PizzaBeerFF

Superbowl LIII: Patriots v Rams

1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

Yet Brady still threw for 500 yds and the offense did whatever they wanted. I guess they must have "cheated" though, right? Hahaha. Even though those numbers directly dispute your claim that Philly successfully "threw them off the scent." From now on, whenever I see the Patriots have success on offense, I guess the fair conclusion would be that they must be "cheating" since that's the only way to succeed.

Didn't Peyton Manning get his offense into the right situations too presnap? I guess he cheated too then, huh?

This is stupid .Can we just move on already?

Manning cheated also by talking PEDs.

11 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Patriots fans:  "Why can't we just talk about how great the Patriots are and just ignore their cheating?  Sob!"

Reasonable observers of the game of football:  "Overwhelming evidence shows that the Patriots are so successful because they cheat."

Couldn't be further off base here. I still haven't heard a logical explanation that shows all this clear evidence for why they win games. Saying they got some first downs because they adjusted presnap is not clear evidence despite what you might think.

But keep up with that thought process. It certainly fits some of you while you wear your custom "I hate the Patriots tshirts" on football sundays instead of a jersey of the team you "root for".

12 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Patriots fans:  "Why can't we just talk about how great the Patriots are and just ignore their cheating?  Sob!"

Reasonable observers of the game of football:  "Overwhelming evidence shows that the Patriots are so successful because they cheat."

But what are y'all really trying to accomplish by saying the Patriots are cheaters over and over and over and over again? Are you trying to convince everyone that they need to agree with you? Do you need further validation that what you believe is correct? Are you trying to raise awareness to a subject that either A). Nobody cares about or B). has already formed an opinion on years ago? We can't discuss the actual Super Bowl matchup because we MUST discuss cheating in some capacity at all times? I'm just going to type the words Los Angeles Rams right here because they haven't been brought up in pages.

Some social scientist should really use this thread as research on internet rationality and forum behavior lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MoonBlaster said:

But what are y'all really trying to accomplish by saying the Patriots are cheaters over and over and over and over again? Are you trying to convince everyone that they need to agree with you? Do you need further validation that what you believe is correct? Are you trying to raise awareness to a subject that either A). Nobody cares about or B). has already formed an opinion on years ago? We can't discuss the actual Super Bowl matchup because we MUST discuss cheating in some capacity at all times? I'm just going to type the words Los Angeles Rams right here because they haven't been brought up in pages.

Some social scientist should really use this thread as research on internet rationality and forum behavior lol.

Yup.

Edited by ThreadKiller

For a group of people who just really want to talk football, there is a lot of chatter in here about other posters.

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

For a group of people who just really want to talk football, there is a lot of chatter in here about other posters.

Probably because the other posters have yet to actually contribute anything in that direction and clearly don't want to. I'm just here because I'm killing time before lunch.

• Like 1

I have been trying to discuss the Super Bowl matchup.  Discussion point: The Patriots will try to cheat, so the Rams better watch out.

Discussion point:  Wade Phillips has beaten this team several times since 2013, so he must be pretty good at avoiding the Patriots cheating.

Discussion Point:  The Eagles knew last year that the Pats were going to try to cheat, so they ran a fake walk-through and called plays they had NEVER ONCE run before.  That worked, hope the Rams keep that going.

Discussion Point:  Belichick benched Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl last year, quite possibly because they figured out that the Eagles game plan was going to be to target Butler.  And they obviously could never admit that, hence the mystery science theater treatment of the subject.

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I have been trying to discuss the Super Bowl matchup.  Discussion point: The Patriots will try to cheat, so the Rams better watch out.

Discussion point:  Wade Phillips has beaten this team several times since 2013, so he must be pretty good at avoiding the Patriots cheating.

Discussion Point:  The Eagles knew last year that the Pats were going to try to cheat, so they ran a fake walk-through and called plays they had NEVER ONCE run before.  That worked, hope the Rams keep that going.

Discussion Point:  Belichick benched Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl last year, quite possibly because they figured out that the Eagles game plan was going to be to target Butler.  And they obviously could never admit that, hence the mystery science theater treatment of the subject.

Lol this actually made me laugh a little, possibly the most intentionally baitiest post I've ever seen. 

Anways, I mentioned this a few pages back but the Eagles aggressiveness is what knocked the Patriots on their heels last year (Nick Foles making some out of his mind throws also helped substantially), McVay it seems by nature calls an aggressive "modern" game of football but they'll still need to be unconventional in their ways.

I do also believe it's in the Patriots best interest to focus on CJ and Gurley in the early going because I think Goff will need time to settle in like Mahomes did. If New England can get a 2 possession lead quick like they did against KC I think it will go a lot further in this game.. Maybe it's because I haven't watched a ton of Rams since their bye but I don't know that Goff has that same level of magic Mahomes does to will his team back. 

• Like 1

Goff sucks.  He is helpless without McVay in his ear.  Did you see the panic on the Ram sideline as they tried to get his headset to work?  

The Rams only hope is to out-execute New England and run the ball down their throats.  A bit like Pittsburgh did in week 15 or whatever it was.  If Anderson and Gurley can run for about 125 yards each, the Rams will have a pretty good chance.

37 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, fletch44 said:

"How do the Pats get the other team's playbook every week and how do they know the signals? And what if the other team does something radical like change their signals? Do they know when they change signals too? Also it's amazing they have been able to get away with this for so long since there are hundreds of former Patriot players/coaches now employed by other teams who would have to know about this. Maybe they are moles?"

"It is no secret that Peyton Manning is insanely competitive, so it should not come as a surprise how he reacted when conversations with ex-Patriots players led him to believe that the Patriots' visitors' locker room was bugged." https://www.businessinsider.com/peyton-manning-patriots-visiting-locker-room-bugged-2015-8

OMG, "Flea"bag stadium is BUGGED! Shocked, truly! 

@fletch44

Accordingly (that means I'm referencing mainstream material), the players aren't involved, has nothing to do with Tom Brady. Operatives gain access by attaining the necessary credentials to opponents stadiums. Once there, they do everything they can to determine who relays the signals, what they are & correlate them with any given play. There's HeadsetGate, Mike Tomlin who said every time the Steelers go there they're communique is disrupted... & he's not the only one who has said that. 

Edited by markrc99

3 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

@fletch44

Accordingly (that means I'm referencing mainstream material), the players aren't involved, has nothing to do with Tom Brady. Operatives gain access by attaining the necessary credentials to opponents stadiums. Once there, they do everything they can to determine who relays the signals, what they are & correlate them with any given play. There's HeadsetGate, Mike Tomlin who said every time the Steelers go there they're communique is disrupted... & he's not the only one who has said that. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/12/coaches-say-headset-problems-happen-often-outside-new-england/

6 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

@fletch44

Except that the headsets are controlled by the NFL and not the individual teams. Nice try though as I'm sure you gathered that opinion from what someone at ESPN said and you failed to research it on your own to make sure its credible. Bravo!

Look, if you're not interested in a discussion about the Superbowl and just want to spit this nonsense, just do everyone and yourself a favor and spend your time elsewhere. You're not bringing anything of value to the table in here.

Edited by ThreadKiller

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Goff sucks.  He is helpless without McVay in his ear.  Did you see the panic on the Ram sideline as they tried to get his headset to work?  

The Rams only hope is to out-execute New England and run the ball down their throats.  A bit like Pittsburgh did in week 15 or whatever it was.  If Anderson and Gurley can run for about 125 yards each, the Rams will have a pretty good chance.

Kinda seems like both teams are going with the same philosophy on paper. I don't think New England wants to throw 50 times, their recent mantra has been start milking the clock from the opening whistle... I did hear from one of the talking heads that it might be in LA's best interest to have "broken" plays schemed in, use Goff's athleticism to have more scramble type plays similar to what KC was successful doing... Kind of an interesting thought.

What's the over/under on the Rams running a fake punt??

26 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

"Except that the headsets are controlled by the NFL and not the individual teams. Nice try though as I'm sure you gathered that opinion from what someone at ESPN said and you failed to research it on your own to make sure its credible. Bravo! Look, if you're not interested in a discussion about the Superbowl and just want to spit this nonsense, just do everyone and yourself a favor and spend your time elsewhere. You're not bringing anything of value to the table in here."

I have the Kansas City game, if there's a play or something you want to discuss, NOTHING is preventing you from doing so! While communique is an issue league-wide, reportedly, the circumstance at Gillette occurs more frequently. While the report that pertains to how the Patriots gain opponents signals is ESPN, they source a lot of people. As for the headsets themselves, my understanding is that the league sends the equipment to NFL stadiums, but it's the teams that rig them up. The operator is only that.  

Edited by markrc99

18 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

I have the Kansas City game, if there's a play or something you want to discuss, NOTHING is preventing you from doing so! While communique is an issue league-wide, reportedly, the circumstance at Gillette occurs more frequently. While the report that pertains to how the Patriots gain opponents signals is ESPN, they source a lot of people. As for the headsets themselves, my understanding is that the league sends the equipment to NFL stadiums, but it's the teams that rig them up. The operator is only that.  

Found these is 12 seconds. The first link illustrates how headset malfunctions happen in every stadium. In the 2nd link, notice the part labeled "Were the Patriots in charge of the Steelers' communication system?" and then notice the answer "NO."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/12/coaches-say-headset-problems-happen-often-outside-new-england/

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/11/9309529/steelers-patriots-headsets-mike-tomlin-bill-belichick-headsetgate-deflategate-spygate

Research is hard.

All you seem interested in doing is regurgitating OPINIONS you heard from people like Max Kellerman, Rob Parker, etc (who say things to make headlines) without actually looking into it to make sure it's actually accurate. Yes of course ESPN has its sources. NO KIDDING. The point is that they seem to very often be unreliable. Taking what you hear on ESPN and never questioning anything in order to form your own opinion isn't how I prefer to operate but hey, if that's you, go for it. These reasons cause me to have no interest in talking football with you, so I'd say that's what is "preventing me from doing so".

My exchange with you on this topic ends now.

Edited by ThreadKiller

During the game, Tafoya reported the Patriots were, in fact, forced to stop using their headsets while the Steelers' units were down. However, the Steelers' website says every time the Pats never got their gear taken away, because the Steelers' stuff always suspiciously kicked back into action right before the Pats would've been punished.

Instead, New England apparently maintained all communications while Pittsburgh's issues were being investigated. The source added that as late as the team leaving the stadium, the Steelers still hadn't been provided an answer for why the Patriots were allowed to continue their communications, rather than both simply being shut down to fix the issue. Pittsburgh will file a complaint with the league office on both fronts - the equipment failure and officials not turning off headsets on both sidelines, the source said.

This is exactly why I have most NE fans on ignore. What has the world come to when I never have to ignore Cowboys fans on this forum?

1 hour ago, devaster said:

This is exactly why I have most NE fans on ignore. What has the world come to when I never have to ignore Cowboys fans on this forum?

Yeah. God forbid we talk about anything other than “Omg they got a first down, they just be cheating!”.

Best part of it, is that you claim to put Pats fans on ignore and can’t stand them, yet you (and others) go to threads on an internet message board where they would be just to tell them and whoever you think wants to listen how much you hate them and the team they root for. Ah, the irony.

Advice: Hate the Patriots? Don’t like the Rams? Find something better to do than spend time on an Internet forum telling strangers how much they and the team they root for suck. Just an idea.

Edited by ThreadKiller

5 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

"The first link illustrates how headset malfunctions happen in every stadium. In the 2nd link, notice the part labeled "Were the Patriots in charge of the Steelers' communication system?" and then notice the answer "NO." ... My exchange with you on this topic ends now."

Your first point, I've already addressed & the source you provided confirms as much. I've also addressed your 2nd point, but here are two separate reports that corroborate one another:

"Based on our review to date, we believe that the audio interference on Steelers’ headsets last night was entirely attributable to an electrical issue made worse by the inclement weather; that it involved no manipulation by any individual; and that the Patriots had nothing to do with it."   https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2015/09/11/website-headsets-game-operations-patriots-pittsburgh-new-england-mike-tomlin/72064822/

An official statement, note the part I emphasized, we believe. Not, we troubleshooted & we resolved the matter, thus we determined... League personnel pressing the talk/don't talk key simply defer to whoever does resolve any given technical issue. Well, who would that be?  

"The NFL and its corporate sponsors, primarily Bose and Microsoft, provide the hardware and other equipment necessary to maintain communications for both systems. But as with any system, power and infrastructure are part of the stadiums, which are run by teams and/or government landlords. Gillette Stadium is owned and operated by the Kraft Group." http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/178579/malfunctioning-headsets-are-common-but-timing-couldnt-be-worse

The league official operating the communications system doesn't have anything to do with determining or resolving any given issue. That would be the company hired to provide that service, obviously on Bob Kraft's payroll. There's also what your own source says:

"Bose sends 50 headsets to every stadium and home teams are supposed to provide equipment for visiting teams, as the league's gameday manual states that home teams are aware for installing and maintaining these systems. Many NFL teams choose to bring their own headsets to avoid fishiness, but they'd still have to use that headset on the communication system set up by the home team."

Now, the word "aware" is obviously a misprint. What your source means to say is just what the others do, home teams are responsible "for installing and maintaining these systems." 

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

Your first point, I've already addressed & the source you provided confirms as much. I've also addressed your 2nd point, but here are two separate reports that corroborate one another:

An official statement, note the part I emphasized, we believe. Not, we troubleshooted & we resolved the matter, thus we determined... League personnel pressing the talk/don't talk key simply defer to whoever does resolve any given technical issue. Well, who would that be?  

The league official operating the communications system doesn't have anything to do with determining or resolving any given issue. That would be the company hired to provide that service, obviously on Bob Kraft's payroll. There's also what your own source says:

"Bose sends 50 headsets to every stadium and home teams are supposed to provide equipment for visiting teams, as the league's gameday manual states that home teams are aware for installing and maintaining these systems. Many NFL teams choose to bring their own headsets to avoid fishiness, but they'd still have to use that headset on the communication system set up by the home team."

Now, the word "aware" is obviously a misprint. What your source means to say is just what the others do, home teams are responsible "for installing and maintaining these systems." 

Looks like you spent some time typing all that out despite my saying I wasn’t interested in a response. Certainly you know that I won’t be reading it.

Cheers.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Haha 1