Gauthmann44

Yusei Kikuchi 2019 Outlook

How do we think he transitions from Japan to the MLB? He is only 27 and has had pretty consistent stats over his career in Japan. 

Per. David Adler

"Kikuchi's fastball averages around 92-94 mph, and he can reach 96-98 mph at times. That's not only unusual velocity among NPB left-handers, it's also above-average for the Major Leagues. In 2018, the average fastball velocity among left-handed MLB starters was 91.4 mph.

Kikuchi's main secondary pitch is a slider. Along with his fastball-slider combination, he also mixes in a curveball and changeup.

As MLB.com's Jon Paul Morosi reported this past summer, multiple MLB scouts believe that Kikuchi has the ceiling of a No. 2 starter in the Major Leagues. He doesn't have the superstar expectations that countrymen like Ohtani, Yu Darvish and Masahiro Tanaka carried, but he could slot into the middle of an MLB rotation."

• Like 1

don't even care as somone who coming off fantasy basketball and all the resting and AD kawhi trash. if he misses every 5th or 6th start that's no big deal at all in standard 12 teamers

• Like 3

Eh, volume matters a fair amount in standard leagues.  If he were a high-K 140-150 inning guy then you can stomach that, but with expectations of a K/9 in the mid-8s, I'm having trouble seeing the appeal here.  Cueto made it work with solid ratios and a mid-8s K/9 by going 200+ IP regularly.

I think he's priced appropriately, going around other volume question marks like Ryu and Eovaldi, but at least those guys can help you in another category.  I'm normally a "ratios are two categories, strikeouts are one" guy, but when those ratios (which we haven't seen Kikuchi deliver at the MLB level yet) are only factoring into ~140 innings for your team's total, I think I'd prefer a lot of the other names going around him in drafts, who have done it at the MLB level.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

This guy is pretty damn bad

He settled in after a shaky start.

Retired the last 10 in a row and picked up a QS.

I know it's the Royals, and they run a lot. But, man, they ran on him a lot tonight.

1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

This guy is pretty damn bad

I'll take a 'pretty damn bad' quality start. It's early. It's becoming apparent this guy isn't going to win you leagues, but he may be consistently solid. Only 3 walks on the year so far. He seems to have trouble in the 1st/2nd inning before settling down. If he can overcome that, he's certainly not a pitcher you want to give up on, simply for not being a headliner.

Very ugly. Very lame delivery. Not sure why I hopped on the hype train. He doesn't do anything well.

Mariners need to fire whomever thought this guy was good

I don't understand why you guys are THIS down on this guy.  He's made 4 starts in his MLB career and has been, at least serviceable thus far.  Sorry you drafted him and he's not really been fantasy relevant, but he's really not bad by MLB standards.

• Like 1

Quality start and 5 Ks and nothing but "this guy is trash" takes.  I don't get it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Don’t own him but he hasn’t even been that bad. Remember, it’s four starts. A lot of great pitchers have started worse than Kikuchi this year. One great game and his numbers look really solid.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1

Remember that his 1 blowup was more than partially due to Tim Beckham's 3 errors. He's been "pretty good" otherwise. I'm happy with him as my SP7, but he may be the first to go when guys come of the IL.

Slight overreaction last night on my part. It seems like he takes a few innings to settle in, but once he does, he gets rolling. Hopefully he can start settling in a little sooner. 

Those are some afwul numbers against an awful lineup.  Does anyone see anything at all encouraging or is this an easy drop once anything good pops up? At least a sit right? 

What's the consensus doing with this guy? Not sure he's worth a roster spot if hes gonna have these restricted starts all year ya?

My gut says he’ll improve as the season goes on. But I question whether or not he’ll find a consistent rhythm with the “opener” starts.

• Like 1