BackyardBaseball

Julio Urias 2019 Outlook

Urias needs to be in the rotation, period. Seems like he's been 'not quite there' or injured for years now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Urias starting the year in the rotation with recent news of Hill starting the season on the IL (Knee strain) along with Kershaw.

He will obviously be hard up for 6 ip QS's and very possibly moved to the bullpen soon, but he is a solid pickup in deep mixed leagues for ratio help. I picked him up, no expectation that he sticks, but if he can get me 4 solid IP over a couple starts I am more than happy to have him as a 5th/6th SP with his upside. 

Edited by loro1991

No way to know, but they will be for sure watching his pitch counts.  Dodgers have like 8 starting caliber pitchers but half of them will all see injury time which gives urias plenty of spot starts throughout the season. 

I think you could bank on about 105ip.. anything more would be gravy. Probably maxed at 130ip if Dodgers let him.

Perfect for the daily leagues, not so great for weekly. But those ratios and Ks are going to be so sweet.

• Like 1

not bad for a dude that had shoulder surgery 

didn't think he would make it back to this type production 

27 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

not bad for a dude that had shoulder surgery 

didn't think he would make it back to this type production 

how many innings are you giving him this year? i know youre a LAD fan...

This seems like it's going to be a very tough thing to manage for the Dodgers. As a Urias owner in a keeper league I want him to succeed this year, but not at the expense of his future(probably same for LA). How do you start a guy in the rotation on opening day without yo-yo'ing him from starter to bullpen without giving him way too many innings? The easiest strain on his arm would be a permanent move to the pen once innings become an issue. He's two years removed from his max innings at 122, while throwing around 15 last year. I'd say 130 would be pushing it. 

15 starts averaging 5.1 innings gets him 80(13 starts at 6 innings per). Half a season in the bullpen is 30ish, leaving some left for playoffs. That's my guess. 

RW gave him the "he needs to be owned in all leagues." God damn it. They know I can't resist that!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

RW gave him the "he needs to be owned in all leagues." God damn it. They know I can't resist that!

The amount of dumb moves I’ve made over the years from that statement by them

• Haha 3

#realdeal

it starts this year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

maybe its my optimism but anything under 150 inn would be a disappointment and surprising  

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, colepenhagen said:

maybe its my optimism but anything under 150 inn would be a disappointment and surprising  

He threw 15 total innings last year after returning from surgery and anything less than 150 IP this year is a disappointment? 

That's just silly and nowhere remotely close to reality. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, osb_tensor said:

He threw 15 total innings last year after returning from surgery and anything less than 150 IP this year is a disappointment? 

Yeah I’m excited about owning him and I’m basically hoping for Hader ‘18 type results:

80 IP,  12-15 K/9, <2.50 ERA.

4 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

keep babying them arms

9 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

It’s the Dodgers.  They’ll probably put this poor guy on the DL with an eye problem at some point to manipulate the 10 day.  Either way, he isn’t coming close to 150 unfortunately.  I’m looking forward to watching him this season.  He’s got a ton of promise.

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

It’s the Dodgers.  They’ll probably put this poor guy on the DL with an eye problem at some point to manipulate the 10 day.  Either way, he isn’t coming close to 150 unfortunately.  I’m looking forward to watching him this season.  He’s got a ton of promise.

u would think. if the staff is healthy then 150 is not likely but if he is needed?

at some point you got say f it and see what the kid has. 

41 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

keep babying them arms

But that’s two different things.

You can think that they baby arms too much. Different than saying you’ll be surprised if he doesn’t get 150 IP. 

• Like 1

150?!  You must not be familiar with Captain Hook (Dave Roberts).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see 150 being his absolute limit, and that's still being incredibly optimistic imo.

• Like 1

Yeah I pretty much hope for Hader results as well with elite K's and ratios. 

Who else is excited for the matchup Monday with the Giants? That team cant hit lefties for anything.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

Who else is excited for the matchup Monday with the Giants? That team cant hit lefties for anything.

FTFY

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Impressive start even if it was against the Giants. Was blowing people away with 96 MPH heat or painting corners with it then dropped 81-84 MPH change ups that just fell off the table right before it crossed the plate. Excellent stuff and good control and from the left side. You can see why the scouts were so high on him. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

The guy is a boss but the usage will be unbearable. 

The Dodgers probably win last night if he stays another inning or two. I hate Roberts.