Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Do we even know the years or guaranteed amount that LAC offered? I think that’s as much an assumption on everyone else’s part as what I’m assuming. 

They reportedly offered a bump in his 2019 salary with no extension.   

Edited by Impreza178

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, m_cox22 said:

You’re getting too far away from my original point. All I said was, he didn’t finish the end of the year very well and I gave stats from weeks 13 on to prove that. Whatever the circumstances I don’t think the chargers or the rest of the league have a very good taste in their mouth when it comes to his durability. It would do him good to come back and prove otherwise.

I know he can ball out, he’s been a hell of a player in real life and fantasy, not disagreeing with you at all on that.

Well, using the last 4 games to try to say he isn't very good rather than using his last couple years as what he can do isn't very reflective of what type of player he is.  Especially when he likely came back a little early from his injury.  Cherry picking stats, leaving out 3 TDs is pretty significant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if we think about teams that have a RB need but also have the cap space available plus willing to give a high draft pick up for Gordon... who does that leave us with?  

According to this site, these are the teams with highest cap space available: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Colts - $52.5 million
Dolphins - $35.6m
Browns - $32.79m
Texans - $32.55m
Bills - $28.59m
Titans - $28.0m
Cowboys - $22.8m
Eagles - $21.6m
49ers - $21.47m
Bears - $19.9m

 

The only one I'm seeing out of this list potentially are the Dolphins... they just acquired picks for Tunsil that they could turn around and pass to the Chargers and have the cap space. They have a lot of needs and have already basically tanked the season.  I assume Gordon doesn't have a "no trade clause" in his current rookie deal so he couldn't refuse going there?  

I don't see any trade partners really for Gordon unless I'm missing something? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

They reportedly offered a bump in his 2019 salary with no extension.   

Isn’t that just free money then? He’s not going to cash in this year and under the CBA, he hasn’t earned the right to become a free agent so it only reflects poorly on him. LA didn’t have to offer him a raise on his rookie contract. Until Leveon Bell came along, there was no precedent for this at all. The problem is the players made a bad deal in the CBA and need to live with it until they can get a better deal. Otherwise gain some solidarity and go on strike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Isn’t that just free money then? He’s not going to cash in this year and under the CBA, he hasn’t earned the right to become a free agent so it only reflects poorly on him. LA didn’t have to offer him a raise on his rookie contract. Until Leveon Bell came along, there was no precedent for this at all. The problem is the players made a bad deal in the CBA and need to live with it until they can get a better deal. Otherwise gain some solidarity and go on strike. 

 

Certainly a valid perspective.    Players seem to think that Bell made a good move- so that precedent is being tested.    Worked immediately for Zeke.   TBD on Gordon.

Edited by Impreza178

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SGagne said:

So if we think about teams that have a RB need but also have the cap space available plus willing to give a high draft pick up for Gordon... who does that leave us with?  

According to this site, these are the teams with highest cap space available: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Colts - $52.5 million
Dolphins - $35.6m
Browns - $32.79m
Texans - $32.55m
Bills - $28.59m
Titans - $28.0m
Cowboys - $22.8m
Eagles - $21.6m
49ers - $21.47m
Bears - $19.9m

 

The only one I'm seeing out of this list potentially are the Dolphins... they just acquired picks for Tunsil that they could turn around and pass to the Chargers and have the cap space. They have a lot of needs and have already basically tanked the season.  I assume Gordon doesn't have a "no trade clause" in his current rookie deal so he couldn't refuse going there?  

I don't see any trade partners really for Gordon unless I'm missing something? 

 

It's clear at this point Gordon will go where the money is. If he refuses a trade that gets him paid then he is killing his own reputation and it doesn't even make sense.

I wouldn't say the Texans are out as they are in win now mode and have Watson under his rookie deal still but I don't think they want to give up any draft capital.

Eagles have made an offer. They could be players later in the season too.

I think that's it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

 

Certainly a valid perspective.    Players seem to think that Bell made a good move- so that precedent is being tested.    Worked immediately for Zeke.   TBD on Gordon.

Dallas fancies itself a SB contender and probably shouldn't yet paid Zeke based on that fancy.  

Chargers should realize they actually are a SB contender and should have paid MG3 based on the reality that Rivers is under contract now but is getting up in age.  And the other pieces for a Lombardi (good defense, deep position players, etc) are in place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tschwicht said:

 

It's clear at this point Gordon will go where the money is. If he refuses a trade that gets him paid then he is killing his own reputation and it doesn't even make sense.

I wouldn't say the Texans are out as they are in win now mode and have Watson under his rookie deal still but I don't think they want to give up any draft capital.

Eagles have made an offer. They could be players later in the season too.

I think that's it. 

Didn't they just give up some picks to get Tunsil?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

 

Certainly a valid perspective.    Players seem to think that Bell made a good move- so that precedent is being tested.    Worked immediately for Zeke.   TBD on Gordon.

 

I think that's the point though. Gordon is not Bell or Zeke. And even those two situations are markedly different. I guess Zeke is closer to Gordon's situation than Bell considering he still had years on his contract also. 

Bell didn't change the precedent for the league. He changed the precedent for the top running back, maybe top 2-3. It won't be a domino effect and I honestly believe any RB outside of Zeke or if he keeps it up Barkley tries to pull this they are going to be in Gordon's situation.

If anything, I'd be more inclined to think Gordon will be setting a precedent here. The precedent being teams aren't going to cave unless you're a seemingly generational talent that has proven you can stay on the field and lead the league. A cautionary tale for future RBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

Didn't they just give up some picks to get Tunsil?

 

Yes. Two firsts and a second. They aren't going to mortgage away any more of their future. I really doubt they make a move involving picks but maybe they find a player deal that works at some point instead.

 

Miami has said first and second round picks though. And the cap space. So would seemingly be the best financial/asset fit for Gordon. But I don't think anyone wants him at what it is going to cost. 

Edited by tschwicht

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SGagne said:

So if we think about teams that have a RB need but also have the cap space available plus willing to give a high draft pick up for Gordon... who does that leave us with?  

According to this site, these are the teams with highest cap space available: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Colts - $52.5 million
Dolphins - $35.6m
Browns - $32.79m
Texans - $32.55m
Bills - $28.59m
Titans - $28.0m
Cowboys - $22.8m
Eagles - $21.6m
49ers - $21.47m
Bears - $19.9m

 

The only one I'm seeing out of this list potentially are the Dolphins... they just acquired picks for Tunsil that they could turn around and pass to the Chargers and have the cap space. They have a lot of needs and have already basically tanked the season.  I assume Gordon doesn't have a "no trade clause" in his current rookie deal so he couldn't refuse going there?  

I don't see any trade partners really for Gordon unless I'm missing something? 


Oh these teams, I'd say the Dolphins, Texans, Bills, Eagles, and 49ers could be interested in Gordon. But right now there probably isn't a team out there that's willing to give up a 1st and a 5th round pick knowing they also need to sign Gordon for something close to his demand. Philly reported offered Howard and a pick exchange, as well as asked for some money in return. So that's likely what most of these teams would offer.

I'm still thinking the most likely scenario is that he returns week 9 to play for the Chargers before becoming a free agent next year, but really depends on how teams are performing and how things could change over the next few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SGagne said:

So if we think about teams that have a RB need but also have the cap space available plus willing to give a high draft pick up for Gordon... who does that leave us with?  

According to this site, these are the teams with highest cap space available: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Colts - $52.5 million
Dolphins - $35.6m
Browns - $32.79m
Texans - $32.55m
Bills - $28.59m
Titans - $28.0m
Cowboys - $22.8m
Eagles - $21.6m
49ers - $21.47m
Bears - $19.9m

 

The only one I'm seeing out of this list potentially are the Dolphins... they just acquired picks for Tunsil that they could turn around and pass to the Chargers and have the cap space. They have a lot of needs and have already basically tanked the season.  I assume Gordon doesn't have a "no trade clause" in his current rookie deal so he couldn't refuse going there?  

I don't see any trade partners really for Gordon unless I'm missing something? 

I think Jacksonville should be added. Just missed on top cap space teams. LF has injury history, they are committed to the run game, great defense and are striking distance of a Super Bowl run. 

Edited by Storenut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DiddleThatKitty said:

Dolphins new QB next season sure could use Melvin 

 

Trading for Melvin would decrease their chances of obtaining that new QB. That's why they won't do it. That's far more important than paying Melvin a boatload of cash, while also jeopardizing their draft stock, just so they can have a good player in the most interchangeable position in football for a couple of seasons - one of which they are intentionally trying to crater. 

 

Edited by Rotero
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Rotero said:

 

Trading for Melvin would decrease their chances of obtaining that new QB. That's why they won't do it. That's far more important than paying Melvin a boatload of cash, while also jeopardizing their draft stock, just so they can have a good player in the most interchangeable position in football for a couple of seasons - one of which they are intentionally trying to crater. 

 

 

 

Ask bucs how easily RBs come around. They have been drafting and searching for RBs since w. Dunn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melvin has been quiet on social media the last few days. Could something be brewing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MIKEnSD said:

Melvin has been quiet on social media the last few days. Could something be brewing?

 

Yeah he's probably thinking "my agent is a complete moron and social media isn't helping"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

everything i have read on this situation seems to end bad...he has to report by week 10 otherwise he wont be a free agent next year but if he does report the charges can franchise him and own him for another 2 years. If he doesnt show at all he is stuck with that last year on his contract still..i mean if he reports week 10 could he just report for a day and then not show up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Power-O said:

everything i have read on this situation seems to end bad...he has to report by week 10 otherwise he wont be a free agent next year but if he does report the charges can franchise him and own him for another 2 years. If he doesnt show at all he is stuck with that last year on his contract still..i mean if he reports week 10 could he just report for a day and then not show up? 

The franchise tag price is likely in the ballpark of $12M. So essentially to franchise him they'd have to pay close to the price he was looking for anyway.

Edited by Idoolittle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Power-O said:

everything i have read on this situation seems to end bad...he has to report by week 10 otherwise he wont be a free agent next year but if he does report the charges can franchise him and own him for another 2 years. If he doesnt show at all he is stuck with that last year on his contract still..i mean if he reports week 10 could he just report for a day and then not show up? 

 

I believe if he gets franchised in that scenario but doesnt sign he would he in the same situation as lev bell.  So he would have to sit out a year and not sign the franchise tag contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is that he'll end up in Tampa Bay.  I think that's the most logical fit left.

Edited by sjm76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

My guess is that he'll end up in Tampa Bay.  I think that's the most logical fit left.

 

Great fit but they literally have no cap space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MOPAR_man said:

After watching 1st half and Aaron Jones doing squat, the packers should be inquiring. 

It should be noted that Jones is going up against the Bears defense, though.  Arguably the best run defense in the league.

Edited by sjm76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...