Boudewijn

Ezekiel Elliott 2019 Outlook

4 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Considering the Patriots have the best defense in the league, its in NE and Belichick is a master at taking away the opposing teams best player, I would greatly temper my expectations on Zeke this week. 

Cowboys take away zeke on their own...they should be scheming to disrupt dak which they should do easily

• Like 1

starting with strong lack of confidence. 2018 Conner is going to have a rough day.

Couple months back I got murdered on this thread for suggesting the Cowboys should load manage Zeke, pass more and involve him more as a receiver. I'm not sure 100% sure that his play is reflecting dead legs, but he sure looks like a plodback running behind a very good offensive line to me this season,. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

Couple months back I got murdered on this thread for suggesting the Cowboys should load manage Zeke, pass more and involve him more as a receiver. I'm not sure 100% sure that his play is reflecting dead legs, but he sure looks like a plodback running behind a very good offensive line to me this season,. 

I keep hearing this - just wondering if it's really true. 

A lot of the discussion in this thread has centered around the maddening lack of imagination with his usage, i.e. run right up the middle over and over. I think that's as valid a complaint as anything else and I've made it myself.

But if this OL is as great as everyone says, why does it matter? If they were so "good", wouldn't they be creating running lanes on these vanilla-up-the-middle run plays? I've watched plenty of Cowboy football this year and my non-lying eyes have seen very little running-lane creation, to Zeke's credit. 

One Cowboy OL that was certifiably one of the greatest ever turned out a HOF'er (mid-90s, Emmitt) off those types of plays.

So - I'm not convinced this line is so "good". They seem to be pretty damn good pass blocking, but on the run side no.

Edited by SuperJoint

59 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I keep hearing this - just wondering if it's really true. 

A lot of the discussion in this thread has centered around the maddening lack of imagination with his usage, i.e. run right up the middle over and over. I think that's as valid a complaint as anything else and I've made it myself.

But if this OL is as great as everyone says, why does it matter? If they were so "good", wouldn't they be creating running lanes on these vanilla-up-the-middle run plays? I've watched plenty of Cowboy football this year and my non-lying eyes have seen very little running-lane creation, to Zeke's credit. 

One Cowboy OL that was certifiably one of the greatest ever turned out a HOF'er (mid-90s, Emmitt) off those types of plays.

So - I'm not convinced this line is so "good". They seem to be pretty damn good pass blocking, but on the run side no.

They are one of the best offensive lines in the league, but you bring up an excellent point. The scheme emphasis now is on the passing game and who could really argue with the results? Best offense in the league right now or at least that's what I've heard mentioned on the sports talk shows.

To me EE doesn't look like the dominant runner he was over the first 3 years of his career. I just don't know if his legs are dead this season from all the mileage or if he's just hesitating because the gaping holes are fewer and far between. He has about 600 college carries and to date a little over 1000 NFL carries. And Zeke's not the most elusive back so his carries are the more punishing variety as well. 

I own a few shares of Elliott in dynasty so hopefully this is just an adjustment period for him. I wish they would feed him more receptions like last season. That would help make up for his relative lack of elite production this year. 

Edited by pikerbkb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pikerbkb said:

I wish they would feed him more receptions like last season...

To me this is the primary problem. There's nothing up the middle. As Pollard has shown, painfully, the points are there to be had in the passing game for whatever reason (after signing Zeke to an insane contract) this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

To me this is the primary problem. There's nothing up the middle. As Pollard has shown, painfully, the points are there to be had in the passing game for whatever reason (after signing Zeke to an insane contract) this year.

Right. They should have a plan for him for Jerry to get his ROI. Maybe they are saving him for the post season and will throw in some new wrinkles in the offense toward playoff time to get him more involved in the passing game. This is all we hope for right now. I need him to close out strong as I head into the fantasy playoffs.

Regardless, will likely see another floor type week tomorrow. Hoping for a couple of TDs because the yards won't likely be there vs that tough Patriots defense. 

1 hour ago, pikerbkb said:

They are one of the best offensive lines in the league, but you bring up an excellent point. The scheme emphasis now is on the passing game and who could really argue with the results? Best offense in the league right now or at least that's what I've heard mentioned on the sports talk shows.

To me EE doesn't look like the dominant runner he was over the first 3 years of his career. I just don't know if his legs are dead this season from all the mileage or if he's just hesitating because the gaping holes are fewer and far between. He has about 600 college carries and to date a little over 1000 NFL carries. And Zeke's not the most elusive back so his carries are the more punishing variety as well. 

I own a few shares of Elliott in dynasty so hopefully this is just an adjustment period for him. I wish they would feed him more receptions like last season. That would help make up for his relative lack of elite production this year. 

Maybe he already got paid and lost the hunger aka eye of the tiger

Edited by Dr. Whom
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Maybe he already got paid and lost the hunger aka eye of the tiger

No running lanes. No one can run when the entire defense is keying on you running in between the guards on every play and the OL can't make it work.

7 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

No running lanes. No one can run when the entire defense is keying on you running in between the guards on every play and the OL can't make it work.

Tony pollard can do it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Tony pollard can do it

Austin Ekeler Effect. Would like to see how Pollard fairs as a starter when defenses can key on him as the primary runner. 

Edited by pikerbkb

Sports writers seeing the same thing we do. Like I said before, hopefully just an adjustment period and not a sign of Elliott's decline. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2019/11/15/zeke-all-day-numbers-show-ezekiel-elliott-isnt-the-same-and-the-cowboys-offensive-identity-is-changing-because-of-it/

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Tony pollard can do it

I'd really really really love to see that.

Let's give Pollard the same crap usage Zeke has gotten and see what he does. Really would love to see it -excellent idea.

Everything Pollard has done has been on the perimeter this yr, where DAL does not put Zeke.

Stop Dak, beat Dallas.

Coach Bill

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjb said:

Stop Dak, beat Dallas.

Coach Bill

Yeah, that's about it.

31 minutes ago, mjb said:

Stop Dak, beat Dallas.

Coach Bill

26 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Yeah, that's about it.

And Garrett won’t adjust, thus gets out coached. Or maybe they’ll surprise us. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

There have been a lot of injuries on the O-line this year.

Not really.  We were without Tyron Smith for 2 games, and La'el and Connor each missed one game.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

There have been a lot of injuries on the O-line this year.

I think you mean there have been a lot of excuses for zeke this year. All proven false as he is on one of the best offenses in the league

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonasdash said:

Not really.  We were without Tyron Smith for 2 games, and La'el and Connor each missed one game.  

My point is that there have been several games where one or more starters were out. Consistency in personnel is required to have a great O-line, and they have to develop a rhythm and all work together. The holes for Zeke have not been as big this year as they’ve been in the past.

Just now, kraftwrk_5 said:

My point is that there have been several games where one or more starters were out. Consistency in personnel is required to have a great O-line, and they have to develop a rhythm and all work together. The holes for Zeke have not been as big this year as they’ve been in the past.

Because Zeke has been trying to jog through them instead of running through them. He is a jogging back now

• Haha 1

Zeke has come pretty close to matching his high ADP, not sure why this thread is always so negative.