Boudewijn

Rams/Saints - NFC Championship

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Just watched his post game presser, what an embarrassment.  Zero accountability.  Thumbs down to the media for refusing to ask anything aside from that single play as well.

 

Reminds me of when Moises Alou stomped and cried like a baby when Steve Bartman tried catching a foul ball.  Cubs were up, and still in great position to win, and Alou's reaction that they were victims spread like the plague.  Nobody remembers Alex Gonzalez totally butchering a tailor made double play shortly after that would have ended the inning, they just remember Bartman because losers have no accountability, and latched on to their excuse in the 8th inning.  Just like loser Payton latched on to his with 2 minutes left.

 

I had to say this post made me chuckle when I looked at your avatar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, CABLE87 said:

 

You mean chiefs. They want a Chiefs Rams rematch.

 

Everyone (except pats fan) are so done with Bill and Tom that the SB ratings will be quite low.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

I think the best idea is to give every fan in the stadium a flag. That way, you have 60,000+ watching meaning no calls will be missed.

 

that's ridiculous

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Reversing the outcome or having them replay the game from that spot would be the worst decision in sports history.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BMcP said:

 

If the Commish didn't overturn Fail Mary in Seattle, which was on the final play of the game, I don't think he can or would do anything when the play in question was not a scoring play, did not occur with 0:00 on the clock, and occurred during a tie game.  You can't assume the remainder of a game away.  At minimum, the Saints would have had to proceed to kick a field goal, and my wallet and Adam Vinatieri last week will tell you there are no guarantees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

 

If the Commish didn't overturn Fail Mary in Seattle, which was on the final play of the game, I don't think he can or would do anything when the play in question was not a scoring play, did not occur with 0:00 on the clock, and occurred during a tie game.  You can't assume the remainder of a game away.  At minimum, the Saints would have had to proceed to kick a field goal, and my wallet and Adam Vinatieri last week will tell you there are no guarantees.

The rule allows for the Commish to re-start/re-play the game from that call. Would have been nice to see it implemented last night. That obscure rule is never going to be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

 

If the Commish didn't overturn Fail Mary in Seattle, which was on the final play of the game, I don't think he can or would do anything when the play in question was not a scoring play, did not occur with 0:00 on the clock, and occurred during a tie game.  You can't assume the remainder of a game away.  At minimum, the Saints would have had to proceed to kick a field goal, and my wallet and Adam Vinatieri last week will tell you there are no guarantees.

img_5701.png

 

Possession of the ball is control of the ball and two feet in bounds. Tate has possession here. Jennings doesn't. Simultaneous possession is when two players have control of the ball at the same time and the ball goes to the offensive player. Tate has the ball here with possession. At this point, it is a TD and the play is over. Jennings ripping the ball out is now irrelevant.

 

Correct call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, devaster said:

The rule allows for the Commish to re-start/re-play the game from that call. Would have been nice to see it implemented last night. That obscure rule is never going to be used.

 

nm

Edited by K197040

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a Saints fan, but the missed PI/Defense less receiver no call will go down in history as the worst non call of all time.  That should be called 100/100 times, truly robbing NO of a Super Bowl berth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the Saints had at least a 98% chance of victory if the correct call were made.  I have to imagine that is well over any reasonable threshold for purposes of exercising commissioner authority under that rule.

 

If not, why not just get rid of the rule?  Or at minimum, re-word it to confine the authority to the last play of a game.

Edited by BMcP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Apparently the Saints had at least a 98% chance of victory if the correct call were made.  I have to imagine that is well over any reasonable threshold for purposes of exercising commissioner authority under that rule.

 

If not, why not just get rid of the rule?  Or at minimum, re-word it to confine the authority to the last play of a game.

I wonder if the chance of victory goes up if the kneel 3 times and make the chip shot FG. That leaves the Rams with less than 20s on the clock to get in FG range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, devaster said:

I wonder if the chance of victory goes up if the kneel 3 times and make the chip shot FG. That leaves the Rams with less than 20s on the clock to get in FG range.

 

Great observation - that’s what I would recommend.  Might ratchet that up to 99%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the penalty was correctly called the Saints would be at the 5 yard line with 1:45 on the clock. Assuming 3 kneel downs (1-2s each play) and the Rams using 1 TO that gets the clock down to ~20s. Then the FG kick of about 27 yards takes off another 3-4s. Kickoff with an intended return is another 4-5s.

 

Realistically, assuming the kicker doesn't go Blair Walsh, the Rams would get the ball back with less than 15s on the clock and no TO's. That gives the Rams one opportunity to get the ball in FG range and clock it. Otherwise the Rams would have to work the sidelines on a couple plays and run a hail mary or lateral play.

 

The Saints could also opt to run it 3 straight times and make for an easier FG or potentially score a TD. Risk the fumble though and/or leaving the Rams enough time to score. Rams likely even opt to let the Saints score a TD to give themselves as much time as possible to force OT.

 

Either way the odds were not good of that game going to OT if the correct call was made.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admitted Saints fan here. Worst no-call/call ever. This wasn’t just a game, or even a wildcard or divisional playoff game. This was for a berth to the Super Bowl. The ref responsible should no longer have a job in the NFL. Period. 

 

Too many what-ifs. What if Dan Arnold catches the TD on the Saints first drive? What if an earlier blatant PI was called? What if Brees doesn’t miss Ginn across the middle? What if the most accurated QB in NFL history doesn’t miss Michael Thomas on 1st down inside the 20 on that final drive? If he just connects on that throw, it’s unlikely any of the rest of this matters. 

 

The Saints got screwed. And each player misses out on something like $250K for making the Super Bowl. What would be hysterical (and stupid and petty...though it would make their point) is if every Saints player decided to file a class-action lawsuit against the NFL for getting screwed out of that money. 

 

Make no bones about it. If that call is made, it’s Black-n-Gold to the Super Bowl. This one is going to hurt for a long, long time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MrWannaBee said:

 

Everyone (except pats fan) are so done with Bill and Tom that the SB ratings will be quite low.

 

 

 

Sighs yeah idc to watch it, i was demoralized yesterday 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gohawks said:

img_5701.png

 

Possession of the ball is control of the ball and two feet in bounds. Tate has possession here. Jennings doesn't. Simultaneous possession is when two players have control of the ball at the same time and the ball goes to the offensive player. Tate has the ball here with possession. At this point, it is a TD and the play is over. Jennings ripping the ball out is now irrelevant.

 

Correct call.

 

Stop it.  Tate has possession of Jennings, who has possession of the ball.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the folks that are saying the game is over if the penalty is called, despite there probably being 20 seconds left for the Rams from lets say the 25 yard line ….

 

The Vikings last year vs. the Saints in the Divisional Round went 75 yards, with 1 timeout in 25 seconds.  You can't just write off the Rams chances with 20 seconds to gain about 27 yards for a reasonable Legatron field goal attempt.  His game winner would have been good from 70, FYI.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Admitted Saints fan here. Worst no-call/call ever. This wasn’t just a game, or even a wildcard or divisional playoff game. This was for a berth to the Super Bowl. The ref responsible should no longer have a job in the NFL. Period. 

 

Too many what-ifs. What if Dan Arnold catches the TD on the Saints first drive? What if an earlier blatant PI was called? What if Brees doesn’t miss Ginn across the middle? What if the most accurated QB in NFL history doesn’t miss Michael Thomas on 1st down inside the 20 on that final drive? If he just connects on that throw, it’s unlikely any of the rest of this matters. 

 

The Saints got screwed. And each player misses out on something like $250K for making the Super Bowl. What would be hysterical (and stupid and petty...though it would make their point) is if every Saints player decided to file a class-action lawsuit against the NFL for getting screwed out of that money. 

 

Make no bones about it. If that call is made, it’s Black-n-Gold to the Super Bowl. This one is going to hurt for a long, long time. 

 

What about all the calls that weren't called that should've been called against the Saints? Those affected the game too. Seems like Saints fans only want to hang their hat on the last one while failing to mention their coach is a crybaby who couldn't get over it in the moment and lead his team that still had multiple chances to put the game away. Saints fans fail to mention all of the previous plays (numerous facemasks, Brees getting extra time after clock reached zero pre-snap, etc) that didn't get called.

 

This one takes the cake for Sean Payton in my mind. He is constantly stirring trouble with opposing players and now he pouts over a bad call for the remainder of the game. Yes it was a terrible call, but it's his job to get his team to move on and focus on the rest of the game rather than pout about it. He's a creative offensive mind, but in my opinion, he is lacking in a lot of areas as a head coach and leader of men.

 

EDIT: Look, I agree that it's probably the worst call I've ever seen. But the rest of my points stand. There are other things that happened in that game that favored the Saints that screwed the Rams and Sean Payton is a baby.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

What about all the calls that weren't called that should've been called against the Saints? Those affected the game too. Seems like Saints fans only want to hang their hat on the last one while failing to mention their coach is a crybaby who couldn't get over it in the moment and lead his team that still had multiple chances to put the game away. Saints fans fail to mention all of the previous plays (numerous facemasks, Brees getting extra time after clock reached zero pre-snap, etc) that didn't get called

 

This one takes the cake for Sean Payton in my mind. He is constantly stirring trouble with opposing players and now he pouts over a bad call for the remainder of the game. Yes it was a terrible call, but it's his job to get his team to move on and focus on the rest of the game rather than pout about it. He's a creative offensive mind, but in my opinion, he is lacking in a lot of areas as a head coach and leader of men.

 

EDIT: Look, I agree that it's probably the worst call I've ever seen. But the rest of my points stand. There are other things that happened in that game that favored the Saints that screwed the Rams and Sean Payton is a baby.

 

No need for the edited qualifier in my opinion, the first 2 paragraphs were 100% accurate.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

What about all the calls that weren't called that should've been called against the Saints? Those affected the game too. Seems like Saints fans only want to hang their hat on the last one while failing to mention their coach is a crybaby who couldn't get over it in the moment and lead his team that still had multiple chances to put the game away. Saints fans fail to mention all of the previous plays (numerous facemasks, Brees getting extra time after clock reached zero pre-snap, etc) that didn't get called.

 

This one takes the cake for Sean Payton in my mind. He is constantly stirring trouble with opposing players and now he pouts over a bad call for the remainder of the game. Yes it was a terrible call, but it's his job to get his team to move on and focus on the rest of the game rather than pout about it. He's a creative offensive mind, but in my opinion, he is lacking in a lot of areas as a head coach and leader of men.

 

EDIT: Look, I agree that it's probably the worst call I've ever seen. But the rest of my points stand. There are other things that happened in that game that favored the Saints that screwed the Rams and Sean Payton is a baby.

 

I think the main point is yes there were other calls missed on BOTH SIDES throughout the game

 

BUT that one call is the only one of all the calls throughout, that directly changed the outcome of the game, all these other calls, are minuscule in comparison to affecting the outcome like that no call did

 

One can say that one call directly changed who won the game, the other calls you cannot make nearly as strong an argument, which is the bottom line, they make that call saints win, cant say that about the other calls with regards to who wins

Edited by kmoore1521

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

 

I think the main point is yes there were other calls missed on BOTH SIDES throughout the game

 

BUT that one call is the only one of all the calls throughout, that directly changed the outcome of the game, all these other calls, are minuscule in comparison to affecting the outcome like that no call did

 

One can say that one call directly changed who won the game, the other calls you cannot make nearly as strong an argument, which is the bottom line, they make that call saints win, cant say that about the other calls with regards to who wins

 

I disagree completely. If the other calls were made as they should have been, the entire complexion of the game is completely different.

 

I don't even know how to debate this because it just seems so simple to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point is no one knows how the other calls would impact the game as the game would be completely different. When a call is incorrect that directly impacts the final result that is a different matter altogether. Saints get the correct call they win that game and don't go to OT. None of the other calls have that impact. The other calls only influence how the game plays out, but no one has any idea how the game would have played out if those other calls were made.

 

The ref crew in this particular game botched calls all over the place against both teams. But the lone call at the end of the game is what ultimately matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.