oban14

Sony Michel 2019 Outlook

The patriots won all important games via the I-Formation with an FB blocking for Michel. (Edit: last year I mean)

Them trying to figure out who to use as said FB sounds to me more like they want to bring back that run style with Sony Michel.

Edit²: there is this documentation "Do your job 3" where this is shown pretty well (I guess it was that one) Link

Edited by thebadferret
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

The patriots won all important games via the I-Formation with an FB blocking for Michel. (Edit: last year I mean)

Them trying to figure out who to use as said FB sounds to me more like they want to bring back that run style with Sony Michel.

Edit²: there is this documentation "Do your job 3" where this is shown pretty well (I guess it was that one) Link

agreed. they're tweaking the run game to adjust for loss of develin and poor ytd overall run blocking from o-line. hopeful that the hoody can work his magic. 

again, all this gives me a rosier outlook on sony ros.

2 hours ago, cerdo said:

not sure why you think it sounds concerning. i think having a potential lead blocker will do sony wonders. watch how many times he gained posi yardage following develin in his rookie highlight clip. he could really use someone to plow the road for him, so to speak:

I miss that RB from the video. We could all use him coming back!

Anybody see what kind of injury he suffered? The site I was on just said "S. Michel, injured on the play"

1 minute ago, Thrill22 said:

Anybody see what kind of injury he suffered? The site I was on just said "S. Michel, injured on the play"

He was sitting on his a** on the field. I think it was his knee. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

He was sitting on his a** on the field. I think it was his knee. 

Great can't even deal him now, huh

He is straight-up garbage, but he got the touchdowns, which is more than I can say for every player I started this week.

3 minutes ago, Bastardo! said:

He is straight-up garbage, but he got the touchdowns, which is more than I can say for every player I started this week.

Yep, just got to hope he keeps his role and once the colder weather hits, he becomes more effective (though he is thoroughly blah talent wise) while Brady becomes less effective in the cold once the arthritis kicks in. And also hope they use him as the gl back like this game, instead of using Brady as the gl back like last week. 

Keep in my mind, none of the other RB's (Bolden, White) that played before garbage time were able to get anything going on the ground, so the takeaway is that the blocking is the issue.  When you are getting hit hard deep in the backfield (like on the play he got hurt and left the game), you can't get anything going.  It reminds of watching David Johnson last year.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rocket said:

Keep in my mind, none of the other RB's (Bolden, White) that played before garbage time were able to get anything going on the ground, so the takeaway is that the blocking is the issue.  When you are getting hit hard deep in the backfield (like on the play he got hurt and left the game), you can't get anything going.  It reminds of watching David Johnson last year.

Plus they almost never let him run outside the tackles...90% straight up the gut into 15 large men.

Nonetheless - Sony showed why we put up with his nonsense tonight.  I wonder how different the narrative would be here if he didn't get vultured thrice last week and had 6TDs in the last 2 games?  

He is painful to watch though!

1 hour ago, Al.Davis said:

Plus they almost never let him run outside the tackles...90% straight up the gut into 15 large men.

Nonetheless - Sony showed why we put up with his nonsense tonight.  I wonder how different the narrative would be here if he didn't get vultured thrice last week and had 6TDs in the last 2 games?  

He is painful to watch though!

He also dropped a screen pass that he probably would have scored on late in the first:

(3:58) T.Brady pass incomplete short left to S.Michel.

• Thanks 1

This is it folks. The time to trade him is NOW. Hopefully u have people in your league who don’t watch every game (especially patriots blowouts) and only see how many fantasy points a player puts up. On paper Sony appears to be doing okay, however we all know that is not the case. I was just able to ship this guy for Keenan Allen and joe mixon. 

If Sony was my RB2, I'd be worried. Luckily I swung a deal for Derrick Henry so now Sony is my flex. I actually think he's a decent flex play because of the situation he's in. This Patriots D is scary good. The Pats are never going to get blown out and so Sony should never be scripted out of a game. I think the previous game w/Brady's 2 vultures obviously was not the norm.

Yes, Sony looks awful running the ball for minimal gains up the middle. They don't run him on the outside because it looks like he's running in quick sand. But he's still the Pats best running back and he will get the goal line touches which seem like they will be coming in waves with the way this team is built.

I don't think I'll trade him because I just don't feel like I could feel like I could get enough value in return. Although Keenan and Mixon was a good trade especially if you're hurting in WR.

They gave him 3 straight carries from the 1 yard line.  Maybe this production is sustainable.  He’s gotta be at the top of the league in goaline carries.  They’re feeding him like a horse 

9 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

If Sony was my RB2, I'd be worried. Luckily I swung a deal for Derrick Henry so now Sony is my flex. I actually think he's a decent flex play because of the situation he's in. This Patriots D is scary good. The Pats are never going to get blown out and so Sony should never be scripted out of a game. I think the previous game w/Brady's 2 vultures obviously was not the norm.

Yes, Sony looks awful running the ball for minimal gains up the middle. They don't run him on the outside because it looks like he's running in quick sand. But he's still the Pats best running back and he will get the goal line touches which seem like they will be coming in waves with the way this team is built.

I don't think I'll trade him because I just don't feel like I could feel like I could get enough value in return. Although Keenan and Mixon was a good trade especially if you're hurting in WR.

The frustrating thing was watching him get an 11 yard run followed by getting hit immediately upon getting the ball in the backfield on the next carry. 

Patriots offensive line is easily a bottom 5 unit. 

• Like 1

Yeah as a real life RB he's horrible. But as a fantasy football RB2 or flex 19, 12, 22 points the last 3 weeks is pretty damn good. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rickydragon said:

They gave him 3 straight carries from the 1 yard line.  Maybe this production is sustainable.  He’s gotta be at the top of the league in goaline carries.  They’re feeding him like a horse 

Exactly, I don't know what there's not to like here for someone in your flex. Looking at my league flex starters, mostly everyone is somewhat "touchdown dependent." I mean, very few players in the entire league can produce weekly without touchdowns. But you're talking about extremely high volume players, those who literally never see the sideline (CMC, Zeke, Barkley, etc). I think owning Sony who is arguably on one of the most high scoring teams in the league is a nice play who, if gets lucky with multiple red zone looks, can win you matchups. It's not like we're talking about Sony on say the Redskins or Dolphins. If that was the case, the dude wouldn't even be rosterable, let alone startable.

Only thing saving Sony is he's the starting running back/goal line back on one of the best teams in the league. That alone gives him starting value.

40 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

Exactly, I don't know what there's not to like here for someone in your flex. Looking at my league flex starters, mostly everyone is somewhat "touchdown dependent." I mean, very few players in the entire league can produce weekly without touchdowns. But you're talking about extremely high volume players, those who literally never see the sideline (CMC, Zeke, Barkley, etc). I think owning Sony who is arguably on one of the most high scoring teams in the league is a nice play who, if gets lucky with multiple red zone looks, can win you matchups. It's not like we're talking about Sony on say the Redskins or Dolphins. If that was the case, the dude wouldn't even be rosterable, let alone startable.

Only thing saving Sony is he's the starting running back/goal line back on one of the best teams in the league. That alone gives him starting value.

Absolutely- lots of negativity about his lack of efficiency, but points are points. Was a great sign seeing them feed him multiple times inside the 5. Perfectly fine especially in Standard, he is the RB19, averaging 10.9PPG. That's a pretty darn solid Flex and even low-end RB2. He's only had one complete stinker and that was Week 1.

16 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

This guy is starting to remind me of  Laurence “Bologna” Maroney.

That guy won a lot of championships for people their undefeated season.

Still don't feel good about putting him in my lineup but I might have to this week.