Sign in to follow this  
machine3

C.J. Anderson 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I don't think CJA is a contingency plan.  He is a main cog of the plan.  This offense is not being designed around KJ.  It just isn't.

Are you implying that this offense is being designed around CJ? 

Let's just talk about CJA for a second.  This guy is turning out to be somewhat of a timeless running back.  He really hasn't been in the league that long- six years.  He has always been somewhat of an under the radar fantasy stud.  Last year was a fantastic breakout - not expecting that again.  Let's look at this guy's body too....5'8 (shorter than Darwin Thompson) yet 224lbs..  This dude is a cannonball with a low center of gravity.  Have you every greased a pig and tried to tackle it?  I never have either but I can tell you from my hockey playing days that quick guys that are short and stocky are freaking beast to deal with when they catch steam or you grind in the corners.  I imagine the same in football. 

Is "timeless," a nice way to say "journeyman"? He's on his 4th team and has averaged 126 carries in 6 years. In his entire career the only RB that he's beaten out to earn a lead back role is Devontae Booker. At best I see his role reflecting similarly to how it shook out between him and Ronnie Hillman in 2015 except Kerryon is a lot better than Hillman.

The Lions offense is not good enough to make any warm body a viable RB. Kerryon has talent, that's why he succeeded last year when given the opportunity and his health permitted it. CJA doesn't have his abilities. 

Edited by P@ckersFan

1 minute ago, P@ckersFan said:

Are you implying that this offense is being designed around CJ? 

Is "timeless," a nice way to say "journeyman"? He's on his 4th team and has averaged 126 carries in 6 years. In his entire career the only RB that he's beaten out to earn a lead back role is Devontae Booker. At best I see his role reflecting similarly to how it shook out between him and Ronnie Hillman in 2015 except Kerryon is a lot better than Hillman.

No, I am saying that CJ fits the Lions' scheme and what they want to do.  Not that KJ doesn't fit some of what they want to do but there are aspects that KJ is not fulfilling which CJ does. 

Journeyman is a fair way to put it.  Guy has only averaged over 4.0ypc every year of his career.  Had a 1000 yard season in 2017.  Maybe he has a problem eating twinkies or something.  Whatever.  He is the lead back in this offense. 

• Haha 1

I don’t foresee a workhorse role coming for Kerryon Johnson. CJ Anderson could be a bit of a TD vulture and could possibly steal third down work as a pass blocker. Closer to a 60/40 split than any Kerryon truther wanting to believe. 

You would think the Lions would get lucky with one of their rbs from recent past. Best, Lashoure, Abdullah, now Johnson. Lashoure was the only bigger back they drafted, none have been able to stay healthy.

7 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Not that KJ doesn't fit some of what they want to do but there are aspects that KJ is not fulfilling which CJ does.....He is the lead back in this offense. 

There's no real evidence of this. KJ got the whole first drive including 3rd down in their 3rd preseason game. It's understandable that CJ is the guy who needed the reps since he's new to the team. There was no reason for KJ to stay in that game. 

I think Kerryon's usage last year was more reflective of Blount being completely cooked. CJA still has something in the tank, and much less tread on his tires than, say, Blount -- CJA is four years younger and has half as many NFL carries (760 vs. 1495 for Blount). Nothing about last season suggested that the Lions staff really wanted to feed KJ 20 times per game.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

I think Kerryon's usage last year was more reflective of Blount being completely cooked. CJA still has something in the tank, and much less tread on his tires than, say, Blount -- CJA is four years younger and has half as many NFL carries (760 vs. 1495 for Blount). Nothing about last season suggested that the Lions staff really wanted to feed KJ 20 times per game.

But they traded up to draft him in the first half of the 2nd round. It is not uncommon for a rookie RB to concede work to a veteran running back. It is rare for a 2nd year 2nd round RB pick to concede work to a $1.5m free agent journeyman RB on a 1-year deal. 

I have been as skeptical as anyone over KJ's ability to stay healthy. But to think that the team is scheming around KJ in favor of a FA means that they're delusional about what they saw from CJ last year and their potential as an offense. Or they'd have to think that CJ is a closer match for Lynch which was Bevell's most successful RB. That would be equally delusional. 

It's probably crazy for me to assume that the Lions and Matt Patricia would take a rational approach to anything, though.

Edited by P@ckersFan

8 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

But they traded up to draft him in the first half of the 2nd round. It is not uncommon for a rookie RB to concede work to a veteran running back. It is rare for a 2nd year 2nd round RB pick to concede work to a $1.5m free agent journeyman RB on a 1-year deal. 

I have been as skeptical as anyone over KJ's ability to stay healthy. But to think that the team is scheming around KJ in favor of a FA means that they're delusional about what they saw from CJ last year and their potential as an offense. Or they'd have to think that CJ is a closer match for Lynch which was Bevell's most successful RB. That would be equally delusional. 

It's probably crazy for me to assume that the Lions and Matt Patricia would take a rational approach to anything, though.

I think most KJ truthers and owners are mesmerized by the talent.  There has been plenty of exceptional talent that has come and gone in the NFL.  There has been plenty of exceptional talent that has been drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds that has come and gone without making any impact whatsoever on the game.  KJ flashed at times but that all it was...flashes.  I can see the Lions attempting to build a scheme around play actions and making the offense run through Stafford.  I think that is the reality of their current situation.  CJA keeps defenses more honest, IMO.  I can already see the counterargument to this but, again, I am not necessarily looking at the talent versus the consistent execution that is required in a play action offense.  CJA just provides a better all around package at the moment.  Let's take this a bit further - Stafford was playing with like a broken back of something like that last year.  There is no way in hell I am allowing that to happen again.  Secondly, how much of that KJ volume last year was out of necessity versus wanting to feed him the ball......again...I just see CJA as a much better all around option for the Lions to be successful.  He isn't flashy but he is beautiful...in his round, stumpy, plodding way...

12 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

But to think that the team is scheming around KJ in favor of a FA means that they're delusional about what they saw from CJ last year and their potential as an offense.

Oh totally agree with you on this point.  I'm more anti-KJ than pro-CJA, in the sense that I think Kerryon is being overdrafted and this will be more of a timeshare than anyone spending a late-second / early-third round pick is going to be happy with. I just don't see KJ getting the volume or staying healthy enough to pay dividends.

At the same time, in no way do I think CJA is secretly the bellcow here -- you take away the 2018 Rams' passing game and there won't be anywhere near that much room to run. I like him as an end-of-bench pick, but after he doesn't do much in the first couple games it would be hard not to cut him. I see him being a hot waiver pickup midway through the season when Kerryon gets injured.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I honestly don't think I am being too rough.  I see CJA as the #1 RB in this backfield.  KJ is uber athletic but very injury prone.  His upright running style is a bit quirky and I just don't see the value of picking him where he is at right now.  I see the CJA pick up and the KJ usage last year as a sure sign that KJ is not necessarily trusted by this organization wholeheartedly.  Furthermore, the Ty Johnson pick up has me speculating that the Lions really don't expect KJ to make it through the year unscathed and plan on really limiting KJ's touches to ensure he stays healthy.  CJA is going to get the bulk of the carries...I would almost guarantee that.  

I hate when people say X pickup and Y player means that they don't trust the main guy. The Giants retained Paul Perkins and signed Rod Smith.. are they any threat to Saquon? Correct me if I'm wrong, but every team is carrying 3+ running backs and in many cases each one brings something unique to the table. Ty Johnson is the rookie explosive guy that they're grooming to be a gadget/3rd down threat, CJA is the vet that is strong in pass protection and short yardage situations, and Kerryon is the multi-dimensional impressive talent that excels at just about everything.

You also tout that CJ is a much better fit for the system. Why is that? I'd venture to say that Kerryon Johnson is a better RB fit in all 32 systems than CJ Anderson in 2019.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

I hate when people say X pickup and Y player means that they don't trust the main guy. The Giants retained Paul Perkins and signed Rod Smith.. are they any threat to Saquon? Correct me if I'm wrong, but every team is carrying 3+ running backs and in many cases each one brings something unique to the table. Ty Johnson is the rookie explosive guy that they're grooming to be a gadget/3rd down threat, CJA is the vet that is strong in pass protection and short yardage situations, and Kerryon is the multi-dimensional impressive talent that excels at just about everything.

You also tout that CJ is a much better fit for the system. Why is that? I'd venture to say that Kerryon Johnson is a better RB fit in all 32 systems than CJ Anderson in 2019.

Good points.  Definitely agree with the RB depth.  Lions go much deeper right now than these three.  They obviously know what they have in KJ.  I wouldn't say that KJ fits all 32 systems better than CJA nor does he excel at everything - because he doesn't - otherwise the situation would be completely different. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I think most KJ truthers and owners are mesmerized by the talent.  There has been plenty of exceptional talent that has come and gone in the NFL.  There has been plenty of exceptional talent that has been drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds that has come and gone without making any impact whatsoever on the game.  KJ flashed at times but that all it was...flashes.  I can see the Lions attempting to build a scheme around play actions and making the offense run through Stafford.  I think that is the reality of their current situation.  CJA keeps defenses more honest, IMO.  I can already see the counterargument to this but, again, I am not necessarily looking at the talent versus the consistent execution that is required in a play action offense.  CJA just provides a better all around package at the moment.  Let's take this a bit further - Stafford was playing with like a broken back of something like that last year.  There is no way in hell I am allowing that to happen again.  Secondly, how much of that KJ volume last year was out of necessity versus wanting to feed him the ball......again...I just see CJA as a much better all around option for the Lions to be successful.  He isn't flashy but he is beautiful...in his round, stumpy, plodding way...

The only thing that CJA has over KJ is a durability factor. KJ is a better runner, receiver and is also a capable blocker. Have you watched KJ's highlights from last year?

If not I suggest that you do. The guy looked terrific. 

Most of the highlights are what you'd expect from a highlight video; KJ hitting an open hole for a good gain, beating LBs to the outside or catching screens and getting good yardage. But watch the runs at 1:02 1:19, 2:44, 4:09, 4:35, 4:58, and 4:57. These are plays where the Lions are bad, but KJ is good. From less talented runners (like CJA) they are losses, stuffs, or low gainers, but KJ turns them into electrifying plays. 

The Lions don't have the personnel to turn a "beautiful plodder," into a 100 yard rusher. Only a guy like KJ can do that. Whatever offense Bevell fires up for the Lions will be better with KJ toting the rock as long as he's healthy. 

Edited by P@ckersFan

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

CJA just provides a better all around package at the moment. 

Better than Kerryon Johnson? 

The only thing I see that CJAnderson is better at is eating. He is well rested I give him that has only ran the 67 times the last two years. 

The only Lions RB to own is Kerryon 

Edited by shakestreet

6 hours ago, shakestreet said:

The only Lions RB to own is Kerryon 

let me rephrase this, "the only Lions RB to own is no Lions RB"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any Kerryon owners in here? 

I have CJA on my watch list, but I'm hoping he doesn't get (m)any touches this week.

Hoping I'll never have to pull the trigger. Currently 16% owned in my league. 

Who has him? Think he has stand alone value?

Can someone that watched the game shed some light on this RBBC? All I see is KJ got 16 carries to CJ's 11. 

I drafted him in hopes of the KJ hype going too far and CJ getting some goal line work. Does CJ have standalone value or is he just a handcuff?

5 minutes ago, Neauxls said:

Can someone that watched the game shed some light on this RBBC? All I see is KJ got 16 carries to CJ's 11. 

I drafted him in hopes of the KJ hype going too far and CJ getting some goal line work. Does CJ have standalone value or is he just a handcuff?

Really too early to tell.  No GL opportunities yesterday. He didn’t really look great, but the running game overall didn’t look great either. You could probably jump ship if there is a more attractive WW option, but a hold makes a lot of sense too.

• Like 1

Waivers process tonight, if I didn't already own CJA, I would put in a $0-1 bid, and just see where he lands.
We're talking about a guy who outproduced Todd Gurley in the same offense last year.  I understand it's trendy to write CJA off, and that he's nowhere near the talent of Gurley, but he's low key an NFL caliber starting RB in my opinion.  The Bucs are the only team that make sense at this point, but maybe the Redskins take a look, or another team that needs some depth.  KC based on the McCoy/Damien injuries.  Either way, I'm making a tiny bid, or grabbing him after waivers clear for free, and holding him for a week just to see where he ends up.

• Like 1

How they kept him over Zenner after his performance in camp, preseason, and now, is mind boggling. Not sure who is making the RB roster decisions but I was ahead of them this year on this one.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, UFGator said:

He'll definitely get picked up by some team...the question is which team???   

Probably San Francisco, because they love absurd RB committees 

2 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

Probably San Francisco, because they love absurd RB committees 

Lol true, but I could see Washington signing him

25 minutes ago, UFGator said:

He'll definitely get picked up by some team...the question is which team???   

some longshots ...

Browns (experienced hand behind Chubbo)

Panthers (familiar with scheme/personnel)

Raiders (pending severity of the groin belonging to Jacobs)

• Like 1

It seems now he only excelled in LA due to the Rams scheme. Any RB will excel in that system.