oban14

Sony Michel 2019 Outlook

If you have future interest in Michel - RELAX. He is officially in the circle of trust - and that means something in terms of NE backfield.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

If you have future interest in Michel - RELAX. He is officially in the circle of trust - and that means something in terms of NE backfield.

See and I sorta think the opposite. In the biggest game of the year during crunch time at the end, Michel was not on the field. Why? Risk of fumbling? Whatever the reason BB chose Burkhead over him. Concerning I think that he didn’t trust Michel to have him out there. 

Edited by Wild Thing

35 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

See and I sorta think the opposite. In the biggest game of the year during crunch time at the end, Michel was not on the field. Why? Risk of fumbling? Whatever the reason BB chose Burkhead over him. Concerning I think that he didn’t trust Michel to have him out there. 

Until BB retires this is the way it is and has been for quite some time.

Corey Dillon however is the example Michel reminds me of. When the game's at stake Michel - as did Dillon - gets the ball. 

All the other stuff is what he Pats have done since BB was there - RBBC, tinkering.

Michel is the closest thing to a full-time back since Dillon imo.

11 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

Sony has yet to be integrated much into the passing game, so when he has been out there, it's likely run. When White is out there, typically pass. So Rex could have been out there bc of fresh legs (Sony had nearly 30 carries) and unpredictability.

11 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

Could be the fact he had over 30 touches and Burky was more fresh. BB isnt giving someone 30 touches if he doesnt trust them.

6 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Could be the fact he had over 30 touches and Burky was more fresh. BB isnt giving someone 30 touches if he doesnt trust them.

Exactly. Trust has literally nothing to do with it.

The narrative towards Michel being a 4th quarter close it out back is a natural one, but BB has tried to establish the run early, more often than not.   Here are Sony's quarterly splits.   

Split Value Att Yds Y/A TD 1D Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Ctch% Y/Tgt
Quarter 1st Qtr 75 337 4.5 5 21 6 4 28 7.0 0 1   4.7
  2nd Qtr 69 300 4.3 2 21 2 2 16 8.0 0 1   8.0
  3rd Qtr 65 308 4.7 0 15 3 1 8 8.0 0 1   2.7
  4th Qtr 53 228 4.3 4 15 1 1 7 7.0 0 0   7.0
  1st Half 144 637 4.4 7 42 8 6 44 7.3 0 2   5.5
  2nd Half 118 536 4.5 4 30 4 2 15 7.5 0 1   3.8
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BrianM said:

The narrative towards Michel being a 4th quarter close it out back is a natural one, but BB has tried to establish the run early, more often than not.   Here are Sony's quarterly splits.   

There have been a lot of 4th quarters where they had to pass. Another were Sony left the game early. What were the times of possessions per quarter? How often did they need to run? How many of the attempts early in game are skewed due to numerous in a row 1st and goal situations? I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove without having all of the context surrounding it?

Who was saying Sony is a "close it out back"?

11 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Exactly. Trust has literally nothing to do with it.

And you know this, how?

11 hours ago, BrianM said:

Great info, where'd you find those split stats?

11 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Great info, where'd you find those split stats?

Pro Football Reference, under Splits.    There's a f-ton of good splits there.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

Pro Football Reference, under Splits.    There's a f-ton of good splits there.  

Yep. Pro-Football Reference and Baseball Reference are my two favorite sites to go to for stats. I think they also split a player's production based on his which hairstyle he uses and on whether he's called his momma that day or not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

And you know this, how?

Because being a Patriots fan, I've come to realize that players don't see the field as often as Sony has if they aren't trusted. It's that simple.

2 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Because being a Patriots fan, I've come to realize that players don't see the field as often as Sony has if they aren't trusted. It's that simple.

I think they used burkhead to disguise the run in that situation. But regardless, he had like 30 carries.

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

I think they used burkhead to disguise the run in that situation. But regardless, he had like 30 carries.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I agree with that.

I think Rex was out there for unpredictability/fresh legs. For the sake of the offense, I think Sony becomes more of a 3 down thread next year. Not saying White won't still get his, but I do think Sony gets used in the passing game next year. The offense will be much better off if it goes that way because it will less predictable when he is in the game.

19 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I agree with that.

I think Rex was out there for unpredictability/fresh legs. For the sake of the offense, I think Sony becomes more of a 3 down thread next year. Not saying White won't still get his, but I do think Sony gets used in the passing game next year. The offense will be much better off if it goes that way because it will less predictable when he is in the game.

I agree that he'll probably be used in the passing game more.   Especially on 1st and some 2nd.  But I'm not sure that he's going to get a lot of the 2nd/3rd and long work.  As much as I'd like him to be, he's not close to the receiver that White is.   He just doesn't look as quick as White and even though defenses knew what was coming, they still couldn't cover White, Edleman, and whoever.    Unless Michel really takes a step up, I just can't seem him being an every down back.   Or at least enough of one to take away from White.   Now maybe (and hopefully) Michele was never 100% this season and his early injury kept him from properly being integrated in the full game plans.    But just from the film from this year, he doesn't look very explosive and not someone who can get open, catch a pass, and be a threat for a big gain.

Edited by K197040

On 1/13/2019 at 3:16 PM, psygolf said:

Top 3 pick...behind Williams and CJA

RB's are so interchangeable I can't even remember who Williams is here.

22 minutes ago, diverz4 said:

RB's are so interchangeable I can't even remember who Williams is here.

DAmien from KC probably. But that comment was likely sarcasm

A little surprising that NE used a 3rd rd pick on Damien Harris.  Do they rotate 4 guys in 2019 or is Rex gone? Can’t like this pick if you’re a Michel dynasty owner.

3 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

A little surprising that NE used a 3rd rd pick on Damien Harris.  Do they rotate 4 guys in 2019 or is Rex gone? Can’t like this pick if you’re a Michel dynasty owner.

Guessing Rex is out, can never stay healthy. Harris is a fantastic player to spell Michel - can handle a big workload and gets downhill hard. 

Not great for Michel but he's still the guy and will be fine. Should soak up tons of touchdowns. 

9 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

I love the pick in real life. But I'll be out on the NE backfield on draft day. 

• Like 2

For the umpteenth time: NE RBs are tires on an Indy car. Nothing more. Evil Bill doesn't want to pay them and god has the strategy worked.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:54 PM, Flyman75 said:

Yep. Pro-Football Reference and Baseball Reference are my two favorite sites to go to for stats. I think they also split a player's production based on his which hairstyle he uses and on whether he's called his momma that day or not. 

(very late reaction) I remember some old MAD cartoon ages ago (90s, I am that old) with stupid sports predictions, and one of them was that sports stats would at some point show the batting average in jockeys vs boxer shorts. I wasn't much into American sports back then, but now I know it was pretty accurate ;)

9 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

(very late reaction) I remember some old MAD cartoon ages ago (90s, I am that old) with stupid sports predictions, and one of them was that sports stats would at some point show the batting average in jockeys vs boxer shorts. I wasn't much into American sports back then, but now I know it was pretty accurate ;)

You sure it wasn't on the Simpsons? They predict everything

So Michel has been missing OTAs and apparently, nobody knows why. 

I'm currently trying to compare Michel to the Bears rookie David Montgomery. I have both just outside my top 20.