BackyardBaseball

Julio Urias 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Even if it's 'on the minor side' I hope they drop the hammer on him, and I know you were just paraphrasing @Jericho, so by no means am I attacking your post or you in any way. This stuff has gotta stop and MLB, along with all the other sports (and society in general) have to stop turning a blind eye. 

I agree with your point in general, but I'm not sure I agree here. Tbf I haven't read any details about this incident other than he pushed a woman in a parking lot, and I can see a scenario where he needs to be suspended for a very long time but I can also inside a scenario where it's not really a big deal and more of an accident blown out of proportion. 

• Like 2

While you want to take any allegation seriously (or in this case I'm not sure if any allegation was made, but instead came from third parties), the public also shouldn't rush to judgment. Particularly when it seems like no one here is privy to the actual facts or has seen the video in question. Claiming anyone should "drop the hammer" without knowing specifics is reckless just like someone turning a blind eye is deplorable. It's clear MLB isn't ignoring this, so we'll see how this plays out.

• Like 2

Reinstated Tuesday per RW. Pick him back up?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Suspension likely coming

13 minutes ago, smeeze said:

He didn't have much value in standard redrafts before this. Isn't starting, so a long relief arm doesn't offer much. And this ignores any potential suspension. In keeper and dynasty leagues he probably wasn't dropped but yes grab him if he's available.

21 minutes ago, FantasyFiend said:

Suspension likely coming

Wouldn't they have announced a suspension before announcing that he would be reinstated and able to return to the Dodgers active roster?

Since he would be playable, Baseball is fairly confident no charges are forthcoming. He will prolly get the old go to counseling, attend some meetings, anger management classes and be declared cured/fixed.

2 hours ago, terminator10 said:

Wouldn't they have announced a suspension before announcing that he would be reinstated and able to return to the Dodgers active roster?

Invesitagtion is ongoing but stalled is the basic situation. No one is cooperating and so there basically is no evidence of anything.  If evidence comes to light they will pursue it, but if it stays status quo I don’t see there is much you can do.

10 hours ago, merlin401 said:

Invesitagtion is ongoing but stalled is the basic situation. No one is cooperating and so there basically is no evidence of anything.  If evidence comes to light they will pursue it, but if it stays status quo I don’t see there is much you can do.

According to the article the bolded part isn't true at all. Below is a direct quote from the article. 

We're told both parties have been very cooperative with investigators and are telling consistent stories about what happened. 

https://www.tmz.com/2019/05/16/julio-urias-domestic-violence-investigation/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

He didn't have much value in standard redrafts before this. Isn't starting, so a long relief arm doesn't offer much. And this ignores any potential suspension. In keeper and dynasty leagues he probably wasn't dropped but yes grab him if he's available.

While true, he was doing interesting things in the long relief role.  A few runs allowed but overall decent ratios and good Ks, but what really sparked interest was their trust in him in key situations netted him 2 SV and 1 W in 5 appearances as a reliever.  Not that that kind of stuff is easy to predict going forward, but he was at least on my radar as a MR ratio stabilizer who may find himself with more than your average number of W/SV chances.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

While true, he was doing interesting things in the long relief role.  A few runs allowed but overall decent ratios and good Ks, but what really sparked interest was their trust in him in key situations netted him 2 SV and 1 W in 5 appearances as a reliever.  Not that that kind of stuff is easy to predict going forward, but he was at least on my radar as a MR ratio stabilizer who may find himself with more than your average number of W/SV chances.  

aaand this is why I nabbed him instantly...plus hes 22 years old... they have plans for him...Urias is next up behind Jansen as well...

Edited by dfstout

l have no idea what happened in the incident, and obviously if he acted poorly there I understand anyone considering that in whether you want him on your fantasy roster. 

Since I have no idea on that stuff, just on fantasy front, he's an interersting guy for a few reasons in my mind:

1. He has the profile of a multi-inning killer ratio high K reliever this year

2. There is reason to think he's the backup closer 

3. He has been solid as a spot-starter and could return there this year

4. In keeper leagues, he has a lot of upside as a starter---arguably among the top young starters out there

On 5/21/2019 at 11:06 AM, mmcc1029 said:

According to the article the bolded part isn't true at all. Below is a direct quote from the article. 

We're told both parties have been very cooperative with investigators and are telling consistent stories about what happened. 

https://www.tmz.com/2019/05/16/julio-urias-domestic-violence-investigation/

Perhaps i should have been more clear : the mall is refusing to give them the videotape 

[Comments removed.  We are not going to litigate the details of the incident here or speculate as to what may have happened.  Urias has been reinstated, and any further action is up to MLB.  This thread needs to stay focused on Urias' fantasy outlook and not what exact set of words to use to refer to what led to his administrative leave.]

Closer Monkey, fwiw, has Urias listed as setup for Jansen, along with Baez. Urias the lefty of course. However Roster Resource has him listed as long relief in that pen and not up in a setup role. Can we assume for the time being that Urias is indeed going to pitch in high-leverage positions for the time being, with perhaps the occasional multi-inning outing in the mix too?

I just scooped him up in a holds league. Figure he should be good for your ratios, give you good K's from a relief spot and a hld, sv and W here and there. I assume they're going to use him in high leverage positions.

2 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

anyone thinking he gets a shot at starting when LAD SP get hurt per usual?

I’d guess Stripling gets first crack, and Urias is two injuries away. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

So, he'll be starting in two weeks, instead of one?

Hiyo!!!

8 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I agree with this, but I'd also add that I think Urias is likely to be the more valuable of the 2 as a reliever.  Now and prior to the injury they were using in Urias in more high leverage situations like multi out saves and tied games meaning he weaseled his way into more W and SV than your average reliever. 

That kind of stuff is always tough to predict. But personally I'd rather roster Urias provided you're in the kind of league where you're quicker to the WW than most of your league-mates in the even a Dodger injury occurs. Just my 2 cents.

apparently may get a spot start with the dodgers having like 19 straight games or something

5 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

apparently may get a spot start with the dodgers having like 19 straight games or something

when?

I'm perfectly okay with a Josh Hader role. I'm perfectly okay with a starter role. He should be on your team regardless of role because he is a lefty with 3 strong offerings and command of them.

5 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

when?

TBD, it was just reported that they may give him a spot start to give their rotation an extra day of rest amid this long streak of games, at some point

starting today, and with MR. Always Good For An IL stint Richard Hill leaving his start last night with forearm tightness, he may get an extended look! Grab him now if you still can...