urban2014

Andrew Luck 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

It seems some members have some strong opinions about Luck's retirement, which is to be expected given the timing, but those opinions need to be expressed in conformance with the site guidelines.  In particular, this means no political discussion, no attacking other members, and no offensive language.  If the discussion here does not stay focused on football, then this thread will be locked for a lengthy cooling off period, and users will be subject to a suspension of posting privileges.

Message added by tonycpsu

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Use it to re-sign the slew of starters set to hit UFA next season, for starters.

Out of curiousity I checked - I'm guessing you didn't, since Ebron, Doyle, Funchess and Vinatieri are hardly a slew. There are others but those are the only ones of consequence they might (might) really want or need to re-sign, and even then, none of those guys are a lock to be re-signed (probably at least one of the TEs). And it's not like any of those guys would cost a ton. 

Edited by bomont
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, bomont said:

Out of curiousity I checked - I'm guessing you didn't, since Ebron, Doyle, Funchess and Vinatieri are hardly a slew. There are others but those are the only ones of consequence they might (might) really want or need to re-sign, and even then, none of those guys are a lock to be re-signed (probably at least one of the TEs). And it's not like any of those guys would cost a ton. 

Left out Kelly, though they do have an option.  Kenny Moore becomes an RFA as well.  Point stands however you wish to nit-pick - they want to keep their core together, and obviously weren’t enamored with what was available.  And they have no idea who of their players might suddenly blow up and have an All-Pro season.  

Don't think I'm nit-picking but whatever - I maintain they could have and should have done more FA wise. Sitting around hoping some player "might suddenly blow up" doesn't sound like a great strat when you have FAs out there you KNOW are good and have produced available. But hey they seem to be doing well and amazingly no team is calling me about a GM job, just IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bomont said:

Don't think I'm nit-picking but whatever - I maintain they could have and should have done more FA wise. Sitting around hoping some player "might suddenly blow up" doesn't sound like a great strat when you have FAs out there you KNOW are good and have produced available. But hey they seem to be doing well and amazingly no team is calling me about a GM job, just IMO.

Perhaps that wasn’t the right word, so I apologize.  I just wonder who it was they should’ve grabbed but didn’t in FA.  It wasn’t that impressive of a class, in my opinion.  I think Ballard honestly just likes who they have at the moment and wants that group to grow and develop together - he obviously prizes continuity and chemistry, and wants to give his players a chance to further acclimate to a brand new system and scheme.  It’s not as if he ignored FA altogether.  He improved the WR corps, the RB corps, and the D considerably.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BMcP said:

Ballard prioritized spending to extend their own pre-existing core, and wasn’t willing to go past a certain price on various FAs.  It’s hard to knock him for building his team according to his plan and not over-spending simply because he can.

You can 100% knock a guy for doing nothing in a closing window. 

Money does nothing for a franchise with only a few years to get it done sitting inside a druggie billionaires wallet. 

56 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You can 100% knock a guy for doing nothing in a closing window. 

Money does nothing for a franchise with only a few years to get it done sitting inside a druggie billionaires wallet. 

Is Luck nearing the end of his career or something?  Does he have a life-threatening illness I haven’t heard about?  Why is their window “closing”?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Perhaps that wasn’t the right word, so I apologize.  I just wonder who it was they should’ve grabbed but didn’t in FA.  It wasn’t that impressive of a class, in my opinion.  I think Ballard honestly just likes who they have at the moment and wants that group to grow and develop together - he obviously prizes continuity and chemistry, and wants to give his players a chance to further acclimate to a brand new system and scheme.  It’s not as if he ignored FA altogether.  He improved the WR corps, the RB corps, and the D considerably.

No worries. As for the FA class, which, this year or last? I'd have to go back and remind myself about all the specifics, but for 2 yrs running I didn't get why a team like them with some key positions in place (above all stud QB obviously) and so very much cap money did so little. I esp was baffled by people praising Ballard for mostly sitting on a huge pile of money and NOT doing more to improve the team. Again not saying spend every penny for every big name FA but damn...about the only "big" signing in 2 yrs I believe is Houston. Funchess will probably be a minor player at most and Ware little more than backup fodder. Hell they could have signed someone like Brown or better yet Bell and STILL been in good cap shape. Can you imagine their O with either of those guys added? d'oh!  

IIRC the Jets were similar, a ton of money and seemed to lay back more or less, but at least they did go out and land Bell. 

Still all that being said, Luck's O looks promising and if (if!) he stays healthy, has as much promise as anyone for a big year. Top QB prospect this year. Mahomes is looking at a big regression and potentially a very inferior set of weapons, Watson still has a leaky OL and a poor run game....yeah Luck is easily QB1 IMO

Edited by bomont
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Is Luck nearing the end of his career or something?  Does he have a life-threatening illness I haven’t heard about?  Why is their window “closing”?

When luck is healthy and you have a team around him getting it done too, that's your window. He can easily be lost again for another 2+ years and then they are bottom feeders again.

Last year showed me they were close. I'd have gone all in this year myself. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

When luck is healthy and you have a team around him getting it done too, that's your window. He can easily be lost again for another 2+ years and then they are bottom feeders again.

But, I suppose my whole point is: he is healthy (and young), and the GM is doing all he can to preserve the team around him.  Why would the window be closing under those circumstances?

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

But, I suppose my whole point is: he is healthy (and young), and the GM is doing all he can to preserve the team around him.  Why would the window be closing under those circumstances?

You need to forge the iron while it's hot. Right now they may not be blazing hot, but they are definitely on the plus side.

Last season they had the 5th offense, and the 10th defense; they drafted a ton of guys on D, which looks good, but why not add a couple FAs on O and D and go for it? Yes, you are right that they need to pay starters next year, but why not load up this year and see who you can or have to move next season? Especially on D there were a lot of FAs available, and I don't think you can ever have too many defenders.

Edit: Anyway, I guess that's fully up to them, and like Bomont, the NFL hasn't called me yet for any of the empty GM positions, so let's see what happens.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 2

If ownership is on board, its prudent to use option bonus money in lieu of signing bonuses.   Set yourself up to avoid dead cap later on for whomever needs to be cut loose.   

Next year's FA class doesn't look great.   Lots of talent but most of the best players will be well above 30.  Its not really good business to sign a ton of those guys, so i'm guessing we're right back here next offseason, wondering why they're holding onto cap.   

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all  

This isn’t sounding great. I may have to give some thought to Mack as well.

• Thanks 1

Had a choice between Watson and Luck for a keeper, I want luck but man I hope he isn't going to have one of those years 

On 7/12/2019 at 5:48 PM, bomont said:

My top-rated QB. Unlike Mahomes he has considerable weaponry not to mention a great OL finally. If their D is legit and takes another step though they may be running more so that might bring him down a little.

What?

Kelce, Hill, Watkins aren't "considerable?"

I guess you missed that I wrote that before the decision on Hill had been made. So he basically had Kelce. No, one guy is not "considerable" for an entire offense. Hill makes a huge diff obviously. 

Luck is just too injury-prone to count on as a starter, let alone draft fairly high.  He has the talent to be the #1 overall qb in the league, that has never been a question, but he always seems to have some ailment.

6 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Luck is just too injury-prone to count on as a starter, let alone draft fairly high.  He has the talent to be the #1 overall qb in the league, that has never been a question, but he always seems to have some ailment.

Yup I’m probably out on Luck as one of the elite QB options for consideration in 2 QB leagues, unless things are really looking better for him by end of preseason. But even if it’s looking good by then, I’m not sure I can accept the risk for how high the draft cost will be in 2 QB leagues. 

Sitting out on more practice. Man I am getting bummed because I was dead set on taking Luck as a keeper over Watson but I hate when Luck has an injury, he never seems to shake it and it'll linger all season long. 

On 7/16/2019 at 12:19 AM, BMcP said:

There is only so long you can keep a team together when contracts start expiring.

2 hours ago, Mr.Joshua said:

There is only so long you can keep a team together when contracts start expiring.

Certainly - but one of the main reasons Ballard has refused to exhaust the war chest in FA is to allow him to extend all of his key core players.

He could've spent more in FA and still had plenty left to do that, but anyway, onto current news......

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001038992/article/colts-andrew-luck-thinks-he-will-be-ready-for-week-1

On the surface this appears to be not much of anything, and maybe it isn't. A calf injury sounds pretty tame. But as much as I like the guy and think he'll be great this year IF healthy, that "if" still has me skittish. 

On 7/31/2019 at 5:57 PM, sjm76 said:

Agreed, and the problem with the QB position is there are probably ten or so of them that have the talent and/or situation to be the #1 overall fantasy QB.  Hard to pull the trigger on the 2nd one going off the board when he has a long injury history, and is currently dealing with an injury.  

1 hour ago, bomont said:

He could've spent more in FA and still had plenty left to do that, but anyway, onto current news......

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001038992/article/colts-andrew-luck-thinks-he-will-be-ready-for-week-1

On the surface this appears to be not much of anything, and maybe it isn't. A calf injury sounds pretty tame. But as much as I like the guy and think he'll be great this year IF healthy, that "if" still has me skittish. 

It’s less than nothing.    His arm is reportedly strong and he’s got the best offensive pieces of his career to work with.   But this is the month of overreactions....

A little disappointing that he hasn't been on the practice field and there still seem to be questions about his health.  Some were predicting that he'd be the #1 overall QB this year.  I doubt he plays all 16.  Maybe age is catching up to him. 

If he's not out there in the next 2 weeks, it's going to make me downgrade T.Y. as well, who would have been a perfect late round 2 target.

There's really no reason to put him "out there" in pre-season. That won't change my ranking even a little.

• Like 1