Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

40 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

If Conner has a serious injury he’s going to the Steelers 

Wow that would be crazy if they make a move with less than 24 hours of the deadline because of a Conner injury.

33 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Melvin to the steelers would be beyond ideal

Mmmmm... they aren't making the playoffs. They aren't going to trade their future for a RB that will want Leveon money.

Not happening.

So much for the trade hype. Now the question is how will the new OC change affect this backfield touch distribution. I think it's fair to assume Lynn wants to get the run game going being a former rb. IMO there are three possible outcomes.

1. Distribution stays about the same and splits pretty evenly.

2. Ekeler gets more looks at the expense of Gordon.

3. They try to purposely feed Gordon and get him going while Ekeler returns to a role similar to last year.

I think it will likely be 2 or 3, maybe we'll get some news soon that will give a hint. I'm thinking it's time to sell Gordon based on a terrible oline, bad playoff schedule, and the risk of option 2 being the answer. What do you guys think?

• Haha 1

I think both Gordon and Ekeler will be fine (especially Ekeler in PPR). Ekeler will be a RB1/2 and Gordon will be a serviceable RB2/Flex.

Chargers won't abandon Gordon. I think they will try and grind whatever is left out of him and keep Ekeler as their main back for next year.

6 hours ago, GoalineD said:

I think both Gordon and Ekeler will be fine (especially Ekeler in PPR). Ekeler will be a RB1/2 and Gordon will be a serviceable RB2/Flex.

Chargers won't abandon Gordon. I think they will try and grind whatever is left out of him and keep Ekeler as their main back for next year.

I’ll be 100% shocked if they come in to training camp with Ekeler as the main back next year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I’ll be 100% shocked if they come in to training camp with Ekeler as the main back next year. 

this ^

Ek is prolly the most lethal complementary RB piece in the leeg, but i still don't buy him as a full time bellcow 🤷‍♂️

IN before "yeah, b-b-b-b-but the first weeks without MGIII he was tearing it up!!!1!1!!!1!"

yesh, he was ... doesn't mean he's cut out for a season long workhorse gig. 

/fin

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

this ^

Ek is prolly the most lethal complementary RB piece in the leeg, but i still don't buy him as a full time bellcow 🤷‍♂️

IN before "yeah, b-b-b-b-but the first weeks without MGIII he was tearing it up!!!1!1!!!1!"

yesh, he was ... doesn't mean he's cut out for a season long workhorse gig. 

/fin

Agreed, he’s an excellent 1B though. I’d love to pair him with a Derrick Henry/Jordan Howard type. Maybe even a guy like Melvin Gordon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lynn was on record as declaring Gordon his guy, and that he'd return to his role from last year.  I guess the question is who is responsible for personnel on a given play?  The RB Coach?  Firing Wizz, in my opinion, means Lynn wants to run the ball much more, but that doesn't necessarily answer the question who will get those added carries.  But if we combine the two actions by Lynn, it leans toward Gordon getting near 20 carries per game moving forward.

That's just the way I'm reading into it, but could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/29/report-shane-steichen-to-take-over-play-calling-for-chargers/amp/

Steichen (QBs Coach) is taking over play-calling duties.  I think that is probably a bump for Ekeler.

"According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Chargers intend to have quarterbacks coach Shane Steichen handle play-calling duties with input from head coach Anthony Lynn moving forward."

Seems like it helps Gordon after he had only 8 carries last game. I think Lynn wants to feed the ball to Gordon and establish the run. He can't be happy with the running game right now.

I expect things picking up for gordon now since the offensive coordinator has been fired. 

Wisenhunt was a pass first coordinator and they want to run the ball so if you have a chance to pick up gordon or buy low for him. Do it 

Edited by TheFantasyFootballGods

last time Phil played the Packers he slung it over 60 times for 500+ yds ...

... suffice to say we won't see that this Sunday. 

2 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Ekeler does a great job doing a little of everything but I don't think they are comfortable with him as a true 3-down workhorse, as much as people want to see that.

Now for next year, a guy lost in all of this is Justin Jackson. This kid has some crazy stats but has been injured this year. In long term keeper/dynasty leagues he's a guy to monitor if someone is traded this offseason.  Again, he's a long term sleeper but be aware he might end up something....

11 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

last time Phil played the Packers he slung it over 60 times for 500+ yds ...

... suffice to say we won't see that this Sunday. 

i hope your being sarcastic...the chargers arent going to be able to run the ball no matter what they try to do...they dont have the line to do it...this team will be slinging it because their season is over if they think MG and a 1 yard cloud of dust is going to save it

Edited by Power-O

1 minute ago, Power-O said:

i hope your being sarcastic...the chargers arent going to be able to run the ball no matter what they try to do...they dont have the line to do it...this team will be slinging it because their season is over if they think MG and a 1 yard cloud of dust is going to save it

INCOMING 25/106/2 MGIII

INCOMING 11/101/1 Ek

Bolts 26 Pack 24

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

INCOMING 25/106/2 MGIII

INCOMING 11/101/1 Ek

Bolts 26 Pack 24

as an ekeler owner id gladly have take it lol

• Haha 1

Starting this cat with zero confidence and season on the line. Who's coming with me?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, edREED said:

Starting this cat with zero confidence and season on the line. Who's coming with me?

TODAY IS OUR DAY LETS GET IT