oban14

Sony Michel 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, gufomel said:

Are you all rolling out Michel week 1 as an RB2 with confidence? He was pretty much peppered with touches last year when healthy. Do we expect that to be scaled back?

I don’t do anything with confidence, but he’ll be in my rb2 slot in at least one league. 

On 8/30/2019 at 7:40 AM, daethfromabove1979 said:

Sony looked awful as a receiver last year so they just stopped throwing him the ball. I think he is only going to get handoffs and a few checkdowns.

Again, he was a rookie who missed TC last season.  If he looked awful it was due to inexperience and lack of practice reps, not lack of  innate receiving ability.  They had White so they simplified the playbook for him and didn't need to give him a role in the passing game.

I'm liking Sony to finish in the top 5 for FF RB's (standard scoring)

1 minute ago, Pooskay said:

I'm liking Sony to finish in the top 5 for FF RB's (standard scoring)

He will... if he can stay healthy.

Kerryon and Michel are my two biggest breakout RB's this year. I think they have ELITE talent.

2 hours ago, ponza88 said:

He will... if he can stay healthy.

Kerryon and Michel are my two biggest breakout RB's this year. I think they have ELITE talent.

I wouldn't consider Michel an elite talent , but KJ there I agree with you. Their situations are just vastly different , with Sony on a great team & Kerryon well he plays for the Lions. 

What do you guys think about Michel week 1 vs. PIT? Both number of touches and production. He’s the clear lead back right? Or is hoodie going to throw a wrench in it from the start?

5 minutes ago, gufomel said:

What do you guys think about Michel week 1 vs. PIT? Both number of touches and production. He’s the clear lead back right? Or is hoodie going to throw a wrench in it from the start?

I chuckle when I see people questioning whether or not Sony will be the clear/workhorse back. Did nobody watch the playoffs last year? As long as this guy stays healthy, he’ll be a lock to finish RB1. 

He was pretty pedestrian vs. the Steelers last year, but I think he'll have a solid game Sunday. I think the Pats are going to run the ball a ton this season. 18-22 carries for 90-100 yards and a good shot at a TD.

Everyone is saying NE is expected to run the ball a lot this year, but Belichick is known for doing the opposite of what is expected. He might just make Brady's arm fall off this year.

6 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Everyone is saying NE is expected to run the ball a lot this year, but Belichick is known for doing the opposite of what is expected. He might just make Brady's arm fall off this year.

The best thing NE does is game plan and adapt to their opponent.. That means running the ball heavy one week if they decide the run D can be exploited, and going pass heavy the next if they think the secondary can be exploited. We can do our best to guess which we think will occur based on our own evaluations of opponent, but ultimately that is what is maddening about owning Pats players; they are game plan dependent, and said game planners in the best in the business. 

2 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

The best thing NE does is game plan and adapt to their opponent.. That means running the ball heavy one week if they decide the run D can be exploited, and going pass heavy the next if they think the secondary can be exploited. We can do our best to guess which we think will occur based on our own evaluations of opponent, but ultimately that is what is maddening about owning Pats players; they are game plan dependent, and said game planners in the best in the business. 

This is why it feels good to have Brady and Michel on the same squad 🙌

didn't watch much of the pre-season, i own Michel and White in one league, but some reports were saying Michel was actually running routes during pre-season games? i really hope he gets some passing work...obviously White limits his ceiling though. I think Michel will have a big year on the ground. NE is consistently in the top 5 each year of most team rushing TDs. I d think the primary rusher has a good shot of 50%+ of them 😁

Edited by rahuLL

It was surprising that Michel didn’t get much action in the pass game last year as he showed in college he’s plenty capable. Word was the Pats and Brady weren’t “comfortable”. Reports out of camp say he’s looked great catching the ball and the team expects him to be much more involved. Personally, I love the whole “Pats RB narrative” and the drafting of Harris. Helped suppress his value. 

He’s got high end RB1 production written all over him. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 1

Do you guys think he’s an injury risk? Should I prioritize handcuffing him with Damien harris?

37 minutes ago, spencerf13 said:

Do you guys think he’s an injury risk? Should I prioritize handcuffing him with Damien harris?

I did this, but I’m lucky to have Michel in a deep bench league. His knee is a concern, that’s something we have to accept. But as long as he’s healthy (and he sure looked it in the playoffs and preseason) I’m not too worried. 

43 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

It was surprising that Michel didn’t get much action in the pass game last year as he showed in college he’s plenty capable. Word was the Pats and Brady weren’t “comfortable”. Reports out of camp say he’s looked great catching the ball and the team expects him to be much more involved. Personally, I love the whole “Pats RB narrative” and the drafting of Harris. Helped suppress his value. 

He’s got high end RB1 production written all over him. 

I think the main reason they haven’t forced the issue with Michel in the passing game is that they have one of the best in the business in White. Having White there definitely puts a cap on what we can realistically expect as far as receptions go. If White were to miss time, Michel would have top 5 PPR upside in my opinion. 

Ended up with him as my RB3 / Flex, but a little worried... dude is talented but having a Belichick RB is maddening.

Here's to Sony having a big, healthy year as the lead back all season 🤞

• Like 1

I'm a little unsure how his usage will look this week.  I think he has big upside, but James White can/will steal touches.  Not sure he's reached bellcow status yet.  I like the o/u on this game, but Steelers D could be tough.

3 hours ago, stelly said:

I'm a little unsure how his usage will look this week.  I think he has big upside, but James White can/will steal touches.  Not sure he's reached bellcow status yet.  I like the o/u on this game, but Steelers D could be tough.

I think Michel will be a good start. I have James White and he has never done well against the Steelers 

3 hours ago, stelly said:

Yeah not a fan of the White situation either but have Sony locked in my FLEX spot and am hoping for a solid week. Don't think he'll blow it out of the water, but a 10-12pt week in the Flex would be respectable. Get it Michel!

17 minutes ago, Baldy8 said:

I think Michel will be a good start. I have James White and he has never done well against the Steelers 

This is a good and accurate point. White has never been much of a factor in previous matchups with the Steelers. Not a huge sample size and obviously both teams are different this season, but I love Michel in this matchup.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 8:19 AM, Pooskay said:

They pivot on an in-game basis....