BackyardBaseball

Julio Urias 2019 Outlook

My playoffs start next week. Not sure if he has two starts this or next week. I might even have a bye for next week. At least for me, he'll have a shot at a win come playoffs every week. Merry Christmas to one of his biggest supporters even before he got hurt way back when. #drafted

6 hours ago, dkrocka said:

My playoffs start next week. Not sure if he has two starts this or next week. I might even have a bye for next week. At least for me, he'll have a shot at a win come playoffs every week. Merry Christmas to one of his biggest supporters even before he got hurt way back when. #drafted

The only issue is if he'll ever pitch enough innings to actually be eligible for a win before the end of the season.  If not for that, he'd be great to have right now.

The article has some details about his usage ROS....

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news-julio-urias-replacing-kenta-maeda-in-rotation-for-start-tuesday-against-rockies/2019/09/03/

Still not built up as a normal starter, he only pitched into the third inning and allowed three runs (two earned) on six hits. Urias is projected to go 45 pitches or three innings on Tuesday, and will stretch out over the remainder of the regular season.

“Right now we know that he can pitch out of the ‘pen, so there’s also the factor of building him up and getting the pitch count up,” Roberts explained.

“To go three (innings) and 45 (pitches), and then to see Julio make another start after that, that’s a four (innings) and 60 (pitches) and then we’ll know more once we go from there.

“We’ve talked about all year long with Julio. There’s a line between building him up and having a good jumping off point for next year. With all that’s transpired we still have an opportunity to build him up.”

• Thanks 1

Anyone expect him to pitch deep enough into his next start for a chance at the win ? 

I know they are stretching him out, so hard to say how many pitches or innings he'll go. He's always been fantastic against SF who he faces at  home tomorrow. Unfortunately he won't help me unless he nabs a win. Not sure if he'll get enough leash to go 5 or 6 innings yet. Curious what you guys are expecting. 

13 hours ago, tonywow said:

Anyone expect him to pitch deep enough into his next start for a chance at the win ? 

I know they are stretching him out, so hard to say how many pitches or innings he'll go. He's always been fantastic against SF who he faces at  home tomorrow. Unfortunately he won't help me unless he nabs a win. Not sure if he'll get enough leash to go 5 or 6 innings yet. Curious what you guys are expecting. 

I think he gets 4 innings. I read somewhere dodgers were planning an extra inning every start

• Like 1

I think it depends on the game. If he pitches well and the dodgers score enough runs, I think it would be unlikely not to give him 5.  But if he struggles even a bit or the pitch count rises, he’s not going to linger.

• Like 1

Word around the campfire is that Dave Roberts is a POS that doesn't recognize that Urias is at worst LA's 4th best starting pitcher.

im so confussed chasing my tail trying to figure out who to own/start just going to roll with urias and madea and hope I get something from both. (watch stripling be the guy to own. ha fml

Last I read - Rotoworld blurb maybe - he is moving to the bullpen but what does that even mean? Is he a bulk guy, one inning guy, long relief guy. If he makes a few appearances in a week he could have value.

4 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Last I read - Rotoworld blurb maybe - he is moving to the bullpen but what does that even mean? Is he a bulk guy, one inning guy, long relief guy. If he makes a few appearances in a week he could have value.

Does making a spot nominal start even count as ever leaving the bullpen?  Like are people viewing a 1 or 2 IP opener as a "starter" who has graduated from the bullpen?

Edited by AHF

The Dodgers have no game plan nor clue on what to do with this kid. Hopefully a starter goes down or gets rested and he makes a few spot starts down the stretch.

Just waiting for him to throw 5 perfect innings to see if Roberts would even let him go out in the 6th.  My guess is he goes into the 6th walks one guy and gets pulled with a no hitter on the board.

Edited by BackyardBaseball