Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

i don't think he is sitting out till week 10 for 1 simple reason.  he will be fined each week he isn't there.  and he is going to be getting a prorated salary for weeks 10-17.  between the fines and pro-rated salary he is going to be virtually playing for free the second half of the year.  so it seems more likely he'll burn maybe 2-3 weeks sitting out in protest while he tries to find a trade and a team willing to give him a new contract and then he'll report.  because otherwise the numbers simply won't add up.  hell it could end up he is paying them to play.  of course they could waive his fines i suppose or it could be even worse and they play the exemption game with him which will really screw up his money for this year

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s definitely not looking good for Gordon’s hopes of a new deal. Seems like management won’t budge. He needs to hope for a bad week from the Ekeler/Jackson combo or an injury to one. As an owner I hope he comes back next week after having made his point by missing week 1. Waiting till week 10 is a possibility, but I don’t know that helps his cause. He would still be under contract for next year also. Has he made enough money to forfeit paychecks this year and next in the hopes of preserving his body for his next deal? Doing so could also hinder his market value because he won’t be performing and his lack of team commitment would be seen as a negative. The Chargers realized his lack of leverage and called his bluff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevinwayne20 said:

 

Maybe my evaluation is off for a lot of backs around the league if I should be ignoring everything but a RB's career YPC number?

  

 

 

Your evaluation would be off if you actually ignore the on-field production.

 

Melvin has lower career ypc than Zeke, Kamara, DJ, Leveon, Gurley, Devonta, Saquon, Dalvin Cook, James Conner, (+Jordan Howard, Lamar Miller, Latavius Murray) and just about any other above average or better starting running back. There is no reason he should be getting paid like an upper echelon back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Panthor said:

i don't think he is sitting out till week 10 for 1 simple reason.  he will be fined each week he isn't there.  and he is going to be getting a prorated salary for weeks 10-17.  between the fines and pro-rated salary he is going to be virtually playing for free the second half of the year.  so it seems more likely he'll burn maybe 2-3 weeks sitting out in protest while he tries to find a trade and a team willing to give him a new contract and then he'll report.  because otherwise the numbers simply won't add up.  hell it could end up he is paying them to play.  of course they could waive his fines i suppose or it could be even worse and they play the exemption game with him which will really screw up his money for this year

 

Is this the case? Not saying you are wrong, I just haven't really heard much about him being fined.  I know that when a player signs, usually the team will waive fines for missed time. But again, I can't say I've heard heard much from this aspect of Gordon's hold out into the regular season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bowman said:

 

Is this the case? Not saying you are wrong, I just haven't really heard much about him being fined.  I know that when a player signs, usually the team will waive fines for missed time. But again, I can't say I've heard heard much from this aspect of Gordon's hold out into the regular season.

 

He may or may not be fined, but those game checks are 330K each or so.  Each week he holds out, he's losing 330K above and beyond any fines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bowman said:

 

Is this the case? Not saying you are wrong, I just haven't really heard much about him being fined.  I know that when a player signs, usually the team will waive fines for missed time. But again, I can't say I've heard heard much from this aspect of Gordon's hold out into the regular season.

If there ever was a team to not waive the fines it would be the chargers. They (along with titans) are super cheap in contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

Waiting till week 10 is a possibility, but I don’t know that helps his cause. He would still be under contract for next year also. 

 

 

this is the last year of his rookie deal. if he returns for the minimum amount of weeks, he's a free agent next year. but if he holds out all year, the chargers could just pick up the $5.6 mill option on him again next year and he'd still be under contract.

 

i've done some digging, and it's unclear when he'd have to report to keep his contract from tolling.

 

it used to be "week 7." but i'm seeing one website report "november 29th" for gordon, which would be week 13. i'm not sure where they're getting that date...

 

i don't know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, astrongcupofjoel said:

 

 

this is the last year of his rookie deal. if he returns for the minimum amount of weeks, he's a free agent next year. but if he holds out all year, the chargers could just pick up the $5.6 mill option on him again next year and he'd still be under contract.

 

i've done some digging, and it's unclear when he'd have to report to keep his contract from tolling.

 

it used to be "week 7." but i'm seeing one website report "november 29th" for gordon, which would be week 13. i'm not sure where they're getting that date...

 

i don't know...

 

It's been linked and quoted here as well as the Zeke thread.  He must report and be available for a minimum of six regular season games.  The team can keep him inactive or activate him but if he makes himself available for six games, this year will count and he will become a free agent.

I'm sort of curious now - what if he showed up for week 1, disappeared for weeks 2-3, showed up for week 4, etc and still did the six games by skipping various games over the season?

 

Edited by oban14
expanding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, genya said:

 

Your evaluation would be off if you actually ignore the on-field production.

 

Melvin has lower career ypc than Zeke, Kamara, DJ, Leveon, Gurley, Devonta, Saquon, Dalvin Cook, James Conner, (+Jordan Howard, Lamar Miller, Latavius Murray) and just about any other above average or better starting running back. There is no reason he should be getting paid like an upper echelon back. 

 

There are 38 reasons over the last 3 years that would suggest otherwise.  His piss poor rookie season makes his career averages look less impressive.  Since that season he's averaged over 105 yards from scrimmage and almost a TD per game.  Last year, Gordon averaged almost a half yard more per carry than Alvin Kamara who might be one of the league's most explosive backs.  Gordon's biggest issue is availablity.  

 

It's crazy to completely ignore his yardage, catches and elite TD production because of a low career YPC that's terribly skewed by a bad rookie year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oban14 said:

Dolphins and Texans could each use an RB and have plenty of cap space to do it.  Dolphins are in rebuild mode so I don't see it there.  I think if Houston's run game is abysmal that is a possible landing spot.

Houston is about out of assets. They’ve already moved Clowney. They gave up future picks for Duke...and then Hyde. Then they gave up a ton for Tunsil. 

 

He wont be a Texan. If they wanted to pay Melvin, they wouldn’t have traded for Duke and Hyde. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe he has no market.  I am hoping that the floated AAV of Zekes likely deal makes him realize he is not getting what he believes he is worth and reports.  The chargers can fine him $40k for each day he missed in the preseason as well as weekly game checks.  He missed all of camp which started in July 24th.  That is 35 days ($1,400,000), I am sure that they would waive the fines if he reported but if he waits until week 10 that seems less likely.  He will lose $330k per game he fails to report for.  He stands to lose and/or owe significant sums.  Unfortunately he has boxed himself into a corner and pride may get the better of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sick and tired of GM’s holding rb’s at financial distance as if they could get hurt any second (so could anyone really). It’s one thing if only one rb is holding out, but many are beginning to. They simply just aren’t getting paid at all. When Jacoby Brissett is now making 15 million a year and Gordon is currently at 5, there’s a HUGE problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, jjbooda said:

I believe he has no market.  I am hoping that the floated AAV of Zekes likely deal makes him realize he is not getting what he believes he is worth and reports.  The chargers can fine him $40k for each day he missed in the preseason as well as weekly game checks.  He missed all of camp which started in July 24th.  That is 35 days ($1,400,000), I am sure that they would waive the fines if he reported but if he waits until week 10 that seems less likely.  He will lose $330k per game he fails to report for.  He stands to lose and/or owe significant sums.  Unfortunately he has boxed himself into a corner and pride may get the better of him.

 

I don't think this is about pride, I think this is about landing a long term deal.  If he reports and blows out his knee/achilles this season, he just isn't getting a big contract from anyone.  Playing six games instead of 16 improves the odds of his not getting injured (assuming his conditioning is up to par while he's out).  What was he due this year, 6 million?  Just like Bell last year, seems like a lot to throw away in the hopes of a bigger deal next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oban14 said:

I don't think this is about pride, I think this is about landing a long term deal.  

 

Hasn't he repeatedly turned down a long term deal that would've paid him $10m/year?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a 12 team PPR league with 2 keepers, what round would you guys feel comfortable taking Melvin in? Sounds like he may be back in our draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Gordon has a team interested in trading for him & preliminary talks have begun...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

I’m sick and tired of GM’s holding rb’s at financial distance as if they could get hurt any second (so could anyone really). It’s one thing if only one rb is holding out, but many are beginning to. They simply just aren’t getting paid at all. When Jacoby Brissett is now making 15 million a year and Gordon is currently at 5, there’s a HUGE problem.

You're never going to close the gap on QB, though. Too few can play capably. That's simple supply/demand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

Apparently Gordon has a team interested in trading for him & preliminary talks have begun...

 

I'd say that is a best case scenario for him and his owners at this point.

This is ugly, ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bingo Bandanas said:

 

I'd say that is a best case scenario for him and his owners at this point.

This is ugly, ugly.


Why is it ugly? You knew the concerns when drafting him. You should be happier now that a team is trying to trade for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bucs would be a fantastic landing spot for him, and really one of the few places I could see making sense at this point. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.