urban2014

Andrew Luck 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

It seems some members have some strong opinions about Luck's retirement, which is to be expected given the timing, but those opinions need to be expressed in conformance with the site guidelines.  In particular, this means no political discussion, no attacking other members, and no offensive language.  If the discussion here does not stay focused on football, then this thread will be locked for a lengthy cooling off period, and users will be subject to a suspension of posting privileges.

Message added by tonycpsu

Just now, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Just traded for him in my dynasty league. What a frustrating player

Why trade for him if he frustrates you?

Colts owner Jim Irsay said Andrew Luck (calf) is dealing with a "small little bone issue."

It adds some details to the injury that's sidelined Luck at training camp. It's obviously good that Luck isn't dealing with anything more serious, but his status still can't be taken for granted. The Colts have maintained confidence that Luck will be ready for Week 1.

Source: SiriusXM NFL
Aug 13, 2019, 9:20 AM ET

The "famed" David Chao is saying that it might be something called "myositis ossificans", which basically is a non-cancerous condition of small bone forming in small tissue after trauma.  It's obviously causing him enough pain that he can't practice.

I'm going to bump Luck down a few notches until we get more clarity. 

• Like 1

Not worried-  His big test was last season.   The guy is tough and this sounds like a typical, manageable condition NFL players get.  

Can always take a backup later if that helps u sleep better.    Colts are going to put up some big scores. 

I'm not targeting Luck this year but is anybody else getting deja vu from a couple of years ago when the team was being very casual (publicly) about his injury and he was week to week from the start of training camp until the season was damn near over and they finally came clean that he would not be returning? I'm sure there are very different circumstances at play here, but if you drafted Luck that season, it has to be in the back of your mind. 

• Like 3

Sleeperbot says MRI revealed calf strain. No surgery, but needs rehab, no details on length of rehab

Total DND. Damn. Now people will target QBs I want more. 

His name should Andrew NO Luck. Have the dedication, mechanics, Football IQs to be the athletic version of Peyton Manning but injuries starting to derail his career. Such a shame. Hope he can shakes off all those bugs and get back on track to be the future HOF QB potential. 

K I’m worried now.  😬 

high ankle and week 1 isn’t a lock....eesh.  At least the price will come down so you can stash him early season.  

I want no part of Luck this year in redraft given current situation and the history of total lack of transparency by the Colts WRT Luck.  In the one redraft league I picked him this year I sold him early for a loss and won't look back.  I don't exactly have the warm fuzzies about Brissett either. 

If you wondered why the Colts didn't do much in free agency and only signed Funchess this year despite (A) having the most salary cap money to spend (B having been a playoff team last year and a legit contender today, and (C) being in a short championship window with Luck,  I think this is your answer.  The team knew Luck might not be ready to play this year, thus spending big dough to bring in pricey FAs for the 2019 season would have been pointless.  Roll over the unused salary cap to next year and go all in like the Rams did last year to win a Lombardi.  

It's circumstancial evidence to be sure but explains a lot about how the Colts and Luck are behaving this year.  

1 minute ago, jumper said:

If you wondered why the Colts didn't do much in free agency and only signed Funchess this year despite (A) having the most salary cap money to spend (B having been a playoff team last year and a legit contender today, and (C) being in a short championship window with Luck,  I think this is your answer.  The team knew Luck might not be ready to play this year, thus spending big dough to bring in pricey FAs for the 2019 season would have been pointless.  Roll over the unused salary cap to next year and go all in like the Rams did last year to win a Lombardi.  

It's circumstancial evidence to be sure but explains a lot about how the Colts and Luck are behaving this year.  

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are implying, but are you saying this is an injury issue that may have been known long ago, prior to FA?

Just now, nromn said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are implying, but are you saying this is an injury issue that may have been known long ago, prior to FA?

Yes, that's what I'm implying.  The news reports have already said he's been dealing with it for "months" with 3-4 months being commonly quoted.  It's not much of a stretch to say that it might have been longer than that, and been a consideration even in March (5 months ago) when the FA window opened. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jumper said:

Yes, that's what I'm implying.  The news reports have already said he's been dealing with it for "months" with 3-4 months being commonly quoted.  It's not much of a stretch to say that it might have been longer than that, and been a consideration even in March (5 months ago) when the FA window opened. 

Gotcha. Could very well be. I guess I haven't paid close enough attention and didn't know he's been dealing with it for a while. Definitely an ominous sign to this seasons prospects if this is something that's been on going vs recently popped up.

Took him in the 10th round tonight and grabbed Dak late as an insurance policy.  IMO he's worth the risk if he's dropping into the double digit rounds.