Under500Forever

Danny Jansen 2019 Outlook

What do you guys think of Danny Jansen heading into 2019?

The Jays shipped Russell Martin off to the Dodgers and it looks like DJ will be the starting catcher this year. He’s popping up on a few sleeper lists I’ve seen.

.260/.340/15 homers seems like a decent projection for him. He has the ability to take a walk so He gets a boost in OBP leagues. 

• Like 1

If you are punting catchers, as good as any to roll the dice on.  I suppose there is upside, but I'm probably not reaching for him.  Might be a little less likely to be a BA drain as some, but not as much HR boost as others.  I did pick him up in a keep 10 keeper league where we also keep 10 prospects so I don't have to worry about catcher in the draft.  

12 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

What do you guys think of Danny Jansen heading into 2019?

The Jays shipped Russell Martin off to the Dodgers and it looks like DJ will be the starting catcher this year. He’s popping up on a few sleeper lists I’ve seen.

.260/.340/15 homers seems like a decent projection for him. He has the ability to take a walk so He gets a boost in OBP leagues. 

A must have and taken in all dynasty leagues too.  Best of the younger prospect (last year) catchers for hitting though obviously not top tier as none of them are yet but he is only 24 years old and should get better.

Since he still qualifies as a "prospect" despite being up last year he is listed as the number one catcher at respected prospect site Imaginary Wall:

Excellent contact percentage-launch angle combo whose exit velocities don’t jump off the page but generates power with quality contact. Jansen could be one of the better hitting catchers in short order.  2019 Projection: Prime Projection: 64/21/73/.273/.351/.463/6

That's Runs, HRs, RBIs, the .273 average followed by OBP and Slugging then Steals in that projected stat line.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3

On 1/22/2019 at 1:06 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Excellent contact percentage-launch angle combo whose exit velocities don’t jump off the page but generates power with quality contact. Jansen could be one of the better hitting catchers in short order.  2019 Projection: Prime Projection: 64/21/73/.273/.351/.463/6

That would be an insane line and easily a top 3 catcher year. I'm not so sure he will do that but he's definitely on my catcher list. Should be pretty cheap still.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:08 PM, Sidearmer said:

That would be an insane line and easily a top 3 catcher year. I'm not so sure he will do that but he's definitely on my catcher list. Should be pretty cheap still.

Mine too.

Traded away Gary Sanchez in my keeper league last year and obviously I'm back to actually drafting catchers again.  I plan on skipping the position and drafting Jansen whenever I feel the time is right.  While that line may be a bit high, I don't think it's unreasonable.  At least for his ceiling.

That line was his Prime Projection so that may come in a couple of years.

for now I think he can hit 15 bombs with a decent average/OBP