Boudewijn

Rams/Saints - NFC Championship

The Saints get shorted on the non-PI call.  What does Sean Payton do?  He whines and cries and stalks the officials FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE GAME on the sideline like a pouting child.  Mind you, they took the lead with 2 minutes left when this occurred.  They still had an opportunity to I don't know, play defense?  Then they even won the OT coin toss, and proceeded to puke up the ball immediately at midfield.  With that, they STILL had the opportunity to play some defense.

The entire time, Sean Payton is crying on the sideline, setting the tone for the team that they lost the game because of that call, WHEN THEY HAD THE STINKING LEAD!

Belicheck would have reamed the official, then immediately moved on to the next play to put his team into position to win.  The media, the players, etc. are just a symptom of societies scapegoat disease.  Instead of pointing at the failure of the defense or the brutal failure of Drew Brees In what was probably the worst playoff performance he's had at home in his career, they immediately stoke the referee fire.  The reason 53 grown men lost a game is because of some 70 year old official.  Just total bullcrap.  The better team, and certainly the better coach, won that game.

I have a simple rule of officials, if you STILL have an opportunity to win a game after a bad call, they are not to blame.  With the exception of the FAIL MARY in Seattle, there aren't too many that fit the description, and this game is miles from that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

saints-jared-goff-facemask.jpg

DxZFqthWsAEPAey?format=jpg&name=large

DxZFqtsX4AAgCfP?format=jpg&name=large

DxZFqtlW0AUoz0U?format=jpg&name=large

As a saints fan, they let them get away with hiking the ball at the 00 mark quite a few times.... 

the call was absolutely terrible at the end, but the saints had every opportunity to close it still... they decided not to run the ball or kill the clock at the end. Horrible clock management at the end their....

Edited by CABLE87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched his post game presser, what an embarrassment.  Zero accountability.  Thumbs down to the media for refusing to ask anything aside from that single play as well.

Reminds me of when Moises Alou stomped and cried like a baby when Steve Bartman tried catching a foul ball.  Cubs were up, and still in great position to win, and Alou's reaction that they were victims spread like the plague.  Nobody remembers Alex Gonzalez totally butchering a tailor made double play shortly after that would have ended the inning, they just remember Bartman because losers have no accountability, and latched on to their excuse in the 8th inning.  Just like loser Payton latched on to his with 2 minutes left.

Edited by The_Truth_Returns

The ref crew was pretty bad most of that game. They missed a bunch of calls. Erroneously decided against calling a few blatant pass interferences, including the DPI and unnecessary roughness that would have sealed the game. And there were numerous times the ball was being snapped after the game clock hit 0. I think it happened for both sides.

Either way the NFL needs to get on board with reviewing calls inside the last 2 min or 5 min of a game. Don't let the game be decided by a bad call.

Blown call sure, but it’s indefensible for Payton to give the Rams the ball back with one of their timeouts remaining.  Run it three times. Hell, you might even put the ball in the end zone.

The Rams would have gotten the ball back regardless if they ran the ball 3 times or not. And had enough time to get into FG range and tie the game. Payton was going for the win with a 1st down and potentially TD. The throw on 1st down was a high percentage throw, but Brees threw it at the receiver's feet. The throw on the no-call would have sealed the game, barring a music city miracle-type play.

1:45 with one timeout is quite a bit different than about 1:10 with no timeouts. Is that enough time to move into field goal range? Absolutely. I’d rather take my chances with the latter though. Payton eliminated any real sense of urgency for the Rams with what he gave them.

Payton is basically Nagy with a hall of fame QB, the best RB duo (including a superstar), and an elite WR.

All that fancy play calling is cool and all and it works sometimes but when it matters it doesn't work. It's stupid play calling to consistently run in the playoffs. Hill killed so many plays playing QB yet they keep throwing him out there. 

7 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

1:45 with one timeout is quite a bit different than about 1:10 with no timeouts. Is that enough time to move into field goal range? Absolutely. I’d rather take my chances with the latter though. Payton eliminated any real sense of urgency for the Rams with what he gave them.

Chiefs only needed 39s and 1 TO to score a FG. 30s and 1 TO is enough for any good offense to score a FG. Especially when defenses play prevent and are dead tired at the end of games. You just don't want to leave the opposing team with an opportunity to get a FG, because they are so easy to get at the end of games.

You guys know who that ref was who blew the PI call right?

IMG_2733.JPG

56 minutes ago, devaster said:

The ref crew was pretty bad most of that game. They missed a bunch of calls. Erroneously decided against calling a few blatant pass interferences, including the DPI and unnecessary roughness that would have sealed the game. And there were numerous times the ball was being snapped after the game clock hit 0. I think it happened for both sides.

Either way the NFL needs to get on board with reviewing calls inside the last 2 min or 5 min of a game. Don't let the game be decided by a bad call.

There should be a group of people watching the replays in real time and feeding the refs through an earpiece. 

9 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

There should be a group of people watching the replays in real time and feeding the refs through an earpiece. 

I've been saying this for some time. It's such a common sense decision so naturally, the NFL won't do anything.

Have a ref or two in the booth watching the game from all angles would significantly help the game.

• Like 1

Blown call for sure, im still not over the fact that Payton didn’t run the ball all three downs with Kamara and Ingram back their....

1 minute ago, CABLE87 said:

Blown call for sure, im still not over the fact that Payton didn’t run the ball all three downs with Kamara and Ingram back their....

I really doubt that would have had any impact on the game going to OT. I'm sure there are stats out there, but there was more than enough time for the Rams to get a FG with the scenario. At least the Saints should have won the game if not for the blown call by throwing the ball in an attempt to convert a 1st down or score the TD.

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

I really doubt that would have had any impact on the game going to OT. I'm sure there are stats out there, but there was more than enough time for the Rams to get a FG with the scenario. At least the Saints should have won the game if not for the blown call by throwing the ball in an attempt to convert a 1st down or score the TD.

Still better than letting them have 2TO’s. Way too much time was left. And they got to cute, had that defender turn his head, that ball would have been a pick 6. It hurts, i was in their but i refuse to let payton off the hook, at least run it on 1st down. That incomplete pass to Thomas was terrible....

Edited by CABLE87

How would the defender have turned his head around when he was beat and committing the DPI to prevent the TD? He admitted as much. Silly what if scenario.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

How would the defender have turned his head around when he was beat and committing the DPI to prevent the TD? He admitted as much. Silly what if scenario.

Watch it again, if he didnt commit he would have gotten the ball or at least deflectec it, he didnt even look he just committed to hitting Lewis. Yeah we got robbed yada yada. The only thing we had control of was the time on the board. Thats it.

16 minutes ago, devaster said:

That was just horrible defense in part. The defender thought he was badly beaten so he panicked. However, the angle of the throw made it to not be the case. He just needed to turn around.

NoFlag.gif

Don't get me wrong, it is a silly what if scenario and it doesn't change reality. However, my point is the defender could have picked that off if he knew what he was doing and if he knew what he was doing the Rams wouldn't be getting any crap for being in the super bowl. Instead, Payton would rightfully be getting s---.

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

agree 100%

And they could have small remote controlled flag cannons along the sidelines.   so when the ref in the booth sees the penalty, he can push a button and a yellow flag will shot out.

Edited by K197040
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, K197040 said:

agree 100%

And they could have small remote controlled flag cannons along the sidelines.   so when the ref in the booth sees the penalty, he can push a button and a yellow flag will shot out.

Eh. Just have him communicate with the regular head official. No need for extra gimmicks and that would just cause extra obstructions. Going out of bounds already provides enough danger. It's already ridiculous how often players get hurt going out. 

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Eh. Just have him communicate with the regular head official. No need for extra gimmicks and that would just cause extra obstructions. Going out of bounds already provides enough danger. It's already ridiculous how often players get hurt going out. 

maybe.  Ok...what about having the flags drop from a drone?

3 minutes ago, K197040 said:

maybe.  Ok...what about having the flags drop from a drone?

I think the best idea is to give every fan in the stadium a flag. That way, you have 60,000+ watching meaning no calls will be missed.

2 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Just watched his post game presser, what an embarrassment.  Zero accountability.  Thumbs down to the media for refusing to ask anything aside from that single play as well.

Reminds me of when Moises Alou stomped and cried like a baby when Steve Bartman tried catching a foul ball.  Cubs were up, and still in great position to win, and Alou's reaction that they were victims spread like the plague.  Nobody remembers Alex Gonzalez totally butchering a tailor made double play shortly after that would have ended the inning, they just remember Bartman because losers have no accountability, and latched on to their excuse in the 8th inning.  Just like loser Payton latched on to his with 2 minutes left.

Especially when Alou never made a catch like that in his life.

1 minute ago, psygolf said:

Especially when Alou never made a catch like that in his life.

Really gotta feel for Bartman. The treatment he got from the city was nothing short of disgusting.

6 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Really gotta feel for Bartman. The treatment he got from the city was nothing short of disgusting.

too true...we are horrible animals in our raw state.