Gauthmann44

Yusei Kikuchi 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

With that said, I don't think it's out of the question to suggest Kikuchi is off to a mediocre start because his father passed a week before the season began. That coupled with the move across the globe has to have an impact.

A statement from Kikuchi on March 30, Seattle Times:

“I learned today that my father, Yuji Kikuchi, passed away following a long and valiant battle with cancer.

During my recent visit to Japan, my father expressed his desire for me to remain focused on baseball and to help my team win. Although difficult, I will honor his wishes and dedicate the rest of this season to him. 

This statement will be my only comment on this matter, but I will remain available to answer baseball questions beginning tomorrow, Sunday, March 31.

Thank you for respecting the love and honor we shared for my father, and our request for privacy moving forward.”

Edited by PhilaFanBoy

First 1 inning start coming tomorrow. At least this info was released ahead of time so those of us in start cap leagues can adjust accordingly.

• Thanks 1

Big bounce back from Yusei tonight. It’s the Indians but he went 7 IP with 3 hits, 1 ER, 1 walk and 10 strikeouts. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, in terms of what Kikuchi is capable of.

• Like 1

great start. hopefully this is a sign of good things to come.

do we think he can still settle into the SP2-3 (closer to SP3) range as the season goes on?

So I'm on board now ...if I'm getting this right he is only.supposed to pitch one inning next start? Or do they turn him loose yet? Any more info on this approach 

6 hours ago, bugkilla said:

So I'm on board now ...if I'm getting this right he is only.supposed to pitch one inning next start? Or do they turn him loose yet? Any more info on this approach 

Unless they say otherwise it’ll be a regular start at NY. They said it would be every few starts when he’s the opener and only pitches an inning. My best guess is 2-3 normal starts followed by one opener start. 

I hadn’t paid much attention to this guy but after watching highlights of him this morning I definitely will be going forward. i Guess I didn’t realize that he’s a lefty throwing mid nineties heat.

Here's a some data behind his impressive outing last night:

FB- I don't know if he's cutting it or it's just natural movement, but man this sucka breaks a ton vertically and quite a bit horizontally too. He threw 39 FBs for over a 70% strike rate, 29 swings and 10! whiffs...averaging a stout 94.5 MPH and reaching 97 multiple times.

SL- offspeed of choice, threw 21 with solid tilt--14 strikes with 11 swings and 5 whiffs, pretty firm at 88 MPH.

CU- was brought out 13 times, it's pretty meh if judging by the vert/horizontal actions, but those don't always paint the whole picture either. More of the real pace changer, as it comes in well below the other offerings at 76 MPH.

CH- only threw 4, at 86.7 MPH on average, but this pitch has some serious dive/dart to it...really would like to see more of it.

• Like 2

Two starts now any info on his innings managememt....does he get another start or does he get a two start week next week...be interested to find out

Pretty sure he had pine tar on his cap...Not sue if this is going to be a suspension 

• Like 1

Watched his start last night, was in total control. Got a lot of weak contact. The 1 inning 'starts' should keep him fresh as we progress into the season, I just hope the Mariners continue to communicate when those instances are coming so we can bench accordingly. I'm optimistic about his ROS outlook after a couple shaky (and admittedly overreactions on my part) starts to begin the season.

He cheats and looks like CY Young. His first 7 appearances he should have used the pine tar because he looked like a joke.

I think someone last year got away with pine tar too. Seems to be if they dont question you during the game you can just claim it was NOT pine tar and get away with it. 

Posted (edited)

who doesn't use something for grip? everyone does it. get over it.

Edited by Members_Only_76

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

who doesn't use something for grip? everyone does it. get over it.

Why is it outlawed then? This is the steroids argument all over again, everyone else is using, Im going to as well. Get over it. 

I want every pitcher to have a weird substance on their cap or sock or Im not getting over. Corked bats for all or Im not getting over it. Etc

Edited by BayofPuigs

26 minutes ago, BayofPuigs said:

Why is it outlawed then? This is the steroids argument all over again, everyone else is using, Im going to as well. Get over it. 

I want every pitcher to have a weird substance on their cap or sock or Im not getting over. Corked bats for all or Im not getting over it. Etc

I'll just say that as long as they're not doing something egregious to make the ball do crazy things (deep scuff on the ball or put a heap of crisco in their pocket to make the ball break a foot more than usual), I don't really care that much. Matter of fact as a hitter you may want them to use something for grip so you don't get beaned/injured.

Yusei just needs to hide it better.

Yeah, my understanding is that the hitters don’t mind it all that much as it has a less of a chance of getting away from the pitcher and coming at their heads.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skawhomp said:

Yeah, my understanding is that the hitters don’t mind it all that much as it has a less of a chance of getting away from the pitcher and coming at their heads.

5 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I don't really care that much. Matter of fact as a hitter you may want them to use something for grip so you don't get beaned/injured.

I have no problem with this point. THEN it shouldn't be outlawed. A pitcher missing is just as likely to hang a curve or flat fastball in the zone as he is to bean you in the head though. Either let pitchers use it and see the scores drop quite a bit( YAY more reliable fantasy pitchers) or enforce the rule.

So if there are other methods other than pine tar that every pitcher is using already, unfortunately Yusei needs to use one of those and not pine tar. But if he is not called out during the game I dont want him suspended afterwards.  

Was cruising for most of the night, but the occasional fastball missed location hurt him. I bet he keeps getting better as he continues to adjust to league.

Anyone out there starting to hear any scheduling concerns with this guy will he get a second start or will he pitch one inning

Just now, bugkilla said:

Anyone out there starting to hear any scheduling concerns with this guy will he get a second start or will he pitch one inning

SEA has been pretty good about giving advance notice when he is set for that, but it has to be one of his next 2 starts coming up I'd imagine?

No link, but a few days ago I read from some Seattle sports writer that this week, both starts would be regular starts (5/13 & 5/19). I'd assume his next start after that is in jeopardt of being a short one.

Posted (edited)

started 6 in a row before his 1 inn outing. every 5-7 weeks isn't bad. hes at 3 starts since his 1 inn start.

Edited by colepenhagen

Man, be really nice to know if a short start is set for FRI...have not heard a thing about it though...

Since the 1 inning start in late April, he's gone 26.2 INN with a 2.03 ERA/.83 WHIP and 24 K/6 BB

I understand wanting to be proactive about getting him rest, but he's dealing right now.

• Like 1