Sign in to follow this  
IlliniGuy76

Blake Snell 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

 

If wanting a QS is the basis for this post......96 pitches, 2 outs, one on in the 6th. Cameron Maybin coming up

I'd like to see someone come up with a reason to pull him without getting mocked. It can't be done. 

You can't.  Obviously he wasn't as sharp anymore after carving up the Yankees for most of the game, but he didn't look gassed at all.  The move made no sense, as it was his 4th game since coming off the DL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disclaimer: I’m a Snell owner in a QS league.

He was at 38 pitches through 3 innings. 

It took him 58 pitches to get the next 8 outs.

He was far less efficient in innings 4 - 6 so while the early hook might suck for us fantasy players I’m not going to criticize Cash for his in-game decisions when this team is playing as well as they are so far this year. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Blake Snell has now given up 4 runs in his last 3 starts combined, but has been given 1 run of run support in each of those starts to give him a record of 0-1 in those starts.  Amazing, especially since they scored 7 runs last night when Snell was originally scheduled to pitch.

I would say he's the 2019 Jacob deGrom, and he is, but the Rays are now 29-19.  At least you could understand it to an extent given how bad the Mets were, but the Rays are the complete opposite and he still isn't getting Wins.  Cash babying him doesn't help, but still, this makes little sense.

Edited by KilloWertz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if a poll should be made about whether anybody thinks Snell is going to win any games the rest of the season.  Now 4 starts in a row where he's allowed 2 runs or less and has 0 Wins to show for it after their bullpen blew it tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

I wonder if a poll should be made about whether anybody thinks Snell is going to win any games the rest of the season.  Now 4 starts in a row where he's allowed 2 runs or less and has 0 Wins to show for it after their bullpen blew it tonight.

 

Just a streak of bad luck.  No worries - things will turn around soon.  He's a stud and the wins will come.  Tampa is a good squad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mehtavg2000 said:

 

Just a streak of bad luck.  No worries - things will turn around soon.  He's a stud and the wins will come.  Tampa is a good squad.

I know he is.  I'm not looking to deal him or anything.  I actually believe he's the best pitcher in baseball.

It's just getting beyond ridiculous that they score in 4 games straight, but then it's Snell's turn and they forget how to score for one game.  It'd be different if it was just a couple of starts, but he's been good/great in every start except for his Opening Day start and the two after he came back from his broken toe, and has little to show for it.  I know one would say just don't watch his starts, but it is getting hard to watch them because no matter how good he pitches, you basically expect him to not have a chance at getting a Win right from the start because it's all that's happened almost all season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I know he is.  I'm not looking to deal him or anything.  I actually believe he's the best pitcher in baseball.

It's just getting beyond ridiculous that they score in 4 games straight, but then it's Snell's turn and they forget how to score for one game.  It'd be different if it was just a couple of starts, but he's been good/great in every start except for his Opening Day start and the two after he came back from his broken toe, and has little to show for it.  I know one would say just don't watch his starts, but it is getting hard to watch them because no matter how good he pitches, you basically expect him to not have a chance at getting a Win right from the start because it's all that's happened almost all season.

 

Look at it this way.  He’s having such bad luck right now that it will likely turn for the better come fantasy playoff time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sale and Scherzer are looking with envy at Snell’s win total so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BMcP said:

Sale and Scherzer are looking with envy at Snell’s win total so far

Neither has had as many 1 or 2 ER games like Snell has had.

Still, you are right that neither one of them have much in the way of any good luck either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He gets his first win today since May 6, through mostly no fault of his own (other than the Detroit game last time out).  I guess it's time to pull this picture out again...

 

th-5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see him go more than 6 on occasion but that's being extremely nitpicky.  In a year where pitching is sporadic (to put it nicely), it's nice to have someone like Snell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I would love to see him go more than 6 on occasion but that's being extremely nitpicky.  In a year where pitching is sporadic (to put it nicely), it's nice to have someone like Snell.  

Some of it is because of their manager babying him, but I think a lot of it has to do with all of the swinging strikes he gets, which I believe he leads the league in.  That obviously doesn't lead to a lot of really quick outs, which is great obviously outside of him being able to go deeper into games.

Still, like you said, it's nice to have a pitcher like Snell, even if their offense has made it extremely frustrating for getting Wins with the lack of run support.  If it wasn't for the freak toe injury and the lack of run support, he'd be right up there where he should be with his by far league leading K-rate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy. Is he related to the Snells for Ozark? That would explain it

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That could have been the worst performance by a starting pitcher I have ever seen.  How can he be this bad?  The guy was basically un-hittable last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His fip is slightly higher than last year but his siera and xfip are lower. His strikeout and walk rates are better this year. He’s giving up less hard contact (both fangraphs and statcast) lees barrels. XBA XSLG and XWOBA are all better than last year. I don’t get it even if there was to be some regression this year he should still be elite. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vthunder said:

That could have been the worst performance by a starting pitcher I have ever seen.  How can he be this bad?  The guy was basically un-hittable last year. 

 

You haven't been watching baseball for very long if that was the worst you've seen. Not to suggest he looked good. The mayhem began with a weak dribbler the third baseman couldn't rush in to get. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IceGoat said:

 

You haven't been watching baseball for very long if that was the worst you've seen. Not to suggest he looked good. The mayhem began with a weak dribbler the third baseman couldn't rush in to get. 

He was missing by alot, this was an all time sh^t show.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I paused the Yankees game while CC was warming up, then showered and did various things around my place. I had it paused for a while. I began to watch the game, while fast forwarding in between pitches, and I didn't make it out of the first inning. The Yankees' half of the 1st was so long I ran out of DV-R slack. 

Methinks he is a good buy-low. Unlike mostly everyone else here, I am not his owner this year. I have plenty of other players to fill the aggravation void on my team. 

Edited by IceGoat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m wondering if the toe still bothers him or maybe it’s just something mental.  He’s had several good starts since the injury but also several complete ratio-killing disasters.  At any rate, he is not even remotely reliable right now.  His upside is high but apparently his downside is just as low.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably hung over. NY night life got to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sonny_D said:

Probably hung over. NY night life got to him. 

 

he did kind of look like crap, big bags under his eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.