Sign in to follow this  
rdf8585

Sonny Gray 2019 Outlook

37 minutes ago, brewcity said:

How much stock are you putting in the Derek Johnson/Sonny Gray reunion?

Quite a bit, I think he’s going to find his Oakland form this season

• Like 1

On the wire in my league. I have some weird fascination with this guy. I’m going to give him a shot and hope for a mid three ERA. Based on what he’s done before in his career, it certainly seems possible. It’s not like he’s old or anything and pitching in the NL should help.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

On the wire in my league. I have some weird fascination with this guy. I’m going to give him a shot and hope for a mid three ERA. Based on what he’s done before in his career, it certainly seems possible. It’s not like he’s old or anything and pitching in the NL should help.

My thoughts exactly.

Edited by Cheppy

Marlins next start is juicy.  Going to be a back end guy for me.  Depending how ratios and matchups going I’m not going to expose him to high end offenses like Phillies, @Coors, etc.  Also keep in mind when Kemp, Schebler, Puig are in lineup together you got probably the worst defensive OF in mlb so expect some misfortunate.

Everyone benching him @LAD? Turner and Bellinger will probably not be in the lineup but it's still an elite team. His last 10.2 IP have been Ace-like though

3 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

Everyone benching him @LAD? Turner and Bellinger will probably not be in the lineup but it's still an elite team. His last 10.2 IP have been Ace-like though

Riding the pine for me today. Ratios are sitting pretty right now. Has pitched well so far, but only against 2 weak lineups. LAD scares me today.

Solid start again today.  6IP, 9ks, 3ER.  Gave up a 3 run shot in the 6th.

Unless he's pitching in Yankee stadium he looks like a start.

• Like 2

I watched Gray's entire start today, looked really good. He was hitting 94-95 consistently, BIG breaking ball that he was throwing for strikes, he did fall behind in the count sometimes, but there were a few balls that were on the black that he didn't get the call. Overall, feeling good about him going forward.

• Like 2

Gray's underlying peripherals look really good so far. 10.24 K/9, 2.57 FIP, and 3.08 xFIP. Great American Ballpark isn't a great place to pitch, but it does seem like good Sonny Gray is back. Only thing that has me a little concerned cautious is that his swinging strike rate is lower than his career average, which means his K/9 is probably a bit of a mirage.

• Like 4

How does everybody feel about starting him tonight vs. ATL at GABP?  I'm leaning towards sitting him in this matchup.

9 hours ago, Kirito-Sama said:

Guess who is leading the senior circuit in FIP....

Not just the senior circuit - he leads all qualified SP's in FIP at the moment.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2019 at 4:00 AM, Cheppy said:

I'm starting him against any team.

Im prepared to drop this bum

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, summersoff7 said:

Im prepared to drop this bum

Good luck with that.

He's been OK but in leagues where W-L count he's really suffered since he's 0-4 currently.  Not great for QS either.  Definitely holding for now.  I think he'll only get better.

54 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

Good luck with that.

no luck involved.  quite simply I click on the "drop" button and he disappears, never to return.  

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

no luck involved.  quite simply I click on the "drop" button and he disappears, never to return.  

The good luck wish was in regards to being hastily reactionary running your team not your capabilities of hitting a keyboard. 

Tonight was his second clunker of a start out of 7. I’ll take those ratios all day from my 6th starter.

Edited by Cheppy

His FIP is still 2.35 and his xFIP is  still 3.30 after today's rough outing. He's oddly enough likely due for some positive regression.

Can anyone verify if Gray gets two starts or not this week? Seeing conflicting info in different places. 

Assuming no with the off day?

9 minutes ago, malta69 said:

Can anyone verify if Gray gets two starts or not this week? Seeing conflicting info in different places. 

Assuming no with the off day?

I don't see how he doesn't go 2x. The Pirates have 8 games this week.