Boudewijn

Ezekiel Elliott 2019 Outlook

20 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

More leverage MG or Zeke ūüėā

Between the two i'd say MG

1. Zeke has already been pegged with a significant suspension with the league

2. Zeke is just now breathing a sigh of relief that he's not facing another small suspension or nice $$$$ fine. The call to Roger's office provided the Cowboys with a bit more leverage, not Zeke  (and Yes i understand the Vegas thing was ridiculously overblown)

3. He has two years still left on his deal and Zeke will need to report to camp by Aug 6 to accrue a full season, which  also puts him obviously on track for his 9+mil 5th year option in 20'.

4. I don't see any, if at all public opinion blow back towards the Cowboys if they don't extend him right now. Only pressure the Cowboys will feel, will be coming from Zeke and his agent.

5. If he's paid attention at all, an RB holding out and choosing to remove himself from production on the field is walking the tight wire these days. 

6. The Cowboys rode D Murray hard and put him up wet and let him walk right on down the road.  We all know and see the league devaluing the position more and more. 

7. The Cowboys drafted TWO Running backs in this past draft.  I highly doubt both picks were made with the idea that Zeke is being replaced anytime in the next two seasons. And I'm also not convinced either Weber/Pollard could be an overly productive Pro RB.  BUT, does Zeke honestly want to remove himself from camp and the season to find out?  i doubt it.  If by some chance Weber/Pollard came right out the gate and helped the Cowboys off to a hot start, Zeke loses leverage by the day, IMO

Its no doubt smart for Zeke and his camp to put this out there this week.  All the talk lately is Dak and Cooper's extension. So i guess Zeke just wants a seat at the table too, so to speak.  I think that is what this is more about. He wants to get the dialogue cranked up once again and I'm sure the Cowboys will massage his ego a bit. 

That being said,  I think the Cowboys have just as much right to play this low and slow given the two years left on the deal and his off the field issues proving to be a potential liability.  Entering THIS season, i just don't see much ground for Zeke to stand on here.  MG has more leverage bc he simply doesn't come with this baggage, he's a very talented runner, he's entering the final year of his deal, and he has zero off the field issues to date.  

• Like 9

On 7/16/2019 at 3:04 AM, K197040 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/20/as-clock-ticks-for-cowboys-and-ezekiel-elliott-zeke-plans-to-leave-the-country/

The Cowboys report for camp in five days. Running back Ezekiel Elliott may or may not be there. Per a league source, Elliott currently is believed to be making plans for a trip out of the country.

That's all extremely vague of course, but after Gurley and Gordon, here's another guy to keep an eye on.

So far though, in the couple mocks I did the past days, each time he was drafted #1.

Posted (edited)

@BlakeP42 pretty much made the case for why the holdout story is either complete clickbait fabrication (wouldn't be Florio's first time to pull that) or AT WORST means Zeke misses 10 days of camp and reports 8/6 (unless Zeke and his agent are actually morons and have no clue how contracts work)

Edited by jonasdash
10 days instead of ~2 weeks
  • Thanks 1

Jerry Jones is going to have Zeke arrive at camp in the helicopter.  Zeke will be there.

• Haha 1

Just sucks because what a fun looking top 6 it was going into the season, now you got Barkley with some extra negativity and zeke would've been a great overall #1 as well, Gordon doing his thing. 

Kamara and CMC holding the fort still but man, I didn't see this coming with zeke although it's not like I keep tabs on contract bs. Although you'd think JJ would not stop at nothing to pay his boy 

Posted (edited)

I still think Zeke’s contract situation won’t be an issue for 2019. But thought the Zeke to Cabo alert was funny at the very least. 

Supposedly he is going there for training based on comments I’ve seen. I have no idea. 

Edited by gufomel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gufomel said:

I still think Zeke’s contract situation won’t be an issue for 2019. But thought the Zeke to Cabo alert was funny at the very least. 

Supposedly he is going there for training based on comments I’ve seen. I have no idea. 

He is definitely not going to Cabo for training.

1 minute ago, devaster said:

He is definitely not going to Cabo for training.

Thats where he trained during his 6 game suspension in 2017, so seems likely that’s what he’s going there for. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks a lot, Le'Veon. Even if Bell winds up never recouping that franchise tag money, the fact that the Jets paid him after his holdout totally validated the strategy.  If they don't find a way to fix this in the next CBA, every fantasy offseason is going to involve one or more top-5 backs holding out to keep their body fresh until they get their payday. Once again we have to guess how serious Zeke is about skipping the season, leaving us with this exhausting game of reading the tea leaves on his Mexican adventure, with Alfred Morris's range of outcomes being anywhere from RB98 to RB13.

Edited by eg4190
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Once again we have to guess how serious Zeke is about skipping the season, leaving us with this exhausting game of reading the tea leaves on his Mexican adventure, with Alfred Morris's range of outcomes being anywhere from RB98 to RB13.

He cant be too serious because if he doesnt report he will still be under contract next year under the same contract and wont become eligible to be a free agent. (Or that is atleast how I understood it.) His situation is different from bell's

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 3

I draft 2nd and was targeting zeke, but i got to be honest this situation is making me nervous. From what i read, he really has no leverage at all if he doesnt report and now we have alf who knows the system and can be capable, anyone worry he could eat into zekes strangle on touches due to jerry jones comments or will they demarco murrary him and ride him dry?

2 hours ago, eg4190 said:

Thanks a lot, Le'Veon. Even if Bell winds up never recouping that franchise tag money, the fact that the Jets paid him after his holdout totally validated the strategy.  If they don't find a way to fix this in the next CBA, every fantasy offseason is going to involve one or more top-5 backs holding out to keep their body fresh until they get their payday. Once again we have to guess how serious Zeke is about skipping the season, leaving us with this exhausting game of reading the tea leaves on his Mexican adventure, with Alfred Morris's range of outcomes being anywhere from RB98 to RB13.

Completely different situation.  Bell was not technically under contract(never signed his franchise tag).  Zeke is under contract and will show up at some point.  The question is would he sit out until the time comes for him to get credit for the season.  With all the issues he has had so far in his career I don't see him holding into the season.  

10 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Completely different situation.  Bell was not technically under contract(never signed his franchise tag).  Zeke is under contract and will show up at some point.  The question is would he sit out until the time comes for him to get credit for the season.  With all the issues he has had so far in his career I don't see him holding into the season.  

I've heard the idea that Zeke is actually holding out to increase the amount of time he has to let some drugs flush out of his system.  Could just be someone spreading nasty rumors but I could also see that being true. 

14 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

I've heard the idea that Zeke is actually holding out to increase the amount of time he has to let some drugs flush out of his system.  Could just be someone spreading nasty rumors but I could also see that being true. 

Lol.  Pretty sure the league can request to test a player at any time and if he refuses they count it as a failed test.  

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Lol.  Pretty sure the league can request to test a player at any time and if he refuses they count it as a failed test.  

Nah that's not how it works that's how prisoners on probation are treated.

Theres a deadline day where the NFL tests every player on the rosters for steroids and drugs. All the players in the NFL know just about where this day is on the calendar (before the start of training camp I believe).

This is apparently the only time a player is tested for illegal street drugs the entire year unless they have failed previously or entered the league with some drug use history.  So they all know roughly a month or so in advance when to stop doing their recreational drug of choice. They will however be tested for steroids randomly throughout the year but not the sweet sweet devils lettuce

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

They will however be tested for steroids randomly throughout the year

That's interesting. Do they for instance have to constantly keep teams and league alerted of their whereabouts so the testers can find them? For instance in cycling this is common; violating these rules is seen as a drug offense and leads to an automatic ban. 

Just now, Boudewijn said:

That's interesting. Do they for instance have to constantly keep teams and league alerted of their whereabouts so the testers can find them? For instance in cycling this is common; violating these rules is seen as a drug offense and leads to an automatic ban. 

If they get put on the NFL drug program they do. They can be tested anytime of the year when they are inside the country. Pat McAfee talks about this all the time he got on the NFL drug program when he got drunk and jumped in some canal.

The steroid testing is done during the season only i believe. I'm no expert. 

• Like 1

This needs settled so I can go ahead and keep him worry free. 

I still think that he'll be there taking the first Cowboys play of the year, but starting to worry a bit.

8 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Nah that's not how it works that's how prisoners on probation are treated.

Theres a deadline day where the NFL tests every player on the rosters for steroids and drugs. All the players in the NFL know just about where this day is on the calendar (before the start of training camp I believe).

ÔĽŅÔĽŅÔĽŅ This is apparently the only time a player is tested for illegal street drugs the entire year unless they have failed previously or entered the league with some drug use history.¬†¬†So they all know roughly a month or so in advance when to stop¬†doing their recreational drug of choice. They will however be tested for steroids randomly throughout the year but not the sweet sweet devils lettuce

Your travel will not interrupt your testing.

- Testing WILL be conducted at international locations and players are still required to comply with testing while traveling internationally.

- You will have four hours to provide a specimen after you are contacted by the collector just like when you are state side.

- If you provide false or misleading information regarding your international travel, you will be in violation of the Program and may be disciplined.

- If you are traveling internationally you MUST provide the dates of your travel to each location as well as a street address and telephone number where you can be reached at all times.

- You also MUST keep copies of travel documentation for four months after your trip. Travel documents include boarding passes, hotel and meal receipts and/or other forms of proof that you traveled. - The Performance Enhancing Substances policy requires you to update Dr. Lombardo through the PES website. To get assistance with your username/password or update location by phone, call (614) 620-6052.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

EAt_NOmX4AABRj1.jpg

This is normally true.  But usually you do have your lead back and offensive scheme identified long before training camp.

• Like 1