urban2014

Andrew Luck 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

It seems some members have some strong opinions about Luck's retirement, which is to be expected given the timing, but those opinions need to be expressed in conformance with the site guidelines.  In particular, this means no political discussion, no attacking other members, and no offensive language.  If the discussion here does not stay focused on football, then this thread will be locked for a lengthy cooling off period, and users will be subject to a suspension of posting privileges.

Message added by tonycpsu

I know he was abysmal yesterday, but his season stats were off the charts.  Here is hoping he stays healthy 

• Like 1

I think he proved he is over the shoulder problems he had in a lost 2017 season. He finished 4th in total FP's and 5th in FP/G in my scoring system. He's back to being an elite fantasy QB.

Needs better receivers. He really has nohody. I've always thought Hilton was overrated and is only what he is because of Luck. Would be interesting if the Colts grabbed AB. 

The Colts have (by far) the biggest Salary Cap space available. They can basically grab every available player in FA they want - it's going to be like a Michael Jackson shopping spree. 

Based on this I'm going to say Luck is going to be the league MVP in 2019, as long as his shoulder holds up.

57 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Needs better receivers. He really has nohody. I've always thought Hilton was overrated and is only what he is because of Luck. Would be interesting if the Colts grabbed AB. 

No dude Hilton is very legit. Luck has always had a weak arm. He used to throw some bullets at Stabford and his first few years in the league but his mechanics were wild and he would need to get a running start towards the line to make those throws. I always questioned it. Now if he is stationary he throws these soft tosses at about 3/4 speed. He still has what it takes to do enough to run that high volume passing offense and churn out elite fantasy numbers because of it but it seems he will always throw a lot of picks and not be able to hit tight windows because of that lack of zip. I’d take him as a top 5 dynasty QB going forward but I am also honest about his athletic(specifically his arm) limitations that will prevent him from ever carrying a team with his arm like Rodgers and Wilson have(two guys who were also great scramblers like Luck earlier in their careers but are much better passers now). Put Luck in their situations and he struggles big time

Edited by elroypedro

58 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

You're way off on this. Hilton was a top-30 WR even last year with bottom-3 QBs. 

Would love to see IND sign Tyrell Williams in FA.

7 hours ago, joshua18 said:

You're way off on this. Hilton was a top-30 WR even last year with bottom-3 QBs. 

Is top 30 all of a sudden a standard for a good receiver? If Landry, Baldwin, Watkins, Lockett are on the same level as Hilton, I think you're proving my point. 

7 hours ago, elroypedro said:

No dude Hilton is very legit. Luck has always had a weak arm. He used to throw some bullets at Stabford and his first few years in the league but his mechanics were wild and he would need to get a running start towards the line to make those throws. I always questioned it. Now if he is stationary he throws these soft tosses at about 3/4 speed. He still has what it takes to do enough to run that high volume passing offense and churn out elite fantasy numbers because of it but it seems he will always throw a lot of picks and not be able to hit tight windows because of that lack of zip. I’d take him as a top 5 dynasty QB going forward but I am also honest about his athletic(specifically his arm) limitations that will prevent him from ever carrying a team with his arm like Rodgers and Wilson have(two guys who were also great scramblers like Luck earlier in their careers but are much better passers now). Put Luck in their situations and he struggles big time

Tl;dr

• Like 1

I think you should actually take the time to carefully read what they wrote before responding.

35 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Is top 30 all of a sudden a standard for a good receiver? If Landry, Baldwin, Watkins, Lockett are on the same level as Hilton, I think you're proving my point. 

Tl;dr

None of them were doing that with Tolzien/Brissett and fewer than 120 targets like Hilton did in 2017. Don't be lazy in analysis. 

Edited by joshua18

13 hours ago, joshua18 said:

"None of them were doing that with Tolzien/Brissett and fewer than 120 targets like Hilton did in 2017." 

Point taken, but you do agree Luck could really stand to have a big, honking primary to throw to. Not knocking Hilton, but he isn't that. What about in the backfield, shouldn't they add a 2/3-down RB as well? 

Colts should really invest in a WR corp. 

21 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Look at it however you want lol.  He had 4 games where he was even remotely relevant in fantasy football that year.

Posted (edited)

I like Luck a lot this year provided that he can stay healthy and think that he can finish as the #1 overall qb in fantasy even ahead of Patrick Mahomes because of Tyreek Hill's uncertainty for the Chiefs.  The additions of Devin Funchess to take double coverage away from T.Y. Hilton along with the rookie Parris Campbell should only give him more weapons to work with.  Eric Ebron and Jack Doyle along with the sleeper Mo Alie Cox are also solid tight ends.

He also plays at least half of his games every year in a dome environment which is another big plus in the winter months.  The biggest issue for him which I'm sure everyone knows, is staying healthy.

Edited by sjm76

19 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I like Luck a lot this year provided that he can stay healthy and think that he can finish as the #1 overall qb in fantasy even ahead of Patrick Mahomes because of Tyreek Hill's uncertainty for the Chiefs.  The additions of Devin Funchess to take double coverage away from T.Y. Hilton along with the rookie Parris Campbell should only give him more weapons to work with.  Eric Ebron and Jack Doyle along with the sleeper Mo Alie Cox are also solid tight ends.

He also plays at least half of his games every year in a dome environment which is another big plus in the winter months.  The biggest issue for him which I'm sure everyone knows, is staying healthy.

Where would you select him in drafts?  Earliest round?  

My top-rated QB. Unlike Mahomes he has considerable weaponry not to mention a great OL finally. If their D is legit and takes another step though they may be running more so that might bring him down a little.

14 hours ago, sjm76 said:

I have Luck as QB1 also. Wont end up with him except in one keeper league.

On 7/12/2019 at 5:42 PM, theSPANKER said:

Where would you select him in drafts?  Earliest round?  

In the three high stakes drafts I've done, he went in the 6th rd. Which is a great value for a top-3 QB IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Does anyone in this forum know anyone who plays in high stakes leagues?

This forum only have high stake leagues players that play in at least 3 high stake leagues that drafted Luck in the 6th round for great value. 

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2019 at 7:31 PM, Boudewijn said:

The Colts have (by far) the biggest Salary Cap space available. They can basically grab every available player in FA they want - it's going to be like a Michael Jackson shopping spree. 

Based on this I'm going to say Luck is going to be the league MVP in 2019, as long as his shoulder holds up.

Well, that didn't age well. They grabbed (on offense):

- Devin Funchess

- Spencer Ware

And a couple draft picks.

tenor.gif

(and on D Justin Houston, which is a big deal of course).

That leaves them with $45M, and still the biggest cap space. Which is fine, no need to spend money you don't have, but with a QB like Luck and a 10-6 season in 2018, don't you want to start hoarding and try make a Superbowl run?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Well, that didn't age well. They grabbed (on offense):

- Devin Funchess

- Spencer Ware

And a couple draft picks.

tenor.gif

(and on D Justin Houston, which is a big deal of course).

That leaves them with $45M, and still the biggest cap space. Which is fine, no need to spend money you don't have, but with a QB like Luck and a 10-6 season in 2018, don't you want to start hoarding and try make a Superbowl run?

Colts really blew it in FA this year. Your window is today and instead they did minimal. 

This is like playing basketball and passing the ball with 1 second on the clock. Just take the damn shot man. Very weak on their part. 

• Like 1

Ballard prioritized spending to extend their own pre-existing core, and wasn’t willing to go past a certain price on various FAs.  It’s hard to knock him for building his team according to his plan and not over-spending simply because he can.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Colts really blew it in FA this year. Your window is today and instead they did minimal. 

Did the same thing last year IIRC. Makes no sense.

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

Ballard prioritized spending to extend their own pre-existing core, and wasn’t willing to go past a certain price on various FAs.  It’s hard to knock him for building his team according to his plan and not over-spending simply because he can.

No one is saying "spend because you can." It's "spend because you have one of the best QBs in the league and you're supposed to be trying to field the best team possible and you have the means to do far more than you have." That doesn't mean jump at every FA or put yourself in cap hell but he took it too far the other way. I think he's a good GM, but you get no points or wins for having a ton of cap money sitting around. What's he going to do, put that money in T bills?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, bomont said:

I think he's a good GM, but you get no points or wins for having a ton of cap money sitting around. What's he going to do, put that money in T bills?

Use it to re-sign the slew of starters set to hit UFA next season, for starters.

• Like 1