Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

Just now, hoppychokes said:

LAC doesn't value Gordon enough to pay him what he wants but wants more than Patriots got for Jimmy G and Brissett? How can they tell Gordon to explore trade options then say they want a first and a fifth?

Because they have no intent to trade him unless a team is stupid enough to offer a ridiculous asking price.

They own him and want him to know it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Because they have no intent to trade him unless a team is stupid enough to offer a ridiculous asking price.

They own him and want him to know it.

I know, its just so damn dirty. Even for the Spanos.

1 minute ago, hoppychokes said:

I know, its just so damn dirty. Even for the Spanos.

I mean it's been building to this. People vilified Bell for doing it last year. It's going to continue being a trend as long as contracts are so heavily owner sided unless they reach some agreement in the next CBA which I highly doubt will happen.

Gordon gotta realize, he's won nothing. 10 million to play when you've won nothing is a damn good day at the office still 

• Like 1

Rolled the dice on Gordon and took him in the 4th round of my 14 team PPR....where have others been taking him or seen him go?

2 minutes ago, The Lame Duck said:

Rolled the dice on Gordon and took him in the 4th round of my 14 team PPR....where have others been taking him or seen him go?

Got him in 6th 

5 hours ago, kevinwayne20 said:

There are 38 reasons over the last 3 years that would suggest otherwise.  His piss poor rookie season makes his career averages look less impressive.  Since that season he's averaged over 105 yards from scrimmage and almost a TD per game.  Last year, Gordon averaged almost a half yard more per carry than Alvin Kamara who might be one of the league's most explosive backs.  Gordon's biggest issue is availablity.  

It's crazy to completely ignore his yardage, catches and elite TD production because of a low career YPC that's terribly skewed by a bad rookie year.  

I took out Melvin's rookie year stats and compared his career numbers vs. 12 other backs who I thought were pretty good and Melvin ends up as:

YPC -       12 out of 13

TD/Touch - 6 out of 13

Catch % - 11 out of 13

Yards/Rec - 5 out of 13

Based on these numbers and among this group of RBs he'd rank somewhere around 10, but that's not elite.

Player Time G Rush Yds RuTD Y/A Tgt Rec Yds Y/R RecTD Ctch% Touch RRTD Fmb TD/Touch
Chubb Career 16 192 996 8 5.1875 29 20 149 7.45 2 69.0% 212 10 0 4.72%
Kamara Career 31 314 1611 22 5.1306 205 162 1535 9.48 9 79.0% 476 31 2 6.51%
Saquon Career 16 261 1307 11 5.0077 121 91 721 7.92 4 75.2% 352 15 0 4.26%
Hunt Career 27 453 2151 15 4.7483 98 79 833 10.54 10 80.6% 532 25 1 4.70%
Dalvin Career 15 207 969 4 4.6812 65 51 395 7.75 2 78.5% 258 6 3 2.33%
Zeke Career 40 868 4048 28 4.6636 172 135 1199 8.88 6 78.5% 1003 34 12 3.39%
McCaffrey Career 32 336 1533 9 4.5625 237 187 1518 8.12 11 78.9% 523 20 6 3.82%
Conner Career 27 247 1117 12 4.5223 72 55 497 9.04 1 76.4% 302 13 4 4.30%
Gurley Career 58 1042 4547 46 4.3637 252 187 1883 10.07 10 74.2% 1229 56 11 4.56%
Le'veon Career 62 1229 5336 35 4.3417 397 312 2660 8.53 7 78.6% 1541 42 8 2.73%
Mixon Career 28 415 1794 12 4.3229 89 73 583 7.99 1 82.0% 488 13 3 2.66%
Gordon Non Rookie 41 713 2987 28 4.1893 206 149 1385 9.30 10 72.3% 862 38 4 4.41%
DJ Career 49 687 2783 31 4.0509 262 172 1849 10.75 11 65.6% 859 42 14 4.89%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's say he hold out 10 weeks and returns for the final six, does he have value?

Does he play hard?

Or is he just showing up to collect the $$ and get the year credit?

If so, I hope he doesn't get put out there and the line steps aside like what happened to Paul Crewe (twice) (Burt Reynolds/Adam Sandler) in the Longest Yard.

15 minutes ago, The Lame Duck said:

5-6th

22 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Chargers probably want a second or 3rd. A borderline top 10 rb that will refuse to pay unless he’s overpaid isn’t very valuable. If I’m the chargers I trade him for peanuts and move on. Draft is absolutely loaded at rb next year too

New report out---Chargers want a First. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that a Melvin Gordon trade "just does not sound like it's going to actually happen."

The Chargers are reportedly looking for a 2020 first-round pick, which would be a ton for a team to give up just for the rights to pay Gordon a market value contract. With the Chargers also unwilling to negotiate with Gordon in-season, it appears that Gordon is left with two options. He can either sit out until Week 10 and lose $330,000 each week, or he can show up and play under his current contract. Gordon is expected to miss Week 1 and has threatened to sit out longer, but it's anyone's guess on if he'll continue to sit out. In the meantime, Austin Ekeler will be an RB2/3 in fantasy with Justin Jackson rotating in.

11 minutes ago, Newtown said:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that a Melvin Gordon trade "just does not sound like it's going to actually happen."

The Chargers are reportedly looking for a 2020 first-round pick, which would be a ton for a team to give up just for the rights to pay Gordon a market value contract. With the Chargers also unwilling to negotiate with Gordon in-season, it appears that Gordon is left with two options. He can either sit out until Week 10 and lose $330,000 each week, or he can show up and play under his current contract. Gordon is expected to miss Week 1 and has threatened to sit out longer, but it's anyone's guess on if he'll continue to sit out. In the meantime, Austin Ekeler will be an RB2/3 in fantasy with Justin Jackson rotating in.

That is code of I can get nearly 2.66 times what I am paid now. 

Screw the chargers.  They’ve done very little to address the Oline while he’s been there and obviously don’t give a damn about him.  Sit out Melvin and take your talents elsewhere.  Hell even the XFL is better than being a charger. Badger family has got your back

• Like 1

Wish he'd just crawl back to ownership and beg for the $10M contract he turned down and end this nonsense. There's zero chance of him and his idiot agent swallowing their pride and playing for the original deal, especially when Gio Bernard signed for $5M/per today. And no one's dumb enough to trade a first-round pick for him if they have to turn around and give him a big contract.

Hopefully Rapoport's wrong on this, but him and Schefter are usually the gospel with this stuff. 

Lets see how it plays out. Chargers have an easy 1st quarter of the season except for a tough matchup against the Texans. They should beat the Colts, Lions and Dolphins. Chargers have already said they won't negotiate until years end. I don't think poor RB play will help Gordon but if Rivers starts to struggle, maybe the front office buckles. I don't think 13 million with a huge chunk guaranteed is going to happen. However if Gordon can rest his body for 10 weeks and if Bell plays lights out for the Jets after sitting a year, Gordon may make his fortune on the open market in 2020. In the meantime, plenty of folks that will run between the tackles for a chance at 5 mil.

Gordon can't fold his hand now, otherwise he just wasted everyone's time. Wont sit well with other owners. Think he's out until week 10. Plays a little in week 10 and then Chiefs come to town in week 11 where he'll be handed a full workload.

His body. He's gotta do what he thinks is in the best interest for him and his family. He years his achilles and the chargers would Chuck him out the way like a side chick. 

he is going to play a game of chicken, he is betting that Eckler and Jackson won't be able to cut it this year and LAC maybe losses week 1 and week 2.  then he'll sign that 10mil deal will magically show up again but maybe with a little more guarantees in it.  ultimately that is all the matters, not the annual money of total worth of the contract, everyone knows the dollar figure isn't worth the paper the contract is printed on anyways.  the 2 sides should just come to an agreement on guaranteed money and move forward

32 minutes ago, Panthor said:

he is going to play a game of chicken, he is betting that Eckler and Jackson won't be able to cut it this year and LAC maybe losses week 1 and week 2.  then he'll sign that 10mil deal will magically show up again but maybe with a little more guarantees in it.  ultimately that is all the matters, not the annual money of total worth of the contract, everyone knows the dollar figure isn't worth the paper the contract is printed on anyways.  the 2 sides should just come to an agreement on guaranteed money and move forward

Honestly, this is the only way I can see Melvin getting back on the field early this year.  But that means losing to the Colts this week and the Lions next week.

I don't like these odds.

Dont forget about old man rivers, hes got kids to feed. About twenty of em.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ColoWrex said:

They want a 1st and 5th for him, but aren’t willing to just pay the man to keep him instead? Arrogance and bravado makes for a crap team.

would you guys trade for him as buy low, and what would you guys prefer in return for equal value for gordon? looks like he's a good chip to have week 10 going forward and anything before 10 is a bonus.

Well Zeke got his deal.  Chargers should just let Melvin go if they aren’t going to pay him because Gordon has always been a class act to the organization.  I’m not sure why anyone would want to be a Charger after how they are treating him.  What a terrible franchise 

• Like 2

Zeke signs mega deal and is slated to be active for Game 1.

Melvin Gordon passes up on a lucrative contract and will lose 330K per game. Melvin Gordon right now..

spacer.png