Boudewijn

Ezekiel Elliott 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

On one hand, Zeke signed a contract, and needs to honor it. IRL, if someone exceeds their ability on an existing contract, they don’t get to demand more money and withhold work. I find it inexcusable that the league and union even allow this to happen. 

On the other hand, they need to get rid of the current way contracts are handled. The top running back in a year, should get paid the top pay for that year. It’s time to move to performance based contracts. Everyone gets a base salary, and earns bonuses on everything from snaps played, to league leaders. Team bonuses for wins and team rankings, etc. Like in fantasy football, end of the year there is a list of best player to worst, and that’s how each should be paid top guy gets highest pay for the year, and lowest guy gets lowest pay. (Based on predetermined nfl ranking categories, not from fantasy football rankings)

You wouldn’t see anyone holdout ever again for money!

Zeke is elite. But the Cowboys line is the best in the NFL. Would Zeke put up the same stats had he played for the Bucs??? Can Pollard put up numbers somewhat close to Zeke in Dallas??? As of now, we won’t know those answers. If Pollard can put up 85% the stats Zeke did, why would the cowboys want to spend 15 million on Zeke, when Pollard is playing for peanuts? That money can be put towards making sure the cowboys keep the best offensive line in football, so pollard could keep working. 

If cowboys pay Zeke 15 million, then they might not be able to retain the best lineman, which in a couple years, could start affecting Zekes production and Dak’s health. 

Football is a team game, players that only care about being paid the most, affect their ability to do their job in the future, by hamstringing their teams ability to afford the best supporting players. After all, the NFL has a salary cap. 

Interesting suggestion.  Never gonna happen tho.   

The CBA will undoubtedly attempt to address these troublesome areas of inequity.   Shorter rookie deals would be my first order of business.   The union got destroyed last time-  and they’re gearing up for a battle.   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news5cleveland.com/sports/nfl-players-association-sends-letter-to-agents-about-potential-work-stoppage-in-2021%3f_amp=true

7 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

On the other hand, they need to get rid of the current way contracts are handled. The top running back in a year, should get paid the top pay for that year. It’s time to move to performance based contracts. Everyone gets a base salary, and earns bonuses on everything from snaps played, to league leaders. Team bonuses for wins and team rankings, etc. Like in fantasy football, end of the year there is a list of best player to worst, and that’s how each should be paid top guy gets highest pay for the year, and lowest guy gets lowest pay. (Based on predetermined nfl ranking categories, not from fantasy football rankings)

You wouldn’t see anyone holdout ever again for money!

I like the idea of performance based salary but I think that opens up a giant can of worms if that's the norm.  

Shorter rookie deals would screw a lot of average to below average rookies though. Besides, Teams build around smaller contracts, to afford the higher contracts. Having rookie deals constantly ending sooner, would make it significantly more difficult to plan for bigger contracts for the best players. Not to mention, younger players switching teams a lot more often, when they never peaked or fully learned one teams play book. 

As a fan, I hate seeing my favorite players leave teams.

Reports saying he's going to holdout for 6 weeks

One big issue I can see right off the bat with performance based pay, is people demanding the ball more, to pad their stats. 

Thats is why I think they would need to incorporate a lot of team based bonuses. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

I like the idea of performance based salary but I think that opens up a giant can of worms if that's the norm.  

Performance based salary would be difficult.  There needs to be a way to judge a player's performance absent what his team / teammates did.  I don't know what metric you use.

It's the same issue with paying teachers based upon the performance of their students.  What if you have a student that just doesn't want to study?  Kinda unfair to cut a teacher's pay because the student is bad.

1 minute ago, CABLE87 said:

Reports saying he's going to holdout for 6 weeks

Source?

Odd only 6 weeks, since he doesn’t have to be back till week 10 to get credited with a season, if this is true. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

Shorter rookie deals would screw a lot of average to below average rookies though. Besides, Teams build around smaller contracts, to afford the higher contracts. Having rookie deals constantly ending sooner, would make it significantly more difficult to plan for bigger contracts for the best players. Not to mention, younger players switching teams a lot more often, when they never peaked or fully learned one teams play book. 

As a fan, I hate seeing my favorite players leave teams.

The long and cheap rookie contracts are hurting vets big time, as well as undervalued positions.  If you want players to stay around, they need equal footing to price controlled rookies 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raynestorm said:

Source?

Odd only 6 weeks, since he doesn’t have to be back till week 10 to get credited with a season, if this is true. 

Just now, Brownsfan74 said:

Performance based salary would be difficult.  There needs to be a way to judge a player's performance absent what his team / teammates did.  I don't know what metric you use.

It's the same issue with paying teachers based upon the performance of their students.  What if you have a student that just doesn't want to study?  Kinda unfair to cut a teacher's pay because the student is bad.

Valid argument. Performance pay is Definitely not without its holes. 

The current pay plan has numerous too. 

That is a very speculative report right there.  All of it is based off of the same quotes Jerry Jones made at the luncheon.  “We’ve got a marathon here,” Jones said earlier this week. “We want Zeke when we get to the playoffs. We want Zeke when we’re in the dog days of the season.”  There's nothing new there, but a headline of "Cowboys anticipate Zeke holds out 6 weeks" will sure get some clicks.  

• Like 1

Ok so it's officially time to take this holdout seriously.  I agree six games is an odd choice, but to me that makes it more believable.  For them to land on six game, it makes me think that's what Zeke has communicated to them as his plan.  If that's the case.....what's his fair value heading into draft weekend?  Third rounder and auction value around the low 30s?

7 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

The long and cheap rookie contracts are hurting vets big time, as well as undervalued positions.  If you want players to stay around, they need equal footing to price controlled rookies 

I was thinking about this recently. Rookie deals shouldn’t be more than 3 years tops.

• Like 1

Just now, bob123dude said:

That is a very speculative report right there.  All of it is based off of the same quotes Jerry Jones made at the luncheon.  “We’ve got a marathon here,” Jones said earlier this week. “We want Zeke when we get to the playoffs. We want Zeke when we’re in the dog days of the season.”  There's nothing new there, but a headline of "Cowboys anticipate Zeke holds out 6 weeks" will sure get some clicks.  

Interesting...thx for posting.  But those comments don't say anything about six weeks.  So where does six weeks come from?  Must be somewhere if PFT and Sleeper are both reporting it I would think

1 minute ago, bob123dude said:

Bingo.   All the sudden they’re going to cave in week 6 but not now?  As if they’re the patriots and have the division locked up before the season starts.  

“We don’t need to win those first six”

- nobody 

Just now, ThunderDan said:

Interesting...thx for posting.  But those comments don't say anything about six weeks.  So where does six weeks come from?  Must be somewhere if PFT and Sleeper are both reporting it I would think

There is no quote about six weeks from anyone.  That's my point.  It's a clickbait article from PFT that Sleeper referenced.  PFT took that Jerry Jones quote and asked what does "dog days of the season mean" and came to the hypothesis that it means six weeks.  It's just their interpretation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I was thinking about this recently. Rookie deals shouldn’t be more than 3 years tops.

This is actually an interesting topic. I both agree and disagree. It's really tough. From a player standpoint, it becomes more like the NBA where a player can hit free agency multiple times in his career, but from a fan standpoint, I'm not sure if I would want to see my team become a game of musical chairs. I can imagine gear and apparel sales would decline big time. From a team standpoint, would you really want to invest in a first round or second round pick which is normally a franchise type player for just three years. Owners would never give up that much control. Maybe, it could be a scenario where later round picks can fall under a shorter contract period.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Raynestorm said:

Looks like Jerry is gonna play hardball now. That’s unless the cowboys open the season 0-2! Lol

They open with Giants, Washington, and Miami.  What if they're 3-0, and Pollard shows him they don't need Zeke?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GriffeySwag said:

😂

People are really wasting 6th round picks on a guy that will be on waivers by the time Zeke (inevitably) signs?

It seems crazy, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there looking at what James Conner did (rightly or wrongly) and want a piece of that action this year.

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Right? 

It gets a little nuts this time of year lol.  If someone wants my cuff that bad then take him.   I’d love to see who’s available if people draft like this...

In a 10 teamer you're looking at Landry, Hunter Henry, DJ Moore, Robby Anderson, Miles Sanders, etc so it's not completely outlandish to take Pollard there with Zeke's uncertainty. I personally wouldn't want to use higher than an 8-9 on Pollard but if I draft Zeke in round 1 I don't think I can risk not getting Pollard, right?

The reason week six comes up is because Zeke knows he needs to be available for 8 games to get credit for season. he knows the cowboys could use up to 3 week roster exception before he is active. This insures his camp he gets credit if cowboys try it

1 minute ago, fourlees said:

The reason week six comes up is because Zeke knows he needs to be available for 8 games to get credit for season. he knows the cowboys could use up to 3 week roster exception before he is active. This insures his camp he gets credit if cowboys try it

Is this true?  I don't believe it is, but I could be wrong.