BackyardBaseball

Julio Urias 2019 Outlook

Everyone is pointing to Urias "starting" tonight, but it's already been announced he's basically operating in an opener capacity. I'm not sure if the Dodgers will have an appointed replacement for Hill between Urias and Stripling. This could be a headache waiting to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TribeFoo said:

Everyone is pointing to Urias "starting" tonight, but it's already been announced he's basically operating in an opener capacity. I'm not sure if the Dodgers will have an appointed replacement for Hill between Urias and Stripling. This could be a headache waiting to happen.

Yeah, it's a shame he has to be the opener.  Would have been interesting if he could have been the bulk reliever.  I would have rushed and picked him up then.

His pitch count will potentially be the most telling thing today. In his previous multi inning appearances the max he has hit was around 40 (3 IP).  If they're keeping him in the pen I'd imagine he'll stay around that mark. If they're trying with stretching him out for some starts I'd imagine we'll see a decent bump if all is going smoothly. 

If I had to guess right now I'd say Stripling is more likely but man would a few Urias starts be fun. 

34 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

I said this in the Stripling thread, but it seems LAD will have a loose 7-man rotation.  Kershaw, Buehlrer, Ryu as their top 3 guys with Hill, Maeda, Urias, and Stripling toggling in and out of the rotation when someone has real or fake DL stints.

1 hour ago, TribeFoo said:

You got him with what, pick 300? Or scooped him off free agency? He's been plenty valuable as a reliever for fantasy purposes. What headache? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

You got him with what, pick 300? Or scooped him off free agency? He's been plenty valuable as a reliever for fantasy purposes. What headache? 

I was speaking in terms of anyone expecting him to get consistent starts while Hill is down. LAD mess with their rotation a lot.

how can they just expect stripling to start? urias has built up more inn/pitches/arm strength pitching out the pen than stripling. 

stripling has thrown 2 inn one time since april 25th. that's almost 2 months. hes not stretched out imo. maybe he doesn't need to be but urias looks like the more logical guy to get starts.

2 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

how can they just expect stripling to start? urias has built up more inn/pitches/arm strength pitching out the pen than stripling. 

stripling has thrown 2 inn one time since april 25th. that's almost 2 months. hes not stretched out imo. maybe he doesn't need to be but urias looks like the more logical guy to get starts.

as a stripling owner who i have had stashed becasue of the dodgers starters injury histories, i could not agree more...lol

Urias may get some additional runway tonight. They planned today to be a pen day, but that was before Hill went down after only 1 inning last night. 2 pen days in a row could wreck havoc on the pen, especially in the middle of a stretch where LA is playing 18 games in 18 days. I would think that it would depend on how efficient Urias is. In terms of someone stepping in while Hill is out, I would expect Roberts to go with Stripling. I have no evidence. This is just my gut feeling as I feel that they really want to protech Julio and prep him for a postseason run in the rotation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

yea that make sense as well. regular season doesn't matter saving bullets for urias is more important but will he start in the playoffs? im still thinking LAD needs to get bauer. roll with walker Kershaw bauer ryu. with maeda urias and stripling in the pen all other rp in the dodgers pen can piss off. talking to u baez and kelly

youre not going to get through the lineup 3 times as a starter vs hou, nny, boston. 

Edited by colepenhagen

guess urias and stripling with piggyback a start Tuesday. wonder who starts? urias probably

28 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

guess urias and stripling with piggyback a start Tuesday. wonder who starts? urias probably

Wouldn't be a surprise since Urias was the opener in his "start" last week, which obviously kills a lot of his value unless you're just using him for bonus ratios/K's.

Yeah I was hoping he would be stretched out a bit in his last start but he only threw 43, which is on par with what he was doing before in long relief roles.  He still has some value but I don't think it's much different than he was before the Hill injury. At least right now.

Less value really... Atleast before the injury he was getting some holds and saves 

Likely to lead the league in wins from a reliever. Hasn't allowed a run in a WHILE. Last week? 6IP 1 W 5K's 0era and what 3, 4? Hits. I would imagine if the Dodgers do start him in the playoffs, he'll be starting just in time for your H2H playoffs. Go get him! In the meanwhile you can enjoy a random win or save every other week. 

42 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

Likely to lead the league in wins from a reliever. Hasn't allowed a run in a WHILE. Last week? 6IP 1 W 5K's 0era and what 3, 4? Hits. I would imagine if the Dodgers do start him in the playoffs, he'll be starting just in time for your H2H playoffs. Go get him! In the meanwhile you can enjoy a random win or save every other week. 

Next year though, all likelihood is his innings restriction lifted?

25 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

Hopefully.

But with the recent fad of having pitchers as "openers", the amount of arms the Dodgers have and Urias excelling in this role...who knows.

6 hours ago, dkrocka said:

Yeah, he seems to be the more valuable between him and Stripling, right now, because Stripling seems to be functioning in a "long opener" role, meaning he gets the start but doesn't pitch enough innings to get the W. Urias is in position to vulture a lot of these short start Ws.

6 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

Not completely lifted I don't think. I would expect next year that we're talking 150-170. Given the landscape of the modern starting pitcher... that's not that far off, but I definitely don't expect Urias to go from 100-120 this year to 180 next season.

Can any Dodger fans shed some light on what the plans are for Urias ROS? Are we ever going to see him as a staple in the rotation this year? Is this stint in the pen just to save his innings for later in the season? Ratios have been great but he's a tough guy to roster right now considering he only pitches every 5th day. He'd be a good stash though if he was inevitably going to wind up as a starter again. 

On 7/1/2019 at 8:05 PM, oswald737 said:

Not completely lifted I don't think. I would expect next year that we're talking 150-170. Given the landscape of the modern starting pitcher... that's not that far off, but I definitely don't expect Urias to go from 100-120 this year to 180 next season.

Even that is probably pushing it with the Dodgers and their DL strategies.  Here are the IP totals from their starters last year: 

Stripling 122

Ryu 82

Wood 151

Hill 132

Buehler 97

Kershaw 161

Maeda 125

Sure some of that is injury related but more than most teams they really try to spread the load.  Even if he's fully healthy I gotta imagine he's not one of the guys they're going to turn into a work horse.

3 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Even that is probably pushing it with the Dodgers and their DL strategies.  Here are the IP totals from their starters last year: 

Stripling 122

Ryu 82

Wood 151

Hill 132

Buehler 97

Kershaw 161

Maeda 125

Sure some of that is injury related but more than most teams they really try to spread the load.  Even if he's fully healthy I gotta imagine he's not one of the guys they're going to turn into a work horse.

Certainly plausible. I was inferring more of the limit then the expectation. That said, the Dodgers have been fortunate to have cost effective starting pitching depth largely because of Stripling and Urias staying cheap. That is a hard thing to maintain. Ryu is a free agent who will likely be coming off a career year as a Boras client. Maeda is almost perma-capped by his contract, struggles against lefties, and struggles third time through a line-up.

I think they'll still be extremely cautious with Urias as you've noted, but I don't know that the Dodgers maintaining 6 effective starters so cheaply is a forever thing when the rest of the league can barely field 3.

• Like 1

My take is he’ll be a full time starter next year and hit around 150-160innings if he can stay healthy.  If their staff stays healthy this year I see him staying in the role he has and be their fireman in the playoffs going 2-3 or so innings every 3-4 games.  Unless your playing daily roster roto leagues, he’s a drop for me.  He’s pretty worthless for weekly lineups right now, same as most high end middle relievers.