urban2014

Andrew Luck 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

It seems some members have some strong opinions about Luck's retirement, which is to be expected given the timing, but those opinions need to be expressed in conformance with the site guidelines.  In particular, this means no political discussion, no attacking other members, and no offensive language.  If the discussion here does not stay focused on football, then this thread will be locked for a lengthy cooling off period, and users will be subject to a suspension of posting privileges.

Message added by tonycpsu

2 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

You don't know what other people do, so refrain from speaking on it.

Plenty of people have jobs that take a toll on their mind and body.  The vast majority of them make in their entire lives fractions of the amount Luck makes in a year.

There is no more right for an NFL player to quit their job than there is for anybody else - but there is the luxury to make that choice.

And you don’t have a right to tell me to refrain from speaking about anything, it’s a forum for discussion.  The reality is most of us PROBABLY don’t have that same toll placed on us mentally and physically (is that phrased better for you), but for the vast majority of us it pales in comparison to the demands of an NFL player.

Back on point, all of us, regardless of what any of us do, have every right to walk away from our job at any point (my comment about “exponentially increasing that right” is simply an acknowledgment that NFL players have more factors to consider than the average person based on the demands of their job). The amount of money Luck makes is completely irrelevant.  He is simply fortunate enough to have the luxury of making that decision from a financial standpoint.  All of us can be jealous of him having this luxury, but we didn’t choose that career path.

No one would fault you for walking away from a job for any multitude of reasons (unsafe, pay, ethical reasons, career change).  And no one would have the right to tell you to stay on for another half year because you “owed it” to the company.  Who are we to hold an NFL player to a higher standard?

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

When someone runs out on their responsibilities, they're supposed to be cheered?

The runaway bride, the deadbeat dad, the AWOL soldier shouldn't be booed?

Luck is not the equivalent to those - but his actions are of the same type. 

Luck was not self-employed. He was the most important employee of a billion dollar company who was pivotal to the success of that organization, his coworkers, and their customers. 

And he bailed.  Suddenly.  While under contract (unlike Bell).  Yes he left money on the table.  That's what happens when you quit your job.

Man's gotta do what's right for himself, but let's not pretend he made an admirable decision.  He absolutely deserves criticism.  Doesn't make him wrong or unjustified, but neither should he be praised for it.

Dude quit.  It is what it is.

Nobody called it admirable, don't put words into people's mouths. 

Peyton Manning made Indianapolis a football town.

Andrew Luck made Indianapolis a basketball town.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

You quoted me, and I sure didn't. He made a decision, and a very justifiable and rational one. I'm simply unwilling to be judgmental of him for it, as so many posters seem to be about a decision that they don't understand and that has nothing to do with them. 

No, but you certainly were willing to be judgemental of the fans.

I was simply noting the other side of the situation. 

56 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

You don't know what other people do, so refrain from speaking on it.

Plenty of people have jobs that take a toll on their mind and body.  The vast majority of them make in their entire lives fractions of the amount Luck makes in a year.

There is no more right for an NFL player to quit their job than there is for anybody else - but there is the luxury to make that choice.

yes. and those people often keep doing those jobs only because they can't afford not to. given the opportunity I'm sure many of them would also quit their physically or mentally destructive job. Luck could afford to leave a job that was physically and mentally harmful for him. He looked at the pros and cons and decided to walk away. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Good on Luck, if you aren't happy, and if your body and mind are decaying, get out. Kudos to him!

Edited by Rosenburger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the leg injury is worse than we know, if it is the same injury as Durant has and he plays in week 1 and blows out his Achillies then he's done anyway. He might have saved himself a gruesome injury and another year of rehab, I don't blame him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Nobody called it admirable, don't put words into people's mouths. 

hell. i'll bite. Luck looked at what the game was doing to his body, probably thought about what it might do to his mind and how the fallout would affect him and his family (news came out this summer about him and his wife expecting their first child) and decided to take the money he'd made already and go spend time with his family and travel the world. good on him. That seems like a healthy perspective and a good read on what a work/life balance should be. I think you could pretty easily argue that if more people decided to spend more time on their family life after they'd made "enough" money the world would be a better place. 

He worked at a job where 10 seconds of activity can change a life irrevocably for the worst. There's no reason for him to play even one more down than he wants to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, yossarian said:

hell. i'll bite. Luck looked at what the game was doing to his body, probably thought about what it might do to his mind and how the fallout would affect him and his family (news came out this summer about him and his wife expecting their first child) and decided to take the money he'd made already and go spend time with his family and travel the world. good on him. That seems like a healthy perspective and a good read on what a work/life balance should be. I think you could pretty easily argue that if more people decided to spend more time on their family life after they'd made "enough" money the world would be a better place. 

He worked at a job where 10 seconds of activity can change a life irrevocably for the worst. There's no reason for him to play even one more down than he wants to. 

Bite on what? You never called it admirable. It takes a level of courage, sure, but it's not admirable. You basically just outlined the exact same perspective that I have on the situation.

Seems like the majority of players and former players are supporting and understanding his decision.

Here's what Ryan Diem (Former Colts Lineman) had to say:

"Still stunned by the news, but it’s sad to see so many keyboard cowboys get downright disrespectful and mean spirited about Luck’s decision. As a person that has been in his shoes, and had to make that decision to walk away from a game they love, and seen the long term effects of the game on people close to them, I 100% support his decision and respect it. People that don’t understand need to recognize that we are paid entertainers. I love and respect the passion for the game/city/hometeam, but when that game starts to affect your ability to function in the real world as a person, then it’s time. Obviously, the timing of this wasn’t great, but I truly believe he was doing everything he could to get back out there this season. The guy is beyond passionate about football, his teammates and the city of Indianapoils. You could see the heartache in his presser. Respect his decision, and quit the hate. He’s going to go on to do amazing things in this world."

I'm not sure there was a person more well liked by the players in the NFL than Andrew Luck.  Stinks for Colts fan because everything was pointing towards a playoff run, but look on the bright side, you'll probably end up with Tua or Trevor and you can go back to hating on Jim Irsay.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Colts not going after the money telling me that they knew of this decision long ago and waited till the last minute to either hoping that Luck changes his mind or now it gives them a good reason to tank hard for that number 1 pick. 

1 minute ago, ginocan said:

Colts not going after the money telling me that they knew of this decision long ago and waited till the last minute to either hoping that Luck changes his mind or now it gives them a good reason to tank hard for that number 1 pick. 

I think Luck would probably give back what he didn't earn anyway. It would be a bad look for the Colts to go after money. He wasn't retiring because of his disappointment with the franchise and lack of winning (Sanders/Calvin Johnson). Although wear and tear did play a part in those players' decisions, they would have kept playing in better situations.

4 hours ago, soccerphysio said:

No one would fault you for walking away from a job for any multitude of reasons (unsafe, pay, ethical reasons, career change).  And no one would have the right to tell you to stay on for another half year because you “owed it” to the company.  Who are we to hold an NFL player to a higher standard?

Idk. I assume when you talk about "us" or "you", you're talking about the rank and file.

The CEOs of Fortune 100 companies don't just up and quit when the stakeholders want that person there. They at least assist with the transition to new leadership.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Idk. I assume when you talk about "us" or "you", you're talking about the rank and file.

The CEOs of Fortune 100 companies don't just up and quit when the stakeholders want that person there. They at least assist with the transition to new leadership.

https://fortune.com/2014/10/21/ceos-quit-right-reasons/

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

This is the point that SO MANY people are missing. It's not necessarily about why he left. It's about how it was done and executed on his part.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Yes, that was the intent.  Luck was a very important “employee” of the company, but not the CEO.

You bring up a good point.  But while many CEO’s may help with the transition after they resign, they aren’t putting their physical well being on the line by staying to do so.  But CEO’s do cut ties immediately all the time when they leave for “greener pastures,” they don’t have any obligation to stay (other than watching their own stock in the company plummeting if his/her departure causes market panic).  

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Luck did stay on in some capacity to help the other QB’s transition into starter roles, that seems to be the kind of guy he is.

4 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

This is the point that SO MANY people are missing. It's not necessarily about why he left. It's about how it was done and executed on his part.

I don’t think we are ignoring the timing of it or how it was executed, it definitely is not ideal.  But we don’t know what has been going on behind the scenes that lead to this decision.  Did the owners ask him to delay it for ticket sale reasons?  Was there a recent development/complication that made him realize that an imminent return (first half of the season) was not going to happen?  Luck is an extremely smart and considerate guy, I just can’t fathom him doing something to purposely screw the team over, there has to be more to the story that we may never know about.

It doesn’t sound like he was going to ever be at 100% this season, so counting in him to take them to the Super Bowl was probably not going to happen anyway.

Going forward, at least this allows Brissett to take ownership of the offense as his, which should be a good thing.

• Like 3

The worst part of Luck retiring is it makes every player on the Colts offense pretty much worthless.

Brissett is horrible and I wouldn't feel comfortable starting any Indy player regardless of what round I could land them.

The lack of quality QBs is unbelievable. When QBs like Brisett start, Lamar Jackson starts, Murray is the 1st pick in draft(will be a bust), I could go on. All the best QBs are 34 and over. What happens when they're gone?

The NFL is in trouble and headed towards becoming like college.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raidaz18 said:

The worst part of Luck retiring is it makes every player on the Colts offense pretty much worthless.

Brissett is horrible and I wouldn't feel comfortable starting any Indy player regardless of what round I could land them.

The lack of quality QBs is unbelievable. When QBs like Brisett start, Lamar Jackson starts, Murray is the 1st pick in draft(will be a bust), I could go on. All the best QBs are 34 and over. What happens when they're gone?

By my count you make 9 different points in this post  and I disagree with all 9 of them. Cheers!

• Like 2

I took him and Hilton last Saturday, however, i got more upset a few hours after the news broke when i realized the Capt Andrew Luck twitter feed will have to retire.  

10 years ago i'd have yelled until my throat was sore, but, its just a game now.    Then again, if my commish keeps not uploading the rosters so i can drop him, Hulk Brian's gonna make an appearance

Odds of him unretiring next year after he heals up and realizes that he's bored not playing NFL football?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, raidaz18 said:

Mahomes and Watson are 23, Mayfield and Goff are 24, Trubisky is 25, Wentz is 26. Russell Wilson and Cam Newton are only 30. 

The NFL is ripe with good,young QB's from a real life and fantasy perspective.

Edited by OrangeAggie
  • Like 3