Boudewijn

Rams/Saints - NFC Championship

We have 8 pages on the elderly Pats and the young Chiefs and nobody's interested in the 2 teams who are 13-3?

Last November, the Saints beat the Rams 45-35, and the Saints are the slight favorites, both to win the game and the Superbowl.

In fact, in August these were the predictions for the Superbowl:

1) New England Patriots 6-1 
2) Los Angeles Rams 10-1 
7) New Orleans Saints 14-1 
12) Kansas City Chiefs 20-1 

Game on, Sunday @ 3:05 ET!

Die-hard Saints fan here, but I like the Rams in this one. 

Die-hard Saints fan as well...and I still haven't decided on a pick for this game yet.

I saw a post by Silva on twitter that stated in repeat playoff match-ups from reg season, 62% of time the team that won the first match wins the rematch.

These teams are a bit different than that first match:

Saints down Rankins but Apple playing way better ball and O-line is much more banged up but still intact-

Rams down Kupp but found another run-game weapon in CJ, plus Talib is back and I guess will shadow Thomas-

This game (imo) will rest on whether Goff can 'overcome' road woes and not make mistakes...Saints D is playing at a very high level, and much better than when they met in wk9...Rankins will sting but moreso about his pocket collapsing pass rush skills than his run D. Saints can still shut-down the run effectively and funneling it to the pass game and Goff. It sounds awkward to say, but Kamara is the X factor here. Payton needs to feature him early, esp as a receiver and some other WR (hopefully Ginn) needs to step it up and make plays downfield. It gonna be a good chess match, for sure! 

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 2

I pick the Saints. I think their offense is explosive with veteran/proven big game QB. I believe Goff struggles a bit. I hope both games are real nailbiters. 

Home teams are 10-0 in the last 5 years of the AFC and NFC championship games.

NFL Net just finished w/Wk 9 Saints/Rams replay - epic game. Both QBs were red- hot then. Neither has played particularly well since their byes.

Taysom Hill is pretty overrated to me - in Wk 9 they attempted to force the ball to him several times and came up empty - not an efficient usage of said gadget player. They put him in as wildcat QB routinely at the GL after a several-play drive -  very often killing the momentum that got them there and settling for FGs more often than not.

IF the Saints elect not to be so cute and just let Brees be the full time QB they should not have much problem winning this game.

11 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

NFL Net just finished w/Wk 9 Saints/Rams replay - epic game. Both QBs were red- hot then. Neither has played particularly well since their byes.

Taysom Hill is pretty overrated to me - in Wk 9 they attempted to force the ball to him several times and came up empty - not an efficient usage of said gadget player. They put him in as wildcat QB routinely at the GL after a several-play drive -  very often killing the momentum that got them there and settling for FGs more often than not.

IF the Saints elect not to be so cute and just let Brees be the full time QB they should not have much problem winning this game.

Brees and Kamara should spearhead the offense. Every time Hill is on the field it’s a tragedy. 

3 hours ago, devaster said:

Home teams are 10-0 in the last 5 years of the AFC and NFC championship games.

That just means we're due for a 0-2 season by the home teams. Lol. 

24 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Every time Hill is on the field it’s a tragedy. 

Pretty much. Stop forcing it would be my vote. Hill's talented I can see that but stop forcing the issue - work on it for 2020.

16 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Pretty much. Stop forcing it would be my vote. Hill's talented I can see that but stop forcing the issue - work on it for 2020.

Not a chance, Payton needs to show everyone that the flashy new offensive mind isn't as cutting edge as he is.

I expect lots of Hill.

50 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Brees and Kamara should spearhead the offense. Every time Hill is on the field it’s a tragedy. 

16 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I don't mind him on returns or lined up in the slot. I don't like him lined up at QB. If we're going to run the wildcat, I'd just rather do it with Kamara. And I don't like Hill throwing passes out of the QB position...leave those for Brees, please. If Payton wants to run an end-around with Hill and let him throw out of that, I'm fine with that. Otherwise, let Brees do the chucking. 

What is with the Hill hate? He converted a crucial fake punt against the Eagles which was one of 3 plays that really changed the momentum for the Saints in the 1st half last week in my opinion. They don't view him as a Brees successor. But having an athlete that can actually throw the ball well is a much better option when running the wildcat.

Let's go Rams!!!

BRING THE STAMPEDE WITH YOUR HORNS UP!

Edited by ponza88

Best national anthem in ages, just sang the song. Made it about the anthem, not the singer like most of the anthem singers do these days.

Drop costs them 4 points. Must be nice having Brees at QB, nice passes.

Rams get a taste of the Alshon Jeffery effect.

Tie for Wade's  big name defense to step up and make a stop:D

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Tie for Wade's  big name defense to step up and make a stop:D

Bingo ... it did