PizzaBeerFF

Superbowl LIII: Patriots v Rams

15 minutes ago, devaster said:

Yeah and Donald had 20.5 of those sacks and over 100 of those pressures. Donald is an absolute beast and the best player in the NFL on both sides of the field. But The rest of their pass rush and DLine leaves a lot to be desired.

Yep Donald is an absolute phenomenon - he basically makes the entire line play up single-handedly.

I heard a lot about Suh taking attention away from Donald but in the 5-6 Rams games I watched this season, I just didn't see that.  Suh looked slow to me and was probably more help against the run (?).  I think Donald is just a transformative talent.  Given that Brady has not really been touched in the postseason this has to be the key matchup to watch on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yep Donald is an absolute phenomenon - he basically makes the entire line play up single-handedly.

Oliver has shades of Donald in him. Excited to see him in the pros. Donald is an absolute beast though.  

• Like 1

Donald... meet Develin. You'll see a lot of him. ;)

Edited by PizzaBeerFF

On 1/27/2019 at 5:06 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

"It seems highly likely to me that BB will try to take away the run, and then switch his formation after the headset is turned off, forcing Goff to make his own adjustments, unaided by McVay.  If so, Goff will have to beat New England's excellent secondary with under-pressure throws. McVay likely knows this, but the Rams may be able to run anyway, since their line is blocking really well, and Anderson and Gurley have both piled up big numbers in the playoffs."

Perhaps one way the Rams would counter that strategy is to break from the huddle & line up so they know what the Patriots are showing before the mic cuts out at 15 sec? But I think a lot of us agree that Gurley has to be huge for the Rams to win. It's okay if he's largely neutralized, so long as New England leaves themselves vulnerable elsewhere. But there's some of us that know what that means. New England is going to have to be defending the wrong thing a lot of the time, which is highly unlikely. They can shut down Gurley with just their base, if they often know where the point of attack is going to be. No reading, no wasted steps, the ball is snapped and their front explodes to defend that spot. I also agree with your point pertaining to Goff, if I understand correctly. He's still a young player, if he has to make a lot of pre & post-snap adjustments, it could be a disaster.  

On the other side of the ball Shaun O'Hara broke down this play yesterday on the NFL Network. This was huge in New England's regular season match vs KC, week 6. This is a 1st & 10 play with less than 4 mins left in regulation & a 4pt lead. The Patriots are in their base grouping & the Chiefs, in their 3-4 base front. O'Hara states:  "This is a great job of them scouting & knowing what an opponent's going to do against a front or personnel." Rather than break down different aspects of this play, here the focus is on the DB lined up across from & responsible for covering Gronk. On the replay we see how Gronk got so wide open. The ball is snapped and the LT blocks the DB, Gronk slips inside of the block & is all alone. For me, the analysis from O'Hara or Chris Collinsworth on the replay are both inadequate! Because the LT looks to block him, the DB then just foregoes his responsibility to cover Gronk? The DB stacks at the point, like a DE would, as if he's responsible for setting the edge on this play. Even though the OLB, who isn't being blocked by anyone, is there to do that! 

For the faithful, they can concede that the play went for 42 yards because of the flop & that the analysis, although not purposefully, is lopsided. Apart from that the design of the play (the LT's block plus the run action to the right which opens the inside to Gronk) is gold & why the Patriots often win. But here are some of the problems with this play; it's an important play in the game & Gronk is only option. The NFL rule is that OL can only block one yard downfield before a pass. An OL can't proceed downfield screening a defender from a rec'r who doesn't have the ball... that's a penalty! So the DB doesn't have to take on the LT & shed his block. I said just the DB, but the OLB is big here too. This very formation is ripe for the backside OLB to explode off the snap & provide the backside pursuit or account for the QB. Both WRs & FB align to the right side of the formation, Gronk is the only guy to the left. They cut loose the OLB, while Brady has his back to him pretty much the whole time. 

The Patriots knew the DB would take on the LT & forego his cover assignment? No, that was blown. Okay, they knew he'd line up tight as if he were going to press Gronk, (which was necessary for the block to occur in the 1st place)? They knew the OLB, in a position to race downhill, would sit? As a unit KC bites on the run action, so where's the inside dog? The Patriots knew there wouldn't be an ILB blitz? How did they know the deep Safety wasn't going to roll up into the short zone? Oh, no, they couldn't have been certain about those things. Oh yeah, how do you know they didn't know? Well, if they were guessing again, they sure guess right a lot of the time.           

13 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Donald... meet Develin. You'll see a lot of him. ;)

The FB? Yeah... he has no shot against Donald. I don't know how they will handle Donald, but I expect 2-3 bodies thrown at him every play.

Two more days until we find out.  Chiefs Saints would have been more fun, but I am actually getting pretty hyped to see this matchup.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

The FB? Yeah... he has no shot against Donald. I don't know how they will handle Donald, but I expect 2-3 bodies thrown at him every play.

Well every team has to do that, Donald is too good but Develin is a great blocker fwiw and will definitely help some 

2 hours ago, devaster said:

My point is I expect Pats to run at Donald. 

6 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

O/U 9.5 receptions for James white?

I'd say under. Rams are good against pass catching backs, 9.5 is a lot.

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

Under...easy $

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

I'd say under. Rams are good against pass catching backs, 9.5 is a lot.

over. Superbowl MVP

5 rushes 50 yards, 13 receptions 125 yards,  1 rushing td and 1 rec td.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Where is this prop? Lol

3 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

over. Superbowl MVP

Close, but wrong tree...it’ll be Gurley: 13 rushes 125 yards 1td, 5 rec 50 yds 1td.

Edited by psygolf

3 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

over. Superbowl MVP

Really bad bet - 19 catches all post-season and about to face one of the best defenses against RBs of his profile.

• Thanks 1

I don't know what to tell y'all, this fool is grabbing 11 balls

9 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Really bad bet - 19 catches all post-season and about to face one of the best defenses against RBs of his profile.

So he averaged 9.5 catches/game this post-season?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BMcP said:

its not a bet. its the future.

11 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

its not a bet. its the future.

It is pretty hard to counter arguments like “the Pats are a diff animal” and “it’s the future.”  LOL.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, devaster said:

So he averaged 9.5 catches/game this post-season?

Yep.

I guess if you expect him to exceed his average the first time he faces an elite defense vs. pass-catchers out of the backfield, take the bet.

Edited by BMcP

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yep.

I guess if you expect him to exceed his average the first time he faces an elite defense vs. pass-catchers out of the backfield, take the bet.

Rams aren't anything close to an elite defense. So I guess that is one of the bets I'd feel comfortable with. Especially his usage during key games. White's usage is entirely dependent on gameflow though.

Just now, devaster said:

Rams aren't anything close to an elite defense. So I guess that is one of the bets I'd feel comfortable with. Especially his usage during key games. White's usage is entirely dependent on gameflow though.

They are with respect to defending pass-catching RBs, which I thought was the whole point of this past exchange.  Of all the bets you could make on this game, that would be a poor one in my opinion.

14 minutes ago, BMcP said:

They are with respect to defending pass-catching RBs, which I thought was the whole point of this past exchange.  Of all the bets you could make on this game, that would be a poor one in my opinion.

Its one that I made up and is probably a few ticks higher of the actual. I just think hes due for a 10+ brady checkdown game.

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

Its one that I made up and is probably a few ticks higher of the actual. I just think hes due for a 10+ brady checkdown game.

wth