Sign in to follow this  
rdf8585

Trevor Richards 2019 Outlook

On 5/18/2019 at 10:21 PM, 24/7fantasysports said:

Is Richard's performing at his ceiling?

He is not terrible by any means but I was expecting a little better ERA and WHIP.

Aside from ST STEVEN's input above is anyone seeing underlying stats which indicate better days ahead?

Better days are here ;)

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 8:21 PM, 24/7fantasysports said:

Is Richard's performing at his ceiling?

He is not terrible by any means but I was expecting a little better ERA and WHIP.

Aside from ST STEVEN's input above is anyone seeing underlying stats which indicate better days ahead?

Couldn't have had a better ERA and WHIP after today's start against the Padres.  He even kept his command after a roughly 30 minute bee swarm delay.  

• Like 1

He's been on that positive regression run that a few of us thought was going to be possible...his chart -while very solid- is showing him sticking with his 2 bread&butter offerings, which is a tad disappointing, because I was seeing real progress with his Cutter/SL and even Curve too...hopefully that re-emerges for him:

FB- up a full tick yesterday and averaged 92 will hitting 94, threw 55--39 for strikes with 28 swings and 5 whiffs, tons of spin with great vertical movement

CH- truly an elite offering, sat 84 while tossing 37--29 strikes with 28 swings! and 8 whiffs...mmmkay

SL- it teeters between a cutter/slider by classification (88/89 mph), it shows some killer spin and dive/dart movements, only threw 3...need much more here

CU- another 3 at 80 mph, good horizontal action...would compliment his arsenal greatly if he can find it consistently

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ST. STEVEN

Which of the slider or curve do you think he should focus on more? Im assuming you would want less heaters and more of one of or two of these breakers if he can find some consistency with them. If this happens, whats his ceiling?

He’s good. Been good for a month or more. You probably just won’t get many wins because of those Marlins. Ugly a** team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

He’s good. Been good for a month or more. You probably just won’t get many wins because of those Marlins. Ugly a** team.

That he has.  Wish I jumped on board at least when I was tempted to two starts ago.

As for Wins, he has a solid shot at getting one his next time out at least (against the Pirates and Steven Brault in Miami).

• Like 1

He actually kept the Braves hitless through 5 I believe.  That's a really good lineup to keep in check.  Surprised he's only about 30% owned.  A good pickup at this juncture in the season for a starter.

On 6/9/2019 at 12:22 AM, NoHablaIngles said:

@ST. STEVEN

Which of the slider or curve do you think he should focus on more? Im assuming you would want less heaters and more of one of or two of these breakers if he can find some consistency with them. If this happens, whats his ceiling?

I kinda hope he just ups the usage of each, really...they both flash a little something and even the firmer slide piece still sits with enough velo separation (between the FB and CH) that it is an asset on his MPH spectrum, the loopier CU really could be the better K pitch if he can get a feel for it. His chart from Sat v ATL:

FB- was still up the full tick that was present in outing before, at 92+MPH, had wicked dive movement on it which may have lead to some command complications too, but it really seems difficult to barrel when it is dancing like it was, threw 26--13 for strikes with 4 swings and 2 whiffs

CH- just the usual here for him, extremely tough for hitters to get on the sweet spot with it's movement, tossed up a whopping 58--42 for strikes! with 35 swings and 9 whiffs, all were right in that 82-85 MPH range...just a plus/plus pitch all day

SL- mixed in 6 at 87 MPH area, has some positive traits both from vert/horizontal measurements, 3 of the 6 went for strikes with 3 swings and a whiff

CU- nice horizontal sweep with it, sat at 77+mph and spun up 5--2 for strikes with a cut

I think against certain teams he can up his K rate, even if the BABIP regresses to a more normal range--I think he is getting a tad lucky to not be giving up more hits than he has on this sweet little streak he's working on...he's just a really nice pitcher for the middle-to-back of a fantasy staff-

• Like 2

was tempted to use him for the 2 start week. after that figured he had to have a crap game. well he didn't. now I am starting him this week. here comes the crap game.

I feel like the start against PIT last time was sort of a blip, and he was back to his solid ways last night--albeit against the struggling STL bats (in STL)...(8K/3BB)

-FB was around normal range 91-93 mph with great vertical movement and lots of off-barrel contact, threw 40--25 strikes with 14 swings and 3 whiffs

-CH his bread&butter, one of the best in the game, tossed 42--26 strikes with 19 cuts and 5 whiffs

-SL really kind of a slower/tighter spin cutter, but very encouraging marks in spin/movements (both vert and horizontal) and the usage spattering was ideal with 23 tossed up--13 strikes with 8 hacks and 2 whiffs

It is nice to see a legit 3 pitch mix outta him. He went up in the zone with the FB for some nice put-away executions, I feel like we are just a little ways off from him possibly taking another small step forward here...it's tough because he needs rather pinpoint command with his stuff but with a little better sequencing he can perhaps not need to walk such a fine line. The growth of the 3rd offering feels legitimate and adds a needed wrinkle. Also of note he appeared to be getting stronger in the 5th/6th and esp 7th innings, both in terms of strike % and his quality of pitches.

Always seems like his pitch count is up near 100 by the 5th or 6th inning. With the Marlins poor offense, difficult for him to get wins.  Can offer help in 3 of the 5 pitching categories though.

On 6/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

I feel like the start against PIT last time was sort of a blip, and he was back to his solid ways last night--albeit against the struggling STL bats (in STL)...(8K/3BB)

-FB was around normal range 91-93 mph with great vertical movement and lots of off-barrel contact, threw 40--25 strikes with 14 swings and 3 whiffs

-CH his bread&butter, one of the best in the game, tossed 42--26 strikes with 19 cuts and 5 whiffs

-SL really kind of a slower/tighter spin cutter, but very encouraging marks in spin/movements (both vert and horizontal) and the usage spattering was ideal with 23 tossed up--13 strikes with 8 hacks and 2 whiffs

It is nice to see a legit 3 pitch mix outta him. He went up in the zone with the FB for some nice put-away executions, I feel like we are just a little ways off from him possibly taking another small step forward here...it's tough because he needs rather pinpoint command with his stuff but with a little better sequencing he can perhaps not need to walk such a fine line. The growth of the 3rd offering feels legitimate and adds a needed wrinkle. Also of note he appeared to be getting stronger in the 5th/6th and esp 7th innings, both in terms of strike % and his quality of pitches.

Anyone throwing him out there vs CWS tonight?

found this interesting...

LATEST NEWS

JUL 29, 8:49 AM CDT

Richards could be part of the Marlins' closer mix following the Sergio Romo trade, Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports.

ANALYSIS

Only recently moved to the bullpen, Richards picked up his first career hold Sunday when he walked one batter in a scoreless seventh inning. Miami manager Don Mattingly invoked the name of another Trevor -- Hall of Famer Trevor Hoffman -- when discussing how the 26-year-old's plus changeup could be effective in relief, but calling that comparison premature would be an understatement. Even so, the Marlins have little to lose by experimenting with the closer role down the stretch to see if anyone can step up and seize it, so Richards could well get some save chances.

Do you think he's just the opener vs Detroit today or will go the distance?

he hasnt pitched in the bigs for two weeks, and they only let him go for an inning three times before that.

That being said he is playing against Detroit and might be able to squeeze out three innings?

He went 1, 2 1/3, and 2 innings in the minors with Tampa so I’m assuming he’s just an opener. Last time he went more than 3 innings was 7/22 almost a month ago.