urban2014

Andrew Luck 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

It seems some members have some strong opinions about Luck's retirement, which is to be expected given the timing, but those opinions need to be expressed in conformance with the site guidelines.  In particular, this means no political discussion, no attacking other members, and no offensive language.  If the discussion here does not stay focused on football, then this thread will be locked for a lengthy cooling off period, and users will be subject to a suspension of posting privileges.

Message added by tonycpsu

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

On a macro level you’re correct.   Luck has every right to leave when he feels it’s correct.   

But thousands of season ticket holders are never going to be happy seeing their franchise qb retire the last week of August.   That doesn’t make Indy fans garbage-it makes them human.  

To error is human but to forgive is divine.

After a brief moment of anger a bit of reflection and forgiveness would have been the correct route. Would Indy fans have felt better if luck went week to week for 16 weeks slow playing the injury and then retiring? Same result. Those who booed were too absorbed in their own self-interest, be it fantasy football or financial investment to see that a man with a family did what was best for him and in fact did not leave the team lingering, potentially holding a roster spot for him when he knew he was done. He did the Colts more good than harm last night. They can move forward now and use that roster spot.

Those Indy fans that were booing last night should go study up on Chad Kelly, he is a pretty dang good QB that might make starts for them. He was a better pure QB prospect than Maholmes coming into the draft, he just had the off the field issues.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

There's a big difference between "never going to be happy" and intensely personal booing. You can be unhappy in silence and even show it that way too. The decent human thing to do would have been nothing but they didn't find it yesterday.

If you think Indy’s fans behaved badly just consider for a moment how this would have gone down if Luck played for the Philadelphia Eagles.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

There's a big difference between "never going to be happy" and intensely personal booing. You can be unhappy in silence and even show it that way too. The decent human thing to do would have been nothing but they didn't find it yesterday.

Agree to disagree I guess.  There wasn’t time for fans to process these emotions.  If this announcement comes in July and they boo him relentlessly at a speech in September-  then that’s crap.   But this was completely out of the blue.  Their reaction was honest and wholly appropriate in the moment.  

Season tickets are bought...family travel arrangements made...and a kick in the gut from your most important player.   Doesn’t help that the Colts have a history of being untrustworthy with fans and players. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Fan is short for fanatic. People expressing themselves irrationally is a thing you should expect at these things. Especially a sporting event that serves alcohol. 

I'm not gonna tell Andrew Luck how to live his life and i'm not going to tell fanatic's how to express themselves verbally short of something truely hateful and vile.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

If you think Indy’s fans behaved badly just consider for a moment how this would have gone down if Luck played for the Philadelphia Eagles.

I don't think the problem is specific to Indy fans and I agree that some other crowds would have reacted worse and but they were the problem yesterday 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Fan is short for fanatic. People expressing themselves irrationally is a thing you should expect at these things. Especially a sporting event that serves alcohol. 

I'm not gonna tell Andrew Luck how to live his life and i'm not going to tell fanatic's how to express themselves verbally short of something truely hateful and vile.

Fair enough. I'm not asking you to do either of those things.

58 minutes ago, dsrich said:

Boohoo about your stupid fantasy teams. Get over it.

Fantasy teams? I have zero shares of Luck nor am I a Colts fan. I am strictly looking at this as an outside observer.

It's amazing how the same people that bashed Le'veon Bell last year for holding out and walking out on his team and organization for not supporting him are praising Luck for walking away from his team, fans and organization that actually supported him financially and with the players on the field. Tell me how does this make sense?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nonstopfan said:

Fantasy teams? I have zero shares of Luck nor am I a Colts fan. I am strictly looking at this as an outside observer.

It's amazing how the same people that bashed Le'veon Bell last year for holding out and walking out on his team and organization for not supporting him are praising Luck for walking away from his team, fans and organization that actually supported him financially and with the players on the field. Tell me how does this make sense?

Uh Bell walked out because he wanted more money.  Luck walked out because of his health, leaving quite a bit of money and possibly having to give some back.  Not the same at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Those are two very different situations. Lev held out to make more money. His actions were 100% fueled by greed.

Luck is leaving 58 mil on the table. His motivation is his personal health and happiness.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Uh Bell walked out because he wanted more money.  Luck walked out because of his health, leaving quite a bit of money and possibly having to give some back.  Not the same at all.

They both walked out on their team, fan base and organization at awful times. Both teams were Super Bowl caliber teams.

Edited by nonstopfan

No qualms with Luck retiring. Gotta do what is best for his life after football. Timing sucks sure, but he didnt plan on retiring this way.

• Like 2

Just now, nonstopfan said:

They both walked out on their team, fan base and organization. Both teams were Super Bowl caliber teams. 

You're oversimplifying this. Intention is everything. Luck's intention was to finally be healthy and happy and enjoy life with his family. Lev's intention was to get more money.

1 minute ago, nonstopfan said:

They both walked out on their team, fan base and organization at awful times. Both teams were Super Bowl caliber teams.

The "why" matters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

No qualms with Luck retiring. Gotta do what is best for his life after football. Timing sucks sure, but he didnt plan on retiring this way.

And that’s where reasonable people will eventually settle.  I blame neither the fans expressing their shock and disappointment or the player doing what’s best for his life after football.  Tough situation and timing.  

The issue is if Luck tried to retire earlier this summer and Indy fabricated this ankle injury confusion to sell season tickets before pulling out the rug on fans.

Just a theory...any thoughts?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, awesomesince86 said:

You're oversimplifying this. Intention is everything. Luck's intention was to finally be healthy and happy and enjoy life with his family. Lev's intention was to get more money.

Some people value money. Some people value family. Some people value both. Some people value money for security for themselves and their family. You are missing the point.

Again, they both walked out on their organizations, fan bases and teams at very bad times. Both fan bases, organizations and teams expected their star player to be with them for the upcoming season. 

Luck and Bell could've both handled their situations differently. They didn't. They left their teams and fans hanging. At least Bell threw out some messages stating his intentions. Luck did not which makes it worse. So, yeah you are right. These situations may be different. At least we kind of, sort of knew where Bell was heading. There was at least a possibility for Bell to hold out. No one in their right mind would ever guess that Luck would retire. Why not try to push through for your loyal fans and teammates counting on you and have been counting on you for years, who purchased your jersey, gear and tickets and make your decision after the season.

Yet...people criticize Bell and not Luck?

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

And that’s where reasonable people will eventually settle.  I blame neither the fans expressing their shock and disappointment or the player doing what’s best for his life after football.  Tough situation and timing.  

The issue is if Luck tried to retire earlier this summer and Indy fabricated this ankle injury confusion to sell season tickets before pulling out the rug on fans.

Just a theory...any thoughts?

Very interesting.  I want to believe they wouldn't do that but clearly it's possible they asked him to wait.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, awesomesince86 said:

Those are two very different situations. Lev held out to make more money. His actions were 100% fueled by greed.

Luck is leaving 58 mil on the table. His motivation is his personal health and happiness.

Luck has made slightly over $97 million since entering the league in 2012.

Le'Veon made slightly over $16 million since entering the league in 2013 before his new contract.

$81 million more earned. 

Le'Veon didn't want to risk a life altering injury for how much he's earned.

He risks MUCH MORE in regards to punishment on the body while making MUCH LESS.

He and his family would live a much happier life with more money...perhaps...$81 million 

Edited by this guy right here
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

You honestly believe people are not criticizing Luck’s decision? Colt fans are freaking unhappy and no doubt have voiced there displeasure. There must be some Colt forum that is being hosted with hate. They booed last night when he walked off the field. 

Edited by shakestreet

3 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Luck has made slightly over $97 million since entering the league in 2012.

Le'Veon made slightly over $16 million since entering the league in 2013 before his new contract.

$81 million more earned. 

Le'Veon didn't want to risk a life altering injury for how much he's earned compared to players who are at a MUCH LESS likely chance of getting injured. He and his family would live a much happier life with more money...perhaps...$81 million 

I don't get how this relates to Luck retiring for health and happiness. Are you insinuating that Luck wouldn't have retired if he had only made 16 mil?

You're making it about money when it's pretty clear that money isn't the motivation for Luck's decision. If it was, he would continue to be injured, unable to play, and collect his 58 mil that hes owed on his contract.

Surprised by how many people think he’ll be back after this season. He had multiple interests outside of football even before he was drafted and will have multiple opportunities to make plenty of money without getting his skull bashed in. If this is a health decision, there is a 0% chance he’s coming back.

1 minute ago, TribeFoo said:

Surprised by how many people think he’ll be back after this season. He had multiple interests outside of football even before he was drafted and will have multiple opportunities to make plenty of money without getting his skull bashed in. If this is a health decision, there is a 0% chance he’s coming back.

He’s 29.  it’s not inconceivable he could be back at 32 fully healthy and missing the game.  That’s still prime years for a qb.   

8 minutes ago, awesomesince86 said:

I don't get how this relates to Luck retiring for health and happiness. Are you insinuating that Luck wouldn't have retired if he had only made 16 mil?

You're making it about money when it's pretty clear that money isn't the motivation for Luck's decision. If it was, he would continue to be injured, unable to play, and collect his 58 mil that hes owed on his contract.

READ!........

16 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Lev held out to make more money. His actions were 100% fueled by greed.

Pro Lev. Not Anti Luck.

29 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Some people value money. Some people value family. Some people value both. Some people value money for security for themselves and their family. You are missing the point.

Again, they both walked out on their organizations, fan bases and teams at very bad times. Both fan bases, organizations and teams expected their star player to be with them for the upcoming season. 

Luck and Bell could've both handled their situations differently. They didn't. They left their teams and fans hanging. At least Bell threw out some messages stating his intentions. Luck did not which makes it worse. So, yeah you are right. These situations may be different. At least we kind of, sort of knew where Bell was heading. There was at least a possibility for Bell to hold out. No one in their right mind would ever guess that Luck would retire. Why not try to push through for your loyal fans and teammates counting on you and have been counting on you for years, who purchased your jersey, gear and tickets and make your decision after the season.

I still think you're missing the point. I'm in total agreement that both screwed their team over. But it's the intention and the why that's important, at least in my opinion. Luck left money on the table to be happy and regain his health. Lev bailed on his team because he wanted to get paid and didn't want to roll the dice on the chance of injury. I guess one could twist it and say that it was because he wanted to be happy as well and money makes him happy. But are we really gonna sit here and try to equate the two situations?

7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

The dude retired from a game in which he makes millions because he couldn't mentally handle it anymore.

Which makes me wonder why the f--- do I still play fantasy football?

the brady vs luck rivalry never caught steam because of his injuries. Sux Luck was alawy hurt. Would have been fun like the the whole manning vs brady games