Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

I play against the MG owner this week and watched the game last night and he looked really impressive and was getting big chunks almost every carry. I'm not sure why they went away from him in the 4th quarter they might have won.

Edited by WVFalcon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WVFalcon said:

I played against the MG owner this week and watched the game last night and he looked really impressive and was getting big chunks almost every carry. I'm not sure why they went away from from in the 4th quarter they might have won.

Agreed.

It's like they thought MG3 cna only run, and we need to pass only. Ridiculously bad play calling and a decision to not have the best player out on the field when it mattered most.

Well as an MG3 owner, I was super impressed. Despite the bad games, you had to know this dude is a stud and on another level from Eckler and most rb's. He's finally in game shape, and ready to roll.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, devaster said:

He might have. Ekeler has already proven to be a capable lead back. Still put up flex numbers on limited touches. Doing what he has been doing the last two seasons behind Gordon.

He certainly would not have, at least how Gordon did it. Ekeler is not standing up defenders, keeping his legs moving, and pushing them back into the end zone. Ekeler gets tackled immediately trying that.

No, Ekeler would have tried to bounce it outside if there was no crease initially and maybe gets in. Probably not.

Ekeler’s a very good player. Can run deep receiver routes with precision and is great in space making guys miss. But he’s a more limited player than Gordon overall and certainly is near the goal line. 

Edited by jsch08

27 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Unpopular take alert, well maybe not in this thread, but the offense is just clunky with Ekeler in there.  It's a clear tell that its a pass, about 85% of the time, and the defense just tees off.  I don't know if the play calling was the worst, or Rivers played the worst QB'd game I've seen in years, because at one point they were averaging like 8 yards per carry and they kept letting Rivers muck it up with sacks and INT.  Rivers legit had 2 sacks and 4 INT at one point when the ground game was absolutely smoking.  (2 called back)

That last drive was unquestionably the worst I've ever seen.  Rivers went 0-7 with an INT.  They only needed about 37 yards with a minute and 3 timeouts, and he was throwing arm punt after arm punt.  It was embarrassing, and Gordon never saw the field once despite being the best player on it the majority of the game.  If anything I think Ekeler's 45% snap rate needs to be reduced significantly to give this offense some form of unpredictability and give Rivers a break with that weak O-line.

Your first point is why Ekeler generally has a higher ypc. When they do decide to run with him, he generally has more space against lighter boxes expecting a pass. I wanted to throw that out to all the Gordon haters who quote his ypc against Ekeler’s ypc. It’s a dumb argument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Unpopular take alert, well maybe not in this thread, but the offense is just clunky with Ekeler in there.  It's a clear tell that its a pass, about 85% of the time, and the defense just tees off. 

Yeah but occasionally Ekeler finds a hole against those light fronts and looks like the second coming of LT. It happens just often enough for some people to think he's a great runner between the tackles that deserves 70% of the carries.

• Like 1

Probably a 2nd tier RB1. After Cook, McCaffrey, with Zeke, Chubb, Kamara, Saquon, Chubb.

Edited by roscobangs

Just now, roscobangs said:

Probably a 2nd tier RB1. After Cook and McCaffrey, with Zeke, Hunt and Jones.

guess ya haven't been up into the Chubb thread lately ...

🤠

There was a at least a couple times where they flanked gordon out wide, and he was wide open, but rivers didn't look his way when under pressure. Rivers should have taken what was given, rather than trying to force the ball further down the field and just lobbing it up like he did multiple times... which led to some of those picks.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

Probably a 2nd tier RB1. After Cook, McCaffrey, with Zeke, Chubb, Kamara, Saquon, Chubb.

oh, and btw ... Cook has been phenomenal, but he is NOT on the same tier as CMC.  no way. 

also, toss the kid Jacobs from the Chuckys up that mix - he may finish strongest of all

• Like 1

Just now, sSektor said:

Where did all the people who said he was average go?

they took their kvetching to the Ekeler thread 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Thank goodness-

MG looked so damn good last night. Flying up to the line and making amazing jump cuts and changing direction on a dime. I did notice earlier in the game they had both Ek and MG on the field at the same time, honestly don't know why it took them this long. Ek is a very good receiver but so is MG, hopefully they can integrate him more in passing game...both the backs on the field will lead to some nice coverage mismatches.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Haha yeah they’re in there wondering why the mean mean Chargers coaches continue to use inefficient Melvin more when Ekeler has a better ypc (in a vastly different role with a vastly different OL against vastly different opponents).

Melvin looked awesome last night. They seemed pretty effective getting him some space with pitches to the right. Get a couple linemen in space and let him play off those blocks. Curious why they didn’t use him on any designed screens to slow down the rush and give that line a bit of a break in pass pro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

Josh Jacobs

20 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Didn’t you hear? Melvin isn’t the same after his knee injury. He has been putting up bad ypc since then.

Where are those people?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bmore86 said:

Haha yeah they’re in there wondering why the mean mean Chargers coaches continue to use inefficient Melvin more when Ekeler has a better ypc (in a vastly different role with a vastly different OL against vastly different opponents).

Melvin looked awesome last night. They seemed pretty effective getting him some space with pitches to the right. Get a couple linemen in space and let him play off those blocks. Curious why they didn’t use him on any designed screens to slow down the rush and give that line a bit of a break in pass pro.

For real.  Would have been nice to have some more of those PPR points ;)

5 minutes ago, jsch08 said:

Didn’t you hear? Melvin isn’t the same after his knee injury. He has been putting up bad ypc since then.

Where are those people?

Ah right the knee injury that is less impactful longterm than an ACL tear. Forgot there were doctors on this forum.

38 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Back to the Ekeler thread so they can all mourn together and pump each other up about how he’s a feature back and Gordon is a scrub. 

• Haha 1

Impressive running. Turned a lot of potentially negative yard runs into positive runs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He looked great last night, probably the only bright spot in that offense. If only Rivers wasn't constantly overthrowing his recievers into coverage, MG would have had more snaps and maybe an extra TD.

Only thing that worries me was that helmet-to-helmet hit on their second-to-last drive, after that he was on the sidelines with his helmet off and I dont think he went back into the game. Anyone have any clarification on that?

22 minutes ago, VaderTime said:

He looked great last night, probably the only bright spot in that offense. If only Rivers wasn't constantly overthrowing his recievers into coverage, MG would have had more snaps and maybe an extra TD.

Only thing that worries me was that helmet-to-helmet hit on their second-to-last drive, after that he was on the sidelines with his helmet off and I dont think he went back into the game. Anyone have any clarification on that?

He went back in. Split out wide to the left on the Ekeler td reception. 

• Thanks 1

Very good to see that the Chargers abandoned the 1st half gameplan of running for 5ypc in favor of throwing 40 yard ints.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sSektor said:

Very good to see that the Chargers abandoned the 1st half gameplan of running for 5ypc in favor of throwing 40 yard ints.

Didn't the last OC just get fired for this dumba** playcalling? 52 passes vs 19 runs? In a close game?

Lynn better fire himself next.

giphy.gif

Edited by Newtown
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Newtown said:

Didn't the last OC just get fired for this dumba** playcalling? 52 passes vs 19 runs? In a close game?

Lynn better fire himself next.

giphy.gif

Agreed. It was idiotic to abandon the run against KC. It was a close game and they were running well. Had they been getting stuffed, I could understand, but they weren't. No, let's throw it so Rivers can get picked off four times. That's "brilliance" at work right there!