oban14

Sony Michel 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, Vegemite2 said:

Absolutely agree, I do not understand why the Pats went away from him last night. As a Patriots fan, it’s the best I’ve seen him run this year to start a game and it is frustrating the way they use him. Just feels pointless spending a first rounder on a back when you are going to use him the way they are. Could get the same production out of a 5th rounder with this usage.

I also agree, I even made a comment in about him in the game thread about him looking quicker than I’ve seen him all season. Obviously the game script was not in his favor and that route issue he had with Brady definitely seemed to put him in the dog house the rest of the game. Was alarming to see him on special teams later on. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NinerLifer said:

I also agree, I even made a comment in about him in the game thread about him looking quicker than I’ve seen him all season. Obviously the game script was not in his favor and that route issue he had with Brady definitely seemed to put him in the dog house the rest of the game. Was alarming to see him on special teams later on. 

I didn’t watch the game. He was on special teams? Yikes.

1 hour ago, Jrt80 said:

I didn’t watch the game. He was on special teams? Yikes.

Yeah he was, only reason I noticed is because it looked like the Pats fumbled on a kick return and he dove in to help recover it (I believe it was determined not to be a fumble). Even the announcers made mention of him being on ST and I was thinking ohhh boy. 

Edited by NinerLifer

16 hours ago, Vegemite2 said:

Absolutely agree, I do not understand why the Pats went away from him last night. As a Patriots fan, it’s the best I’ve seen him run this year to start a game and it is frustrating the way they use him. Just feels pointless spending a first rounder on a back when you are going to use him the way they are. Could get the same production out of a 5th rounder with this usage.

It's because they can't run the ball. They played 3 WR 1 TE 1 RB on every offensive snap with a ton of hurry-up. Last year they had Allen, Gronk, Andrews and Brown. The OL lost those two guys and also Wynn; Scarnecchia can make up for that somewhat but the biggest hole is at TE. Watson is the oldest non QB/P/K in the whole league, played every snap  and was the only TE to see the field, and is more of a route running TE than a pure blocker (even though he stayed in to block a lot Sunday). They decided their best chance to win was to put the game in Brady's hands, let him make pre-snap reads and not let the Ravens substitute which meant RBS were getting drives rather than play by play scenarios. It worked pretty well until Edelman fumbled, although I still don't think they would have won the game. Momentum aside, Baltimore just owned their linebackers all night.

I think the way they played in the playoffs last year is what they envisioned with Michel, and certainly Isaiah Wynn was a big part of that vision but he's been pretty much absent the whole year and a half. They had a million tight ends in and out in August and none of them have made the leap. The cold weather is coming, but they're a complete transformed team. I'm dubious they will be able to get back to peak 2018 running this season, and will be looking closely at how they build their team next year to decide what to do with Michel. They probably expected better pass catching form him based on his college performance, but I don't think they are down on him. .    

Anybody else feel like coming out of the bye we will suddenly see Sony inactive, and Harris will get 25 carries? its reminiscent of last year, although I think Sony was injured but then suddenly was taking on the bulk of the work.  I wouldn't put it past BB to announce Sony a healthy scratch coming out of the bye.

Anybody know if Harris is a good pass catcher and good in pass protection? if so, Id be nervous trotting out Sony.

Edited by Thrill22

2 minutes ago, Thrill22 said:

Anybody else feel like coming out of the bye we will suddenly see Sony inactive, and Harris will get 25 carries? its reminiscent of last year, although I think Sony was injured but then suddenly was taking on the bulk of the work.  I wouldn't put it past BB to announce Sony a healthy scratch coming out of the bye.

Yeah, no.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Yeah, no.

you may be correct.  But with the additions of Harry coming back and Sanu acquisition.  Sony's TD upside took a hit.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:23 PM, Thrill22 said:

you may be correct.  But with the additions of Harry coming back and Sanu acquisition.  Sony's TD upside took a hit.

Sony's biggest issue for playing time is the re-emergence of Burkhead.  

I think as the weather gets colder and Wynn returns that Michel may have a chance to turn his season around down the stretch.

3 minutes ago, whitekenyan24 said:

I think as the weather gets colder and Wynn returns that Michel may have a chance to turn his season around down the stretch.

This, with Brady wearing down over the course of the season and the winter coming. I can PAT turn to Michel more but, I am not holding my breath. 

Definitely not playing him vs the Eagles

With byes, I'm going to have to start this cat against Philly's tough run defense unless I can snag Brian Hill or Breida (if he's healthy) off waivers. Anyone else forced to start Sony this week? What can we expect from Sony coming out of their bye and the previous weeks dud? I'm hoping he at least gets back to his double digit carries and pray to the lord he reaches the endzone.

Just a bye week filler for me as well.

My expectations are low, so I sadly won't be disappointed with his typical 30-50 yds.

39 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

With byes, I'm going to have to start this cat against Philly's tough run defense unless I can snag Brian Hill or Breida (if he's healthy) off waivers. Anyone else forced to start Sony this week? What can we expect from Sony coming out of their bye and the previous weeks dud? I'm hoping he at least gets back to his double digit carries and pray to the lord he reaches the endzone.

All we can hope is that BB worked his magic during the bye week to fix whatever blocking scheme issues were present and if Sony was dealing with some issue (fatigue or something) he's refreshed. Until then I won't feel comfortable starting him but there are worse gambles out there as well. 

41 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

I have bye week issues and I still wont start him. Hopefully can snag Hill and if not I have one other option although hes in an RBBC still seems like a better choice IMO.

Predictions on his stat line this weekend? The matchup is as bad as it gets but he could always stumble into the end zone... right?

Just trying to make myself feel better about being forced to start him this week. 

15 minutes ago, gmoneypm said:

Predictions on his stat line this weekend? The matchup is as bad as it gets but he could always stumble into the end zone... right?

Just trying to make myself feel better about being forced to start him this week. 

Hoping for a David Montgomery type of line against the Eagles from a couple weeks ago.

where do you guys rank this dude for the week? top 10? top 20?

I know this is generally a bad matchup for him, but I would expect positive game script.  Pats defense should have a fairly easy time with the injuries to Philly's offense.

Using him but not feeling great about it though.  Obviously depends on how desperate you are with byes.

1 hour ago, kdpat15 said:

where do you guys rank this dude for the week? top 10? top 20?

Try again.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

I know this is generally a bad matchup for him, but I would expect positive game script.  Pats defense should have a fairly easy time with the injuries to Philly's offense.

Using him but not feeling great about it though.  Obviously depends on how desperate you are with byes.

This. Only thing Sony owners can hope for is the Pats take control early and go up big, using Sony more on the ground. Looks like Philly will be without Howard and Jeffery.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RoseLin23 said:

Try again.

lol yea I have him outside the top 25...wanted to get a boost of confidence from someone in this thread but likely not happening lol

I have him and I am not starting. He will definitely finish outside the 25 

Hopefully Wynn being activated off IR helps Michel out. If it doesn't, I don't what will but the Pats do need to establish a running game.

One would have to think after the last couple weeks that establishing a run game of some sort has to be a priority, no? Can’t just keep abandoning it immediately. Not saying Michel would necessarily be the recipient of said focus with Burkhead there, but I have to think the last two games are about as bad as it gets.

• Like 1