Sign in to follow this  
rdf8585

Sonny Gray 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hatfieldodger said:

I’m going to wait until his next start @Cubs to determine a pick up. If he pitches decent he could be looked at as matchup proof.

Determine a pick up?? Lol he way pitching is going this year, he’s been worth a pick up for a long time and I don’t know if it would be smart to wait to pick him up.... are you in a shallow league??

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hatfieldodger said:

I’m going to wait until his next start @Cubs to determine a pick up. If he pitches decent he could be looked at as matchup proof.

 

His last 3 starts:

7 IP, 9 K, 1 Gidp, 1 ER, 6 TB @ Coors

8 IP, 12 K, 1 Gidp, 0 ER, 4 TB @ GAB vs Milwaukee 

6.1 IP, 6 K, 1 Gidp, 2 ER, 7 TB @ GAB vs Chc

 

Not sure what else you need to see. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pitching his brains out the last 3 starts, but I don't think I have the balls to throw him out there @CHC.  Anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Pitching his brains out the last 3 starts, but I don't think I have the balls to throw him out there @CHC.  Anyone else?

Statcast says he’s around 10-15th best SP. FIP xFIP and SIERA have been great all year, now the results are agreeing with the peripherals. He shutdown the Cubs with a gem two weeks ago and just threw a gem at the worst ballpark for pitchers. His worst start this year is 4 earned runs. He’s a set and forget ROS until proven otherwise imo 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5th highest GB% in the league. If you partner that with a decent SwStr rate, currently above 10%, then you have a pretty good recipe for success in a juiced ball season.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 5:56 PM, hangin n wangin said:

Determine a pick up?? Lol he way pitching is going this year, he’s been worth a pick up for a long time and I don’t know if it would be smart to wait to pick him up.... are you in a shallow league??

10 team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dundeeslugger said:

 

Why was he taken out after only giving up 2 hits and 85 pitches after 6 innings?

 

Pinch hit for in the T7 with 2 men on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 4:32 PM, ty5592 said:

Statcast says he’s around 10-15th best SP. FIP xFIP and SIERA have been great all year, now the results are agreeing with the peripherals. He shutdown the Cubs with a gem two weeks ago and just threw a gem at the worst ballpark for pitchers. His worst start this year is 4 earned runs. He’s a set and forget ROS until proven otherwise imo 

Good call.  Another strong outing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dundeeslugger said:

 

Why was he taken out after only giving up 2 hits and 85 pitches after 6 innings?

I ain’t mad at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

He looked really really good today.  Other than a couple of Wrigley summertime solo shots (at least one was a first pitch ambush by Bryant and Russel’s might have been as well), Sonny was filthy and unhittable.  Kept everything down in the zone, induced a ton of ground balls and lots of swing and misses.  This is the first time I’ve seen him pitch this year and I was very impressed.  He looks confident on the mound and his stuff looks elite.  Buy now if you can.  

Edited by Von Hayes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another great start. 6 innings 1 earned 4 hits 2 walks 7 ks at Milwaukee. 

Last 5 starts 33 1/3 IP 1.62 era (6 runs) 0.78 whip (19 hits 7 walks) 42 ks. Those 5 starts are vs Cubs, vs Brewers, at Rockies, at Cubs, at Brewers. He’s so hot right now 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

Another great start. 6 innings 1 earned 4 hits 2 walks 7 ks at Milwaukee. 

Last 5 starts 33 1/3 IP 1.62 era (6 runs) 0.78 whip (19 hits 7 walks) 42 ks. Those 5 starts are vs Cubs, vs Brewers, at Rockies, at Cubs, at Brewers. He’s so hot right now 

 

Hes a plug and play at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

 

Hes a plug and play at this point. 

He's a set and forget at this point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

He's a set and forget at this point.

 

Yes.  We're starting to see the guy the Yankees hoped to get after showing the talent in his 2014/15 seasons with the A's.  He's always had the ability, just needed to regain health and form. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“They [the Yankees] love sliders,” Gray told The Athletic. “Sliders are a great pitch. The numbers say slider is a good pitch, but you might not realize how many s–tty counts you’re getting in while throwing all those sliders. They wanted me to be [Masahiro] Tanaka and I’m way different from him.

“I can’t command my slider that well. I want to throw my slider in the dirt with two strikes, and that’s about it. I don’t have that type of slider, like Tanaka’s slider. His slider, the catcher will catch it, and the batter will swing and miss. If I get a swing and miss, the catcher is blocking it in the dirt. When I try to throw sliders for a strike, I get around it and it’s just a s–tty spinning pitch. I don’t know how people throw sliders for strikes that are still tight, good pitches. I’m at 2-0 and I’m throwing a slider, and either I’m throwing a s–tty slider in the zone, or I’m yanking it into the dirt and it’s 3-0 and I’m screwed either way.”

 

 

Yankees tried to make Gray pitch like Tanaka. Turns out they should've just let him be Sonny Gray.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2019 vs Chc:

 

23.1 ip, 2.70 era, 0.77 whip, 3 QS, 28 k vs 5 bb, 2 gidp.

 

Only egregious number is 5 homers, but he's only allowed 7 rbi so mostly solo shots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only question going into next year is whether he can be a trusted ace like he is pitching now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, B&F said:

The only question going into next year is whether he can be a trusted ace like he is pitching now.

Based on his career path, probably not, but crazier things have happened. It is strange that he’s had like two horrible years along with his good ones. And he’s never been the strikeout pitcher he is showing this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s SP23 in my league right now. Id consider drafting him SP20-25 next year. His fip (17th), xfip (17), siera (21), and statcast data have predicted him pitching like this all year. I think it’s safe to say it isn’t a fluke. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gray hasn't given up more than 4 earned runs in a start this season. His BB% will never be elite, but his K%, HR/9, H/9, and WHIP are all fantastic. His numbers look even better when you take into account the fact that Gray plays half his games in Great American Ball Park.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another game where Gray makes the Yankees ask themselves "why couldn't he do this for us?"

Even though he's on an awful team and will likely be lucky to win more than 12 games in a season, he's making a strong case to be a locked in keeper for people in keeper/dynasty leagues.  Aside from a higher walk rate, he's as good as he's been since his first 3 seasons in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.