Sign in to follow this  
swfcdan

Mike Foltynewicz 2019 Outlook

What are you guys expecting at PIT tomorrow ?

Curious who thinks he's a good start and might get back on track, gets them again next week too. 

1 minute ago, tonywow said:

What are you guys expecting at PIT tomorrow ?

Curious who thinks he's a good start and might get back on track, gets them again next week too. 

🙋‍♂️

It's def a real barometer start...he has not been good v PIT in his career (6.88 ERA in 17+IP)...but the renewed appearance of his slider and velo ticking up with each start gives me some optimism. You gotta be able to play him in these types of matches.

• Like 1

From the great stats St. Steven has been breaking down for us each start he appears to be pitching well overall, just getting into trouble coughing up homers. I'm more encouraged than not going ahead, he's not going to give up 2 HR's a game ROS. He had gone on some crazy stingy stretches last season, if he cuts down on the HR's seems he could darn solid ROS. As far as next time out unfortunately PIT has been hitting the ball well for a while, might not be a gem but we'll see if he limits the HR's. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Slimzy17 said:

Anyone watch his last start?  How did he look?

Basically one bad inning did him in...otherwise very impressive and chart continues to trend upward:

FB- continues to gain steam, averaged a new high of almost 97 MPH, topping at 99! threw 37--23 strikes with 15 swings and 5 whiffs, sweet vert action

SI- also a hair under 97 MPH with good movement, threw 25--14 strikes with 13 swings and 2 whiffers

SL- very encouraging usage but still honing in the command, sat 88 MPH, threw 22--12 strikes with 10 swings and 4 whiffs

CH- looks better and better too, sat 89 MPH, tossed 10--10 strikes with 9 cuts on it and 4 whiffs

CU- only spun up 5 with good shape to it, 2 strikes and 1 cut...compliments all the vert stuff with good horizontal sweep and speed also helps velo spectrum at 83 MPH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Yahoo has some guys as “can not drop”.  They should make this guy “can not pick up” ...you know just in case he “finds his command and increases his velocity.”

• Haha 4

you all should have sold high after that one good start with increased velo

Posted (edited)

damn [...] He was so good last year, and his offense is one of the best in the league for run support.

I've only seen him pitch one game, so this trade was a roll of the dice.  His fastball looked to be sitting at 93mph.  Last year, I remember him throwing mid-high 90's so has he been consistently throwing softer than previous years?  Does anyone think there are physical issues causing these poor outings?  Give me some thoughts, guys.  I wanna hold him while he gets his sh!t together in the minors, but if he can't reach 96mph on his fastball, then his outlook is not real good ROS.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

17 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

damn [...] He was so good last year, and his offense is one of the best in the league for run support.

I've only seen him pitch one game, so this trade was a roll of the dice.  His fastball looked to be sitting at 93mph.  Last year, I remember him throwing mid-high 90's so has he been consistently throwing softer than previous years?  Does anyone think there are physical issues causing these poor outings?  Give me some thoughts, guys.  I wanna hold him while he gets his sh!t together in the minors, but if he can't reach 96mph on his fastball, then his outlook is not real good ROS.

A LOT of his problems are in his head. The guy has the mental fortitude of a taco. if you don’t watch him pitch much, you can visably see him mentally implode the second a call doesn’t go his way. Snitker even commented on this. I think he needs to see a sports psychologist. His injury at the beginning of the year is definitely another factor in everything imo but who knows how much. Hopefully he’ll go work his s--- out in AAA, but at this point as a Braves fan, I’m happy to see some other guys get an opportunity 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FritzLn said:

you all should have sold high after that one good start with increased velo

The only people paying attention to his velo were his owners. And even then, numbers looked bad. Nobody is buying that.

"If his velo is up, why don't you want him after holding all this time?"

Edited by street sharks

@DOBrienATL
12h12 hours ago
More
#Braves' Snitker on Folty's emotions getting best of him: “I thought he had turned a corner, but I’m seeing signs this year of going right back where he was 2 or 3 years ago. It’s something that he going to have to (fix), because nobody can take care of that other than him."

David O'Brien

Verified account

@DOBrienATL
12m12 minutes ago
More
#Braves pitching coach Rick Kranitz on emotions affecting Foltynewicz on mound: "I think it affects anybody, when you get overemotional and you start to overthrow and you do get out of your mechanics. Every pitcher in the game needs to be able to keep emotions in check.”

4 hours ago, ghostdragon said:

Any ideas on who replaces him?

I think they’ll try Bryce Wilson first 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

The only people paying attention to his velo were his owners. And even then, numbers looked bad. Nobody is buying that.

"If his velo is up, why don't you want him after holding all this time?"

I wasnt an owner,but he was on waivers.  I read somewhere that he is one of the pitchers that needs his velo more than anyone else.  After seeing on this forum that his velo was back and that he regained command of his secondary pitches,i chuckled at my good fortune and grabbed him.  Being prepared and researching is killing me this year.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I think they’ll try Bryce Wilson first 

Yeah he has been pitching mostly pretty well for a month now (in AAA)...he's been a tad homer prone but his stuff is plenty good...he's had exactly 7K in last 4 starts

Got to imagine the plan is to get him back into the rotation after some MiLB starts to get his head clear and attitude straightened out. He had a few starts that were brutal but on the whole was serviceable in most of his starts. 

1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

Trash.

Great insights. This guy will be back up and in the rotation once he gets his temper under control. They’ve got some great young arms but need another veteran who will eat up innings. You have to look at it from a Managers and GM’s perspective where they need this guy to get back to what he was last year. They’re not just looking to take the next man up and move on from the time they have invested in him. He’s much more of a known commodity going into the second half and the playoffs and has the arm to give them 200 innings. Fried and Soroka are likely to get capped at some point so adding more young arms isn’t the most desirable gameplan. I’d say Foltynewicz has 2-3 more starts in Gwinnett and gets the call if he continues to be solid. They can’t afford to bail on a 2018 all-star who can help them pitch into the postseason. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Great insights. This guy will be back up and in the rotation once he gets his temper under control. They’ve got some great young arms but need another veteran who will eat up innings. You have to look at it from a Managers and GM’s perspective where they need this guy to get back to what he was last year. They’re not just looking to take the next man up and move on from the time they have invested in him. He’s much more of a known commodity going into the second half and the playoffs and has the arm to give them 200 innings. Fried and Soroka are likely to get capped at some point so adding more young arms isn’t the most desirable gameplan. I’d say Foltynewicz has 2-3 more starts in Gwinnett and gets the call if he continues to be solid. They can’t afford to bail on a 2018 all-star who can help them pitch into the postseason. 

K. I will be here waiting.

• Haha 1