Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

11 hours ago, akooreman180 said:

Just wondering lol. Saw tons of people in this forum saying that when he came back he was going to split touches with Ekeler. I’m not a bitter Ekeler owner or something, just wanted to know everyone’s thoughts on it. Hopefully he’s an elite RB1. 

Nobody knows.  This and the Ekeler threads are going to turn into the McCoy / Damien Williams ones, where there's going to be wild speculation and everyone arguing for "their guy" and why it should be it a timeshare, or why Gordon goes straight to being a bellcow.

Ultimately, nobody's gonna know anything unless the coach outright says that Gordon is going back to his old role (which is very doubtful he will do...why would he say that?) or whatever.  Even then, coaches have been known to be dishonest about that, to make it more difficult for opponents to plan.

We're going to have to see what happens on the field and how they're used, and try to come to conclusions that way.

Until that happens, it's all speculation and not actionable information.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rs79 said:

So is Gordon a locked and loaded RB1 again after he reports?  Assume a game or two of being eased in, RB1 ROS?

what kind of RBs would u say he is close to now?

I would tend to think football coaches want to win games, and play who gives them the best chance to win.

There might be some situations were Eckler is the play, but Gordon is a top 7 RB in this league...I don't think FF owners will be disappointed after he gets used to being out there, which I would think is 2 games...

3 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Ekeler's fumbles caused those 2 losses

Fumbles? Plural?? He’s only credited for 1 fumble against the lions...

16 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Nobody knows.  This and the Ekeler threads are going to turn into the McCoy / Damien Williams ones, where there's going to be wild speculation and everyone arguing for "their guy" and why it should be it a timeshare, or why Gordon goes straight to being a bellcow.

Ultimately, nobody's gonna know anything unless the coach outright says that Gordon is going back to his old role (which is very doubtful he will do...why would he say that?) or whatever.  Even then, coaches have been known to be dishonest about that, to make it more difficult for opponents to plan.

We're going to have to see what happens on the field and how they're used, and try to come to conclusions that way.

Until that happens, it's all speculation and not actionable information.

If I were betting on most likely scenario when MGIII gets up to speed, it would be this - Ekeler essentially retains a "James White" type role for a team that also features a superior "Sony Michel" and Keenan Allen with a worse defense.

Some frustrating weeks ahead for all involved likely, as Ekeler will be bound to vulture some of your guys TDs, MGIII will be used for 25-30 carries some weeks with a lead, and some weeks we're both pissed at Allen for going HAM.

But overall, this is a good offense and I think there's room at the table for everyone if we're smart about it. 

Edited by JE7HorseGod

I could see eckler having a sproles type role in this offense. I have both and I feel like Melvin will be ran into the dirt in about 4 weeks. 

IMO, Gordon is an RB3 his first week back unless we hear something like "he's taking all the first team reps in practice" or something like that.  I would play a Josh Jacobs or Kerryon Johnson over him, even though you would never do that when Melvin was in his old role.  We don't know how much he'll play that first week.

Depending on what we see in that first game, he could be anywhere from an RB1 to a low end RB2 for the next game.

If he's getting 70% of the work right away, then it's a done deal.  He's an RB1.

If he looks good but is in a timeshare, it gets a little dicey because we won't know if that's how it's going to be, or if they're working him back to his old role.  In that case, he probably has to be treated as a timeshare back for week 2, with upside if he gets installed as the lead RB.

Two weeks in, we should have our answer on his role.

That's how I see it playing out.

Edited by Brownsfan74

6 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

Lynn acted the gotdamn fool yestetday, what with all his "blahblah game shape blahblah touches blahblahblah" friggin' company man, towing the Spanos dirt duct line ... numb nutz. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

ya know, i thought about this, as well ... but let's be realistic -

Hoodie/#12 in tier one, until further notice.  they are showing some holes with the injuries, etc., but ... as i said, until they are dethroned they are #1.

oh, now we have the travelling 'Homie points show and KoolAid ... strong arse #2, if not for the GOATs above them, an easy #1. 

HarBags and Lamar check in at #3 ... i'm no great believer in the kid QB as being anything more than a magnificent magick foosball piece, but HarBags has built a beast around him. 

those top 3 are impenetrable, imo ... gl offing one of them down the road. 

so, that puts the Bolts into the also-ran tier with the likes of Buffalo, Howstin, Indy ... solid squads, but no real threat to the top three. 

Phil's window?  yeah, it's on a submarine right now.  no shot. 

sure, things can change on a dime in this gig, but, let's be real here ... they are not going any further than palookaville. 

📺

I’m not sure if it’s good or bad that I mostly understood this.

• Haha 1

Gordon reporting today with his tail between his legs. That holdout accomplished nothing but give LA more confidence in Ekeler & Jackson. Given the nature of this holdout, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gordon end up missing time, especially in practice, with “injuries”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

didnt zeke report back the same week still played?  i wonder if there is still a chance he suits up

no they reported likely to seek two game roster exemption, meaning his first game will be against Steelers

1 hour ago, the1gq2nvy said:

didnt zeke report back the same week still played?  i wonder if there is still a chance he suits up

I believe players need to report by Wednesday to play that week. So he’s been ruled out for week 4. 

6 minutes ago, akooreman180 said:

I believe players need to report by Wednesday to play that week. So he’s been ruled out for week 4. 

he'll likely be out week 5 as well, reportedly seeking 2 game roster exemption

Edited by dakimbell

Who is seeking the exemption? To me it was clear that the Chargers could use a roster exemption up to 3 weeks. However, some reports suggest that Gordon and his camp are seeking exemption, which doesn't make sense to me. 🥴

1 minute ago, frog34 said:

Who is seeking the exemption? To me it was clear that the Chargers could use a roster exemption up to 3 weeks. However, some reports suggest that Gordon and his camp are seeking exemption, which doesn't make sense to me. 🥴

If it is his camp, it could be to reduce chance of injury. If I recall correctly, the player still gets paid for it so it basically reduces his chance of injury by 3 games while still getting paid for those 3 games.

Coaches comments don't sound like they are about to put him on the exempt list:

Just now, ColoWrex said:

This kills the Ekeler owner mental gymnastics

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sSektor said:

This kills the Ekeler owner mental gymnastics

Was crazy to begin with.

8 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

I would hope so. That's why I drafted Gordon in the 4th and Ekeler in the 9th. I didn't draft him to be a g*d* backup.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

Put your riot gear on and post this in the Ekeler thread , just for shiets and giggles

spacer.png

• Haha 5

"Never say never, but doubt he’ll play this weekend.” - Anthony Lynn on Melvin Gordon potentially playing Sunday vs the Dolphins."

Image result for so you're telling me there's a chance gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1