Sign in to follow this  
IlliniGuy76

Blake Snell 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

giphy.gif

It is rough for sure but would you really drop in redraft? A scope is like the best case scenario for a surgery and the Rays seemed pretty confident he would be back this year. If a setback happens then 100%, but for now, I think you have to hold

• Like 2

Every "drop in redraft?" question depends on number of DL slots and who else is in them.  If you have an open slot, you hold.  If not, you weigh the chance of a few starts in September against whatever production you think your worst DL player will give you.

• Like 3

His ROS outlook aside, hopefully this (coupled with the few bad starts he had this year) lowers his price a bit next year.

40 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

His ROS outlook aside, hopefully this (coupled with the few bad starts he had this year) lowers his price a bit next year.

His price is definitely going to be a little less next year

• Like 1

Not unlikely we have seen the last of Blake Snell in 2019.  Rays could drop out of the race by September and Rays management will probably reason there isn't any sense in bringing Snell back.

4 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Totally agree.  But i think itll make things worse and people will just look at 2018. That string of 4 horrendous starts was so bad and that foot injury shojld be at least somewhat to blame.  I bet he'll get so much helium as "sleeper to target" that there wont be much of a discount if any.  This year he was mr.regression candidate,but he sure didn't look like it before the toe thing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Totally agree.  But i think itll make things worse and people will just look at 2018. That string of 4 horrendous starts was so bad and that foot injury shojld be at least somewhat to blame.  I bet he'll get so much helium as "sleeper to target" that there wont be much of a discount if any.  This year he was mr.regression candidate,but he sure didn't look like it before the toe thing.

Doubt it. People have a short memory. All of these pitchers will get drafted before Snell in 90% of FLB leagues next season. That should push him to the 60s in terms of ADP. 

1) Scherzer
2) deGrom
3) Verlander
4) Cole
5) Sale
6) Strasburg
7) Kershaw
8) Ryu
9) Buehler
10) Bieber
11) Castillo
12) Morton

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Doubt it. People have a short memory. All of these pitchers will get drafted before Snell in 90% of FLB leagues next season. That should push him to the 60s in terms of ADP. 

1) Scherzer
2) deGrom
3) Verlander
4) Cole
5) Sale
6) Strasburg
7) Kershaw
😎 Ryu
9) Buehler
10) Bieber
11) Castillo
12) Morton

Good list and all possible (league and ros dependant obviously.)  I think the only absolute certainties though would be #s 1-4.  Snell could go anywhere from 5-12 on that list.  My #5 would be bueller (maybe 6) and I’d have snell around that area. All it takes is one.

What a killer.  He had been turning things around.  Just in time for owners to miss him for the entire fantasy playoffs.  

He's supposed to begin throwing this weekend. Will he be back in time for fantasy playoffs for those who start September 2nd?? 

On 8/9/2019 at 4:58 PM, hangin n wangin said:

He's supposed to begin throwing this weekend. Will he be back in time for fantasy playoffs for those who start September 2nd?? 

Considering he hasn't even started throwing off a mound yet (only playing catch), I can't see how he'll have enough time to build up arm strength by then.  Considering the minor league season ends in a few weeks, I'm starting to think it's more likely Snell returns as a reliever than a starter.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:08 PM, jmcampbe11 said:

1) Scherzer
2) deGrom
3) Verlander
4) Cole
5) Sale
6) Strasburg
7) Kershaw
8) Ryu
9) Buehler
10) Bieber
11) Castillo
12) Morton

Just saw this post since the thread was bumped and I'm not sure what to think. I don't see how any of those players besides the top 4 and maybe Buehler are drafted ahead of Snell in any competitive re-draft league. In keeper/dynasty leagues Snell is surely top 3. 

Won't return before mid-September
August 25, 2019
Manager Kevin Cash reiterated Sunday that Snell (elbow) remains without a clear timeline to return from the 10-day injured list, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.
ANALYSIS
Snell hasn't hit a setback in his recovery from left elbow surgery since beginning a throwing program Aug. 12, but he's still not far enough along in his rehab process for the Rays to identify a target date for his return. Since Snell remains limited to playing catch off flat ground at this stage, Topkin posits that the southpaw is likely at least 10 days behind rehabbing pitcher Tyler Glasnow (elbow), who is slated to throw live batting practice Tuesday. With Glasnow realistically trending toward a return in the second week of September, it thus appears safe to rule out Snell for at least the first half of the season's final month. A clearer timeline for Snell's return should emerge once he advances to mound work.

11 hours ago, davidgoretiz said:
Won't return before mid-September
August 25, 2019
Manager Kevin Cash reiterated Sunday that Snell (elbow) remains without a clear timeline to return from the 10-day injured list, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.
ANALYSIS
Snell hasn't hit a setback in his recovery from left elbow surgery since beginning a throwing program Aug. 12, but he's still not far enough along in his rehab process for the Rays to identify a target date for his return. Since Snell remains limited to playing catch off flat ground at this stage, Topkin posits that the southpaw is likely at least 10 days behind rehabbing pitcher Tyler Glasnow (elbow), who is slated to throw live batting practice Tuesday. With Glasnow realistically trending toward a return in the second week of September, it thus appears safe to rule out Snell for at least the first half of the season's final month. A clearer timeline for Snell's return should emerge once he advances to mound work.

Given that he hasn't even thrown off a mound yet and we're at the end of August, I think if Snell does return this year, it will be as a reliever.  To me, Snell is a drop at this point, and he'll go down as one of the biggest fantasy busts of the year.

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Given that he hasn't even thrown off a mound yet and we're at the end of August, I think if Snell does return this year, it will be as a reliever.  To me, Snell is a drop at this point, and he'll go down as one of the biggest fantasy busts of the year.

If they're in the playoff hunt they might want to stretch him out during the regular season, but I agree that he's pretty much useless. smh

According to Rays’ manager Kevin Cash, Blake Snell is about 10 days behind Glasnow in his rehab start, which would put his target return the third or fourth week of September.  That would be in time to make a start or two before a possible Wild Card game.

https://calltothepen.com/2019/08/27/tampa-bay-rays-blake-snell-tyler-glasnow-close/