Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

He'll probably come along slowly but it wouldn't surprise me to see him ball out big time on October 13th's Sunday Night Football.

For us that drafted him later, 4th, 5th rnd on, how we liking his keep value for next year?  Players that want to get paid don't always care where they land.  See Bell, Le'Veon

Just now, KennyWoo said:

He'll probably come along slowly but it wouldn't surprise me to see him ball out big time on October 13th's Sunday Night Football.

this arrival tmrw is perfect timing ... by all accounts he's in fine enough shape - spent much less time away from live ammo than L'ev, and Bell took on massive workload from jump - game shape should be eazy peeeezy. 

this week is a get well for the Bolts ... yeahyeah, any given Sunday ... blahblah - but the Dolphins are begging to lose.  

so, they even up the record at 2-2, and welcome MGIII back to the starting lineup just in time for their first divisional game on 10/6 vs Denver - i would expect at least 60% workload in that one - chit's about to get reallllll ...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Hard to really judge schedules 3 weeks in TBH

well TBH, good point. 🤣

MG3 playing next weekend, will instantly return value against a Denver Defense that is a shell of itself and being gashed on the ground. This Makes us all who took a leap of faith in the earlier rounds, look smart. Thank you! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phillyfan461 said:

For us that drafted him later, 4th, 5th rnd on, how we liking his keep value for next year?  Players that want to get paid don't always care where they land.  See Bell, Le'Veon

We're loving it. To be honest most of us drafted him in the 4th round. And probably before news broke that the Chargers were halting all extension talks. So in

my mind and I'm sure a bunch of others we prolly thought, at most he would miss a couple games 3-4 max, if it even came to that. He starting sliding a lot in

drafts after that extension talks broke, so for those who got him in the 5th & 6th round , that's an absolute steal. I'm just happy he's back period, now I can

possibly maybe start him next week.

Edited by RunCMC
  • Like 1

Ecstatic to have him back.  5th round pick with first round upside.  However, with the way he held out do you see the potential that this is a 50/50 split with ekeler going forward and the upside is curbed.  I don’t see it but would be lying if I felt expectations shouldn’t be tempered.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the article on espn said that the chargers will seek a two week roster exemption for him and they will try to collect about 2.5 million in fines he’s accrued over the time he’s been holding out. Considering he’s only making a little over 5 million for this season I think this could get ugly unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, jjbooda said:

Ecstatic to have him back.  5th round pick with first round upside.  However, with the way he held out do you see the potential that this is a 50/50 split with ekeler going forward and the upside is curbed.  I don’t see it but would be lying if I felt expectations shouldn’t be tempered.

No chance that happens. It will go back to the normal splits like last year, maybe with a few more touches here and there for Ek . Moving forward it will something like 70/30 , 80/20 , 75/25 splits , depending on game flow . 

4 minutes ago, Boozted said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the article on espn said that the chargers will seek a two week roster exemption for him and they will try to collect about 2.5 million in fines he’s accrued over the time he’s been holding out. Considering he’s only making a little over 5 million for this season I think this could get ugly unfortunately.

They knew the fines would be assessed. They will negotiate a number that keeps him in the building.  He came back, no new contract and wants to play.  This is best for the team to win.  No one wanta this to get ugly.

As for the roster exemption they still need to pay him and that would subject to negotiation.  

While there are hurdles, this will more than likely work out.  The chargers get there guy back at a reduced cost for this year and Gordon gets to prove he is worth what he is seeking.

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Boozted said:

4 minutes ago, jjbooda said:

They knew the fines would be assessed. They will negotiate a number that keeps him in the building.  He came back, no new contract and wants to play.  This is best for the team to win.  No one wanta this to get ugly.

As for the roster exemption they still need to pay him and that would subject to negotiation.  

While there are hurdles, this will more than likely work out.  The chargers get there guy back at a reduced cost for this year and Gordon gets to prove he is worth what he is seeking.

Here is a bigger piece of the article , paints a better picture. Things will work out ... I'm sure he consulted a few people and his agents before announcing he

would be reporting . He didn't just walk into the building and say Hey guys I'm back ! 

The Chargers (1-2) will likely apply for a two-week roster exemption, giving the team time to evaluate when the workhorse running back is in shape and ready to play.

"I don't think you just walk in camp and just play right away without going through any practice," Lynn told reporters Wednesday. "You can run and do all the drills you want, but it's hard to simulate real football."

Gordon and his representation also have to resolve how they will handle the fines that have piled up during his absence.

According to the league's collective bargaining agreement, Gordon can be fined up to $30,000 per day and nearly $330,000 per game for preseason and regular-season games that he's missed -- a total that could reach $2.5 million.

According to a source, the Chargers will seek to collect that money.

Edited by RunCMC
  • Like 1

Those fines are why this was a ridiculous hold out by MG. Someone really gave him bad advice. I think a trade is definitely possible here. Speciallly if the Chargers insist on the fine. For some reason this situation seems far from resolved. I feel the threat of fines combined with a complete lack of trade interest, is what is bringing MG back. 

Edited by screaming_vultures

What did holding out even accomplish? It just showed hes replaceable through ekeler.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jjbooda said:

Don’t get me wrong I’ve got him in both my leagues so I hope it works out. I’m sure you’re probably right and he did consult with his people beforehand but if those were the same people that told him it was ok to holdout then we have a problem. 

This whole time the problem has been money. Add to that the fact that they want to reduce his salary by less than half(5.6 million in base salary minus 2.5 million in fines and roughly 1 million in game checks he’s lost already) and I see potential for some hurt feelings. And judging by the way the Chargers have already played hardball with him it’s gonna be their way or the highway.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

What did holding out even accomplish? It just showed hes replaceable through ekeler.

With Ekeler= 1-2

With Gordon= 3-0

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SyNdicateZ said:

With Ekeler= 1-2

With Gordon= 3-0

I didnt know you were a time wizard. 

I think those losses might be a coaching thing.