Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

Hope he can swing a trade before then. Would be good for his value to get on a better team

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, marlin said:

Hope he can swing a trade before then. Would be good for his value to get on a better team

The Chargers were 12-4 last season.  Just because you hate them doesn’t mean they are a bad team... It’s one of the better situations for a RB in the NFL.

Likely the only way he’s getting traded is if a contender loses their starting RB to injury and gets desperate. Even then it would have to be the right situation, because that team would not only have to give up something for the trade, but then sign him to a big money deal.

You should accept the fact that he will, in all likelihood, not play for another team until next year.

• Like 1

Schefter is now reporting something completely different. Saying he could hold out til late November

8 minutes ago, USWAY said:

Schefter is now reporting something completely different. Saying he could hold out til late November

Saw that

so who do we trust Schefter or Rapp?

Whoever is telling him to suit up for the Chargers again is giving him bad advice.  They don't value him at all and don't want him to be part of the team.  Thats fine.  Business decision on their part, but make the business decision on your part and get out of that awful situation.

Just now, wendellrott said:

I know he's losing ALOT of money

Who cares?  In the long run, 1 year means nothing.   Not worth risking injury for only $5M.   He should go to a better situation that will show his talents more beyond that awful offensive playbook and deemphasized offensive line.

• Like 1

Well if he returns between Weeks 6 - 8 and isn't going to play until after their bye week 12, he will be slotted into right the Fake Playoffs.

I hope the NFL players hold out next CBA because they are being totally screwed financially.  Especially positions with short shelf life like RB.   If they produce right away like RBs do, they should get paid like it week and week out, never guaranteed the next pay day.  Chargers got him on the cheap for several years and now trying to lowball him?  Get outta here.  He should rather make less money in a better situation than get a slap in the face like that.

9 minutes ago, Rs79 said:

Saw that

so who do we trust Schefter or Rapp?

Rapoport would have had to hear something for him to report the return between week 6-8. That being said, that doesn't mean that Gordon will definitely report between that time frame. My guess is that's just Gordon's target timeline (based on a reputable source), but he could easily change his mind when it gets closer to that time. I think Schefter was just pumping the brakes here a bit.

If he were my son, I'd pull an Archie Manning and tell them that he will never ever suit up for the Chargers.

The only leverage that Gordon has right now is if Ekler and JJ look horrible or get injured.

Holding out till week 8 will probably not end well.

MG is probably going to be an example for how to not do a holdout. I think he is screwing his own career over at this point, doubt Chargers let him go and really doubt Chargers pay him. And depending on how it turns out for LeVeon, sitting out a year may be a negative too so his future value maybe worse than this year. 

24 minutes ago, marlin said:

If he were my son, I'd pull an Archie Manning and tell them that he will never ever suit up for the Chargers.

That could essentially mean you're telling him to retire from football... at age 26... with little cash in the bank (relative to his skillset)... unless he's traded/released...

Good advice.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

I don’t understand why he would play until week 13 if he’s reporting week 6-8.

Can someone explain that to me?

As Taylor Swift says

now we got Bad Blood

12 minutes ago, wendellrott said:

As Taylor Swift says

now we got Bad Blood

Why wouldn’t he just play the following week if he’s in shape and obviously has a good grasp of the playbook?

2 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

Why wouldn’t he just play the following week if he’s in shape and obviously has a good grasp of the playbook?

he might

but then again he may hold out till week 10 which would most likely see him not playing till week 13

I don't see him sitting out till week 13. When he comes back, he'll be ready to play. It won't take him long to learn the playbook. How much he plays is up to the coaching staff, but I can't see them sitting him a couple weeks to get him "caught up to speed".

Edited by Idoolittle

7 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:

I don't see him sitting out till week 13. When he comes back, he'll be ready to play. It won't take him long to learn the playbook. How much he plays is up to the coaching staff, but I can see them sitting him a couple weeks to get him "caught up to speed".

Why would they sit him if he’s back and in shape...look at Zeke, he was back 3-4 days ago and is likely playing a full compliment of snaps. If the chargers want to win and he’s back and in shape, I have to assume he’ll play shortly after reporting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrastersCreep said:
9 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:

I don't see him sitting out till week 13. When he comes back, he'll be ready to play. It won't take him long to learn the playbook. How much he plays is up to the coaching staff, but I can't see them sitting him a couple weeks to get him "caught up to speed".

Why would they sit him if he’s back and in shape...look at Zeke, he was back 3-4 days ago and is likely playing a full compliment of snaps. If the chargers want to win and he’s back and in shape, I have to assume he’ll play shortly after reporting.

Whoops, made a typo. Fixed.

1 hour ago, marlin said:

Whoever is telling him to suit up for the Chargers again is giving him bad advice.  They don't value him at all and don't want him to be part of the team.  Thats fine.  Business decision on their part, but make the business decision on your part and get out of that awful situation.

Seems that he should have played the 1 year for 10M and negotiated that the Chargers do not hit him with the tag next season.  Then get some insurance to protect against a career ending injury during 2019.  Instead he tried to play hardball with no leverage.  Business decisions have to be influenced by markets/demand.

Edited by ragrag