Sign in to follow this  
countseth

J.T. Realmuto 2019 Outlook

My man is king of the slow roller to 1B. Swear he does this every other AB I’ve seen. 

Said it in in winter and saying it again....this was an AWFUL trade for phils

Suddenly #1 on ESPN's player rater at the position.  I think everyone was expecting more across the board given the friendlier home park and lineup, and there have been some pop-up catcher options that have been serviceable with the help of the the happy fun ball, but if you invested a 5th-ish round pick in Realmuto at the draft table, you've basically gotten your money's worth so far considering the slop some of your leaguemates are rolling out there in the C slot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonycpsu said:

Suddenly #1 on ESPN's player rater at the position.  I think everyone was expecting more across the board given the friendlier home park and lineup, and there have been some pop-up catcher options that have been serviceable with the help of the the happy fun ball, but if you invested a 5th-ish round pick in Realmuto at the draft table, you've basically gotten your money's worth so far considering the slop some of your leaguemates are rolling out there in the C slot.

Been on Yahoo's MVP list for most of the year too if I'm correct and yeah, that's why I spent up on him. The replacement value is pretty massive in Realmuto's favor when others are starting the likes of Buster Posey.

Realmuto is doing his best to make us forget about his "slow start" since the All-Star break.  Another big game today...

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 9:18 PM, tonycpsu said:

Yeah I was one of those who reached assuming a massive season in the middle of that lineup. Last 7 or 8 games have really shot his overall ranking up. 90-290-25-90 suddenly seems back on the table.

• Like 1

Top ranked C in Yahoo 5x5. Thankfully he's started hitting the ball lol. 

• Like 1

He's probably only behind Grandal in points leagues. The best thing about Realmuto is that he accrues more at bats than any other catcher.

It's such a pleasure checking your team's stats for the night and seeing a juicy "2" under the SB column from your catcher. 

He's not only the back to being fantasy's most valuable catcher, but he's starting to lap the field

image.png.864764609a7f29cb89e080aea622aa4e.png

So far he's the #1 $ value earner at catcher this season in standard 5x5 (12 team leagues). The difference in dollars between Realmuto and the #2 ranked Yasmani Grandal is a whopping $8.3.

To put that in perspective, that's the same difference betwen #2 Ranked Yasmani Grandal and James McCann (Ranked 8th)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

He's honestly still probably underperforming as a whole for the season, despite being #1 catcher. Has a 98 WRC+, lowest since 2015, and his .271 average is also lowest since 2015 despite playing in a more hitter friendly park.  Should hit for better than his season so far.  I think the most useful part of his game (as stated before) is him playing every day and being in a good lineup.  His RBI/Runs have rank significantly higher than  those below him. He's been solid, but benefitted most by staying healthy and accumulation. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

He's honestly still probably underperforming as a whole for the season, despite being #1 catcher. Has a 98 WRC+, lowest since 2015.  Should hit for better than his season so far.  I think the most useful part of his game (as stated before) is him playing every day and being in a good lineup.  His RBI/Runs have rank significantly higher than  those below him. He's been solid, but benefitted most by staying healthy and accumulation. 

He definitely is still.  It's nice to see the SBs coming back this season, especially of late, but he still has his lowest AVG and OBP in his last 4 seasons.  Highest K-rate by far of his whole career, while the SLG and OPS are no better than his Miami days.  Most expected better in both of those areas, I'm sure, but most of his production is basically gotten from pure volume.  He plays so much that as long as he hits decent, he's going to accumulate stats.

Now, with that said, it's still a positive as well like you said.  There's still something to do be said about having a catcher that plays more than anybody else, both because their manager puts them in the lineup more often and also the fact that he basically never gets hurt.  It's one reason why I moved on from Sanchez to Realmuto.  Sure, he might not wow as often as some, but he's going to be there to use a lot.  Also, like what's already been stated, he can do even better, which is somewhat scary given how much he's performed over other catchers regardless of whether it's volume aided or not.  Obviously he hasn't been bad either, so I'll just keep enjoying the reliability.