ThreadKiller

Cody Bellinger 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, mevins31 said:

One thing I remember him telling me is rookie year Bellinger would return. I asked who would breakout on the 2019 dodgers. He jumped right out with it. He said he was going to be a monster. Cody didn’t have a good spring really. So this is odd but Brant said that his swing was rebuilt from the ground up. If you remember last year, he had kind of a tennis racket non aggressive defensive swing.

the biggest difference I see, he’s back to truly owning lefties. Like his rookie year. He doesn’t care lefty or righty he is squaring hittable pitches. Confidence at an all time high and sky is the limit 

Thank you for that.

#myfavplayer

• Like 1

He’s pretty awesome. His ceiling is just otherworldly. 

Bellinger batting 6th??? Smh Dave Roberts leave your stud cemented in the 3rd or 4th spot, and btw hes batting better than both freese and seager vs left handed pitching so far crushing Josh Hader just last game lol makes no sense.

• Like 1

Your initial reaction is probably to think it doesn't matter. But I will say that being relegated to the 6th spot because a lefty is on the mound can't be good for his psyche.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Del Rio said:

Roberts man, what a moron.

As a Dodgers Fan, Roberts is frustrating beyond belief.

Bet Roberts is the Maddon equivalent for us Cubbies. Madness he is still moving Bellinger around. Not only did he do in Hader the other day, but he also crushed Mad Bum for a GS a few weeks ago.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjohns said:

Bet Roberts is the Maddon equivalent for us Cubbies. Madness he is still moving Bellinger around. Not only did he do in Hader the other day, but he also crushed Mad Bum for a GS a few weeks ago.

I just believe your best hitter should bat 2nd or 3rd in the lineup. IMO

17 hours ago, lavaman said:

I just believe your best hitter should bat 2nd or 3rd in the lineup. IMO

Why 3rd? The three spot is overrated.

2nd or 4th.

6 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Why 3rd? The three spot is overrated.

2nd or 4th.

You want to get your best player as many AB's as possible, no? 4th is good too for the RBI knocks.

Posted (edited)

No, according to Dave Roberts the best player should bat sixth, and sometimes fourth, and other days 5th, and randomly second and hmm why not third? 

2: 2 times

3: 3 times

4: 10 times

5: 3 times

6: 5 times

7: 1 time

Keep him firmly at the 4 spot, is it so much to ask? 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by Marcus Anthony
  • Like 1

I don’t understand why they can’t just leave this guy alone. 

On 4/24/2019 at 6:21 PM, lavaman said:

You want to get your best player as many AB's as possible, no? 4th is good too for the RBI knocks.

The theory is that the guy batting 3rd too often bats in the first inning with two outs and no one on base.

The cleanup hitter, on the other hand, either bats with at least one runner on in the first inning or leads off the second inning. Far superior imo.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

The theory is that the guy batting 3rd too often bats in the first inning with two outs and no one on base.

The cleanup hitter, on the other hand, either bats with at least one runner on in the first inning or leads off the second inning. Far superior imo.

Not if everything works like the draw it up on paper. Your 2 best contact hitters are supposed to be the guys batting 1 and 2. And your best hitter is supposed to be batting #3. The Top 3 hitters on the team are setup to receive 4 maybe 5 plate appearances most games. The later you hit in the lineup the less plate appearances. 

I do agree that we are splitting hairs here comparing the 3 spot to the 4th spot but traditionally people have held the 3 spot in a higher regard then the 4th spot.  

5 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

Not if everything works like the draw it up on paper. Your 2 best contact hitters are supposed to be the guys batting 1 and 2. And your best hitter is supposed to be batting #3. The Top 3 hitters on the team are setup to receive 4 maybe 5 plate appearances most games. The later you hit in the lineup the less plate appearances. 

I do agree that we are splitting hairs here comparing the 3 spot to the 4th spot but traditionally people have held the 3 spot in a higher regard then the 4th spot.  

Another area where data has trumped tradition.  We don't sacrifice the 2 guy anymore.  Ultimately,  that's where i wish they would put him.  I'll take 4 though.  6 is pure nonsense

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2019 at 11:03 PM, mevins31 said:

If someone wouldn’t move Betts for him in a heartbeat they should not be playing. Mookie doesn’t have this ceiling. Not sure Altuve does anymore either 

On 4/21/2019 at 11:03 PM, mevins31 said:

If someone wouldn’t move Betts for him in a heartbeat they should not be playing. Mookie doesn’t have this ceiling. Not sure Altuve does anymore either 

Bellinger has an unsustainable BABIP that’s a 100 points above normal, a HR/FB% that’s double the sustainable level. His ceiling is nowhere near Betts or Trout. He‘s not even as valuable as Story, who is a better power hitter who will steal more bases. Anyone who thinks this guy is a stud after such a small sample size, is the one who needs to rethink playing fantasy seriously. Did you know he’s actually hitting less fly balls annually since 2017.

Edited by Thenewwildone8
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Bellinger has an unsustainable BABIP that’s a 100 points above normal, a HR/FB% that’s double the sustainable level. His ceiling is nowhere near Betts or Trout. He‘s not even as valuable as Story, who is a better power hitter who will steal more bases. Anyone who thinks this guy is a stud after such a small sample size, is the one who needs to rethink playing fantasy seriously. Did you know he’s actually hitting less fly balls annually since 2017.

Did you mean to post this the moment after he hit his 14th HR cementing the greatest April in MLB history?

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 11:22 PM, mevins31 said:

He’s pretty awesome. His ceiling is just otherworldly. 

LOL no it’s not. He’s a guy going through an unsustainable hot streak over a tiny sample size. He’s a streaky power hitter with some speed. It’s silly to expect an average over .300 or over 15 SB‘s. He’s this year‘s 2018 Didi from the first month of the season.

• Haha 2

No regular visitor to these forums thinks a .382 BABIP or 41.9% HR/FB is going to last all season.  The question is what kind of player do we think he'll be after he cools off from the scorching start, and he showed more than enough in his minor league career and first two seasons in the bigs to make any comparison with Didi Gregrious unworthy of a serious response.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like people don't think he's gonna hit 81 HRs.  BABIP, shmaBIP.  Keep crushing it Cody!  :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Yceman1234 said:

Sounds like people don't think he's gonna hit 81 HRs.  BABIP, shmaBIP.  Keep crushing it Cody!  :)

He'll be at 81 by August. The real question is if can get his average up over .500 ROS

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

LOL no it’s not. He’s a guy going through an unsustainable hot streak over a tiny sample size. He’s a streaky power hitter with some speed. It’s silly to expect an average over .300 or over 15 SB‘s. He’s this year‘s 2018 Didi from the first month of the season.

Okay. He is better than Michael conforto though. Also he hit 39 as a rookie. I think 45 is within reach. His ceiling is League MVP, however you want to tally that up. 

Edited by mevins31

I know I've brought this up before but man we could get a haul for this guy via trade right now.

Still haven't heard from anyone if they've traded him for a haul like Goldshmidt and Syndegaard, or Alonso and Albies or Hoskins and Benetendi.  Throwing in an overachieving SP like Quintana could help seal the deal on a monster return.

Is everyone just holding on with hopes of an MVP season?  If he comes back down to earth, and still hits .275 with 40/15, we might wish we had a Goldshidt with similar numbers plus a pitcher or young asset who is on their way to being a top player in baseball.