Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, bomont said:

Second tier RBs seem so weird to me this year. Meaning how much of a gap there is between them and that top tier, or that third tier, and why, all over the map. 

I like Mixon and DJ myself.

13 hours ago, BrianM said:

I'm just speaking to him directly on the off chance he reads this forum and I draft him, so he's not mad at me and doesn't fall at the one yard line and sub out for Ek in a week i really need him to ball out.

Were you playing FF went MJD went down at the 1 to hold the ball and win the game? 

I'll always love that dude but always hate that freaking move!! 

Needless to say it cost me something, can't remember what, but I remember it costing me something. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Needless to say it cost me something, can't remember what, but I remember it costing me something. 

Something between a heart attack and an aneurysm?

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Haha 1

On 6/21/2019 at 6:27 AM, bomont said:

? Which one of us do you think is Gordon?  (Not me, FYI) I'm curious because I'd like to ask him if he's going to try and draft himself this year. Because if I see any "well I am worried about my ha......uhhhh DUDE I'm so totally drafting me, I'm fine" comments I will avoid him like the plague. 

If Gordon himself were drafting and took himself in round one, I'm fairly sure he'd at least try to get Ekelar later on. He knows.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:43 AM, BrianM said:

Or hopefully that overbidder sees Bell as the end of the tier?     It could be any of a few guys I guess, but its more likely than not that a top 10 but not top 4 back (maybe even two of them) fall prey to this.   

Tier one is the top 4. This is my tier 2 ...5. Bell 6. Gordon 7. Mixon 8. Conner

Just got the alert that Gordon is threating to hold out and demand a trade if he does not get a new contract. 

You can't blame him.   That UFA market is cold for RB's, and he's gonna have to put a lot more wear and tear on those bones before he'd even get there next spring.  

Same time though- coming off the Gurley deal now heading towards albatross territory, why would the Chargers want to throw him a risky deal?      

This has the potential to get ugly. 

Chargers went 4-0 in the games he missed last season, including beating the Chiefs on the road.     Gordon has made about 10 mil so far in the first four seasons.  He's set to earn 5.6 million this year, i'd call his bluff and say there's no way he skips out on week 1 and that kind of cash.      

9 minutes ago, BrianM said:

You can't blame him.   That UFA market is cold for RB's, and he's gonna have to put a lot more wear and tear on those bones before he'd even get there next spring.  

Same time though- coming off the Gurley deal now heading towards albatross territory, why would the Chargers want to throw him a risky deal?      

This has the potential to get ugly. 

Who is his agent?? 

What a genius. 

He gave chargers 0 indication this was happening. 

Waited until after draft and free agency, now there's basically no one left except maybe ajayi and Alfred Morris. 

This team wants to win and needs to win now. The window is today and those other 2 backs are not gonna cut it. 

I think they are handcuffed and have to pay him. Otherwise it's going to be a mess with likely 3 guys seeing work IMO. 

11 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Chargers went 4-0 in the games he missed last season, including beating the Chiefs on the road.     Gordon has made about 10 mil so far in the first four seasons.  He's set to earn 5.6 million this year, i'd call his bluff and say there's no way he skips out on week 1 and that kind of cash.      

100% he skips. 

Hmmm I thought at first that this could get interesting but it’s different from Bell right? Wouldn’t Melvin need to play to tick the year off his contract and be able to hit free agency? I wouldn’t think he can just sit and pass on the 5.6 mill to protect whatever he thinks he can get as FA. If that’s the case he has almost no leverage.

IF Gordon holds out the RB1 replacement on this LAC roster is Justin Jackson IMHO, not Austin Ekeler, who will continue to maintain his COP role.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Hes going to make a hell of alot more then 5.6 million his next contract even if he sits out the entire season.

Just now, FollowTheLeader said:

IF Gordon holds out the RB1 replacement on this LAC roster is Justin Jackson IMHO, not Austin Ekeler, who will continue to maintain his COP role.

Correct. They tried Ekeler as the main RB when Gordon was out. And Ekeler sucked. 

2 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

I think I’d agree with that. Ekeler did out touch Jackson 2:1 in games Gordon missed last year but he wasn’t very good and got hurt. I lean to Jackson being the heavier side of a committee if it somehow gets to that.  

16 minutes ago, Bmore86 said:

Hmmm I thought at first that this could get interesting but it’s different from Bell right? Wouldn’t Melvin need to play to tick the year off his contract and be able to hit free agency? I wouldn’t think he can just sit and pass on the 5.6 mill to protect whatever he thinks he can get as FA. If that’s the case he has almost no leverage.

He’d need to show up by week 10 to acrue this season per the CBA, I believe.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

He’d need to show up by week 10 to acrue this season per the CBA, I believe.

Gotcha thanks. So he would have some leverage but not the leverage of sitting out the entire year. 

I wonder what'll leak out about the demands.   I wont trust much of it, but if the indication is he wants Gurley money, that's a very hard sell to a guy who's had knee problems of his own, though not as bad.   If he's fine with David Johnson money, that's feasible.   

• Like 1

Damn you Gordon! I was all set to nominate you in our auction and watch someone overpay. Honor your damn contract. 

I can almost see steam coming out of Rivers' ears.

That's just pent up stress bc he can't get laid unless she's ovulating.

• Haha 1

The more I think of it, the wait until week 10 option makes sense for Gordon.   He's proven ability, at least enough that there should be some strong demand for him at a good price.   All he really needs to do is be healthy come spring, and its worth the ~$3 million in lost salary to cut down on his mileage going into 2020.  He doesn't need to put up a big contract year necessarily.   He'll still cash some checks, and he won't have a cloud over him from GM's wondering what the year off did to him.    

Waiting until now was about the best he could for timing and leverage, but there's no shortage of bloated backfields that LA could easily pillage for a 5th round pick, or something close, should it come to that.   The Chargers have just under 11 million in space per Spotrac. so no real issue there.  

There's a few potential studly backs also poised for free agency after this season:  Hunt, Henry, and Drake stand out a bit.