oban14

Sony Michel 2019 Outlook

On 1/15/2019 at 10:52 AM, Wild Thing said:

just because BB wants us all to know how smart he is.

CD48FyWWAAANlW2.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 2:59 PM, ThreadKiller said:

Did Bill tell you that directly? I'm jealous of your sources!

EDIT: Smart money says his lack of passing game usage has nothing to do with his ability or lack of ability. It has to do with reliability and experience. He was late to camp and dealt with injuries so never fully settled into the passing game. I doubt Bill drafted him in the 1st round to be a predictable 2 down back. The evolution of this offense is pointing to Sony having a role in the passing game next year. Pending health, he has a lot of value.

Michel was drafted to fill Dion Lewis’ role in the offense which is exactly what happened this year. He’s not replacing James White’s role.

32 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

Michel was drafted to fill Dion Lewis’ role in the offense which is exactly what happened this year. He’s not replacing James White’s role.

This is simply not true either. Please stop saying things that is only your baseless speculation and trying to pass it as fact. Dion Lewis had a passing game role and contributed in a much different way than Sony Michel.

No one ever even implied that he was replacing James White’s role lol. When Sony has an increased role in the passing game than what he did this year, I’ll be sure to requote your misinformed speculation.

Edited by ThreadKiller

34 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

This is simply not true either. Please stop saying things that is only your baseless speculation and trying to pass it as fact. Dion Lewis had a passing game role and contributed in a much different way than Sony Michel.

No one ever even implied that he was replacing James White’s role lol. When Sony has an increased role in the passing game than what he did this year, I’ll be sure to requote your misinformed speculation.

Lewis has 17-36 receptions his 3 years with New England. I was speaking more to how the used Michel during the games. The plays they call for him. So he’s Dion Lewis without the receptions in the Pats offense.

And in regards to the bold and as a Pats fan, I hope I’m wrong and you requote me because Michel in 2018 did not look like a first round pick. He looked okay.

Edited by Wild Thing

3 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

Lewis has 17-36 receptions his 3 years with New England. I was speaking more to how the used Michel during the games. The plays they call for him. So he’s Dion Lewis without the receptions in the Pats offense.

And in regards to the bold and as a Pats fan, I hope I’m wrong and you requote me because Michel in 2018 did not look like a first round pick. He looked okay.

Yeah, he looked like someone who had several injuries and hasn’t been 100%. He has looked like a different player than he looked while at UGA (I live in GA now so I’ve seen a lot of Michel). Tough to hold that against him when assessing his ability.

“He’s Dion Lewis without the receptions.” What does that even mean? There is zero comparison to these two players and how they are/were used by the Patriots. Zero. In fact, I’d argue there’s no such thing as the “Dion Lewis” role. There’s a “James White, Danny Woodhead, Shane Vereen, Kevin Faulk” role. Or “BJGE, Ridley, Blount” role as big back.

Lewis was used a good amount in passing game:

2015: 7 games, 36 catches. That’s a lot

2016: 7 games, 17 catches. 2-3 per game

2017: 16 games, 32 catches. 2 per game (15% of his overall touches were receptions.

To say the the role Lewis had and the role Sony has had so far in 2018 are one in the same is literally 100% incorrect. The only similarity they have is leading the team in carries (once for Lewis in 2017 with 180 carries) and being a running back.

Edited by ThreadKiller

10 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

I genuinely missed my Michel discussions with DHC over in the DH ‘18 thread - they have been long since deleted, but the debate had to do with whether he’d be drafted in the first round and live up to that status.  I think the arrow continues to point way up for Sony.  I wouldn’t hesitate to draft him in the late-second, even in PPR.

5 hours ago, BMcP said:

I genuinely missed my Michel discussions with DHC over in the DH ‘18 thread - they have been long since deleted, but the debate had to do with whether he’d be drafted in the first round and live up to that status.  I think the arrow continues to point way up for Sony.  I wouldn’t hesitate to draft him in the late-second, even in PPR.

I hope I’m wrong guys and much of how he looked was due to his injury.

12 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Yeah, he looked like someone who had several injuries and hasn’t been 100%. He has looked like a different player than he looked while at UGA (I live in GA now so I’ve seen a lot of Michel). Tough to hold that against him when assessing his ability.

“He’s Dion Lewis without the receptions.” What does that even mean? There is zero comparison to these two players and how they are/were used by the Patriots. Zero. In fact, I’d argue there’s no such thing as the “Dion Lewis” role. There’s a “James White, Danny Woodhead, Shane Vereen, Kevin Faulk” role. Or “BJGE, Ridley, Blount” role as big back.

Lewis was used a good amount in passing game:

2015: 7 games, 36 catches. That’s a lot

2016: 7 games, 17 catches. 2-3 per game

2017: 16 games, 32 catches. 2 per game (15% of his overall touches were receptions.

To say the the role Lewis had and the role Sony has had so far in 2018 are one in the same is literally 100% incorrect. The only similarity they have is leading the team in carries (once for Lewis in 2017 with 180 carries) and being a running back.

It is not just stats but a vibe you get watching the game. When Michel gets the ball would be a time when Lewis would have gotten the ball. That’s what I was trying to say by Michel filling the Lewis role. Wow I guess this really hits a nerve with you? 

38 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

It is not just stats but a vibe you get watching the game. When Michel gets the ball would be a time when Lewis would have gotten the ball. That’s what I was trying to say by Michel filling the Lewis role. Wow I guess this really hits a nerve with you? 

This doesn’t make sense but if it makes you feel smart, yes you are right. Hahaha. Typically when James White didn’t get the ball, Lewis would. Now with Lewis gone, when James White doesn’t get the ball, Sony typically does. Lol at that meaning they “have the same role” in the offense lol.

It just annoys me when so many people spit out incorrect information that doesn’t make sense and they try to pass it along as fact.

15 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

This doesn’t make sense but if it makes you feel smart, yes you are right. Hahaha. Typically when James White didn’t get the ball, Lewis would. Now with Lewis gone, when James White doesn’t get the ball, Sony typically does. Lol at that meaning they “have the same role” in the offense lol.

It just annoys me when so many people spit out incorrect information that doesn’t make sense and they try to pass it along as fact.

If spending time on forums forums annoy you, maybe you should spend less time on them? haha.

I was not trying to pass on anything as fact. I should have said it’s my opinion that he’s filling the Lewis role.  Anyway again I hope I’m wrong and that he was injured all year. That would make sense as the reason why he didn’t look like a first round pick. 

Edited by Wild Thing

On 1/15/2019 at 10:52 AM, Wild Thing said:

I say this as a Pats fan. He is now overrated. Michel is and will always be TD dependent. He is not involved - and will not be involved - in the passing game as long as white is there. And this is the Pats so you never know when Burkhead or Devlin or Patterson or the backup punter is going to vulture a TD just because BB wants us all to know how smart he is. Also he’s never had a full workload even in college. His ceiling is that of an RB2 for fantasy purposes. If you can get RB1 value I would sell.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:43 PM, Wild Thing said:

The last decade of watching the Pats told me. They aren’t changing their system. Bill is a terrible drafter, with the exception of Brady. 

17 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

All of these statements are you trying to wrongfully pass along as fact. But, at least you’re now hopefully recognizing they aren’t even close to being fact. They are nothing more than a baseless opinion.

Next year will be very telling on the direction of Sony’s career. Personally, I think he gets relied on more and more. Pending good health of course.

29 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

All of these statements are you trying to wrongfully pass along as fact. But, at least you’re now hopefully recognizing they aren’t even close to being fact. They are nothing more than a baseless opinion.

Next year will be very telling on the direction of Sony’s career. Personally, I think he gets relied on more and more. Pending good health of course.

I disagree completely. They are my opinions -  And that was how I meant it. Don’t tell me I trying to do something I wasn’t. Can we get back to whether Michel is good or not please??? The other part of our conversation is not productive and probably annoying everyone else.

• Like 1

Sony is a flex at best. He is touchdown dependent, but if Brady does retire, who is to say they don't ride the horse either and establish a dominant run game. It is early on Sony, but I would take a gamble in the 3rd round on him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Sony is a flex at best. He is touchdown dependent, but if Brady does retire, who is to say they don't ride the horse either and establish a dominant run game. It is early on Sony, but I would take a gamble in the 3rd round on him. 

Agree to agree. Things could change once Brady retires. I’m willing to put Michel in the give another chance category but I’m not optimistic about his part in the offense changing much. White and Burkhead are solid and BB likes to rotate backs - mainly to keep them alive I think. I don’t see that changing until Brady retires.

1 hour ago, Wild Thing said:

I disagree completely. They are my opinions -  And that was how I meant it. Don’t tell me I trying to do something I wasn’t. Can we get back to whether Michel is good or not please??? The other part of our conversation is not productive and probably annoying everyone else.

Please don’t Kill yet another Thread, ThreadKiller? Can we just be happy with one dead thread and call it a day?

• Like 2

I had it wrong. Michel isn’t filling the Lewis role. He’s filling the Blount role. 

James White having a game too!

Go Pats!

Edited by Wild Thing

Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was Michel hurt during the game? Burkhead sure got a lot of carries with the game on the line. Oh wait, that’s right it’s the Patriots...

Edited by Wild Thing
  • Like 1

I did have to laugh when, either for the OT TD or the first Burkhead TD, they literally had an all white offense in for the play (outside of the linemen).  Hogan, Develin, Edelman, Burkhead, Gronk, Brady.     

As for Burkhead's usage- I think it was just that they ran so many plays.   Michel had 29 carries- had to be a season high.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was Michel hurt during the game? Burkhead sure got a lot of carries with the game on the line. Oh wait, that’s right it’s the Patriots...

Sony had nearly 30 carries in the game...

I'm trying to talk myself into him being my keeper for next year.

But he just looks so average when he's running the ball.   If there's a big hole, he gets through it.   But he doesn't seem to be able to make something out of nothing.

And there were a couple of times where it looked like he should have had more yards at the end of the run but was knocked down or caught.     And he is far from a sure thing when they just need a yard.  

I'm still holding out some hope that he's not 100% and just needs a full offseason to get his knee right.   And that they'll start to feature him in the passing game.

20 minutes ago, K197040 said:

I'm trying to talk myself into him being my keeper for next year.

But he just looks so average when he's running the ball.   If there's a big hole, he gets through it.   But he doesn't seem to be able to make something out of nothing.

And there were a couple of times where it looked like he should have had more yards at the end of the run but was knocked down or caught.     And he is far from a sure thing when they just need a yard.  

I'm still holding out some hope that he's not 100% and just needs a full offseason to get his knee right.   And that they'll start to feature him in the passing game.

The biggest thing is volume and I would say almost 60 touches and 5 tds in 2 games is more than enough to suffice that part, but for me to keep him I wish I could see him in the passing game. For that reason im leading to taking him in the 1st round of our keeper league and keeping Nuk and Thomas. I do have Mahomes as an option as well. If your keeper league is a 3 person or 4, then I would keep him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

The biggest thing is volume and I would say almost 60 touches and 5 tds in 2 games is more than enough to suffice that part, but for me to keep him I wish I could see him in the passing game. For that reason im leading to taking him in the 1st round of our keeper league and keeping Nuk and Thomas. I do have Mahomes as an option as well. If your keeper league is a 3 person or 4, then I would keep him.

Nuk and Thomas and Mahomes.  Jeez.   That's a heck of a start.

We can't keep players drafted in the 1st three rounds so I'm looking at Aaron Jones (lose my 11th round pick) or Michel (lose my 7th round).   Jones is obviously a better value but I just want to keep the player that's going to have the better year.    And I'm in PPR.

I was hoping that Sony would start to be used more in the passing game and maybe provide some direction as to  next season will look like.  

1 hour ago, K197040 said:

Nuk and Thomas and Mahomes.  Jeez.   That's a heck of a start.

We can't keep players drafted in the 1st three rounds so I'm looking at Aaron Jones (lose my 11th round pick) or Michel (lose my 7th round).   Jones is obviously a better value but I just want to keep the player that's going to have the better year.    And I'm in PPR.

I was hoping that Sony would start to be used more in the passing game and maybe provide some direction as to  next season will look like.  

I took Nuk and Thomas at 10th and 11th overall and then actually took Sony at 90 and mahomes at 91. Aaron Jones can't pass block, so that might be a concern going forward with LaFleur. Could be Jones as Derrick Henry and the packers select a rb like Justice Hill for passing, but they also have Williams who can catch. I would lose a 7th for Sony.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Sony had nearly 30 carries in the game...

I think the best players should be on the field in the last 5 minutes and OT of the AFC championship. That is just my opinion though.

16 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

I think the best players should be on the field in the last 5 minutes and OT of the AFC championship. That is just my opinion though.

I agree 100% and tbh I was complaining about it during the game. But honestly my guess is maybe Rex was more fresh? Has to be since Sony is obviously better. But I assume they didn't want him to have 40 carries, etc.