the odds of them investing anything more than a late round pick on a rb at less than 1%. Williams’ statistical measurables were even better than Hunt’s across the board. He might not be the “long term” answer but he’s the “right now” answer. I’d add that there isn’t a single FA that the Chiefs could sign that would threaten his starting role. And no, they won’t sign Bell

Speaking of "right now"...the Rams picked up a scrub that has dented the top rb in the league for a few weeks now.  Who would've predicted that?

25 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Speaking of "right now"...the Rams picked up a scrub that has dented the top rb in the league for a few weeks now.  Who would've predicted that?

The fact that Gurley clearly isn’t close to being right tilts that narrative to an extreme degree. I hope you’re not suggesting that C.J. would have a 50/50 or larger piece of a timeshare if Gurley was 100%

1 hour ago, Joe Odam said:

The fact that Gurley clearly isn’t close to being right tilts that narrative to an extreme degree. I hope you’re not suggesting that C.J. would have a 50/50 or larger piece of a timeshare if Gurley was 100%

pretty sure CJ took over this backfield. Rams prolly gonna trade Gurley now..

18 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

pretty sure CJ took over this backfield. Rams prolly gonna trade Gurley now..

You seem informed enough for me to accept your analysis as fact. Gurley has been removed from my draft board, alongside Joey Harrington who has not performed as expected 

Gurley said he's fine...I'll choose to believe him.

5 minutes ago, psygolf said:

hes fine. he basically got benched because of his ineffectivness due to his injured knee that he says is "fine".

i fully expect him to be 100 in 2 weeks tho. 

55 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Then please believe me when I say that I invented bread sticks. <_<

Then please believe me when I say that I invented bread sticks. <_<

Your parents should be very proud.

• Like 1

Many rbs have performed well for Reid over his coaching career...no reason why it would stop now.  

9 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

Said that a long time ago that rb position isn't where the Chiefs are going to invest much capital with the production they've been getting from cheaper options. So there is a REAL GOOD chance the job is DW's to lose

I agree. It doesn't make sense for KC to spend money on a top free agent RB. They need to pay Hill, Jones, and Ford. I also don't see them drafting a RB in the first or second with defense being a big liability in 2018. It wouldn't surprise me if they add a mid round RB or keep Ware in free agency (or add another RB on that level).

As far as Williams talent. It obvious that he has shown good hands and acceleration. He's made some really nice plays (cuts, breaking tackles, etc). Talent was not the issue in college or when he went undrafted. I wouldn't say he's a top 15 talent but system is just as important as skill. Almost every lead RB in Reid's offense finishes as a RB1 in fantasy.

If Williams is able to get past the draft and free agency without big competition added then he will be drafted as a high upside, risky 2nd round pick.

13 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Another point on Williams sticking at the starter in 2019 - the Chiefs have potentially huge contract extensions coming up for Tyreek & on D Chris Jones & Dee Ford.  Then after those, a monster deal for Mahomes.  Why would KC spend any big money or draft capital on the RB position when Williams just proved on this 6 game run that he's capable of big production in the rushing and especially passing game.  

They will have other RB on the roster obviously but Reid likes to stick to one guy and Williams has proven to be that guy over the last 6 weeks. 

great point. It also can not be overstated how important it is for a Reid RB to not only be able to be a short yardage banger but also a plus player in the passing game. That narrows the field drastically. I'm tiring on Damien being typecast as a JAG. He looked like any other upper echelon back with every chance he was given this year. 

RB 1 next year. All scenarios where he isn’t are not realistic given the defensive needs of the Chiefs. 

3 hours ago, Wrighty said:

RB 1 next year. All scenarios where he isn’t are not realistic given the defensive needs of the Chiefs. 

Has a team ever gone all-defense in a draft?

Barkley, Gurley, Zeke, CMC, Kamara, Gordon.  Only players I think you have to take ahead of Williams, *assuming FA/Draft cements his role.

I'd hear arguments for Chubb, Conner, Mixon, Hopkins, Adams, Tyreek, Thomas, and Julio.  AB if he stays.  Probably forgetting a player or two, but Williams should slide right into this late first / early second bunch.  I don't wanna hear about "career journeyman" or "JAG".  Watch the games.  This is fantasy football where situation counts for just as much as talent and if you haven't figured that out yet then that's too bad for you.

* Should we even have to qualify this any more?  It's so obvious that it's a waste of words.

• Like 3