Sign in to follow this  
Ecofolux

Jose Berrios 2019 Outlook

In his sophomore year he lowered his BB/9 slightly and raised his K/9 by almost a full strikeout, backed by his SwStr% increase (9.4 to11.2). Threw 192.1 innings last year and he's still only 24. Looks like he can throw 200 innings next year and there still seems to be BB/9 upside given his minor league track record. 

That was the good, now here's the bad:

I was all on board with this guy for 2019 but then I saw what he did in August/September. He totally lost all control and BB/9 of 4.7+  :o   ERA/FIP/XFIP were all garbage

Was he just getting tired down the stretch? Anyone Twins fans/owners have some insight into Berrios?

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

im a fan still

targeting him for SP3

Same.  I think he tired a bit towards the end of the season and look for him to take a step forward this year.

3 hours ago, svdude said:

Same.  I think he tired a bit towards the end of the season and look for him to take a step forward this year.

Twins should be better, which should hopefully increase his win total. Top 20 SP this year.

He's the guy in that third tier of rankings who I think could push into the upper echelon.  He was throwing gems at times last year, but seemed like he ran out of gas.  

• Like 1

I think he is being overvalued myself. owners thinking they are going to get a sub 3.5 will be disappointed.

Now I like him, he just gets a little too much of the plate right now and tinkers a bit too much to justify where I see him going, which is about 30-35 picks to rich for me.

• Like 1

Could be in line for a big breakout. Coming into his 3rd full year which is a prime time to grab an SP. Too many guys hop over big name rookie SPs in their first year when they still have a ton of growing pains ahead of them. 90% of them need a couple seasons before they hit their stride. This is it for Berrios. 

• Like 1

I'm not convinced on this one. He was very frustrating to own/watch... he only has two pitches, right? 

Yup a two pitch pitchers who beats up on his own division and gets rocked by good offenses. Always will be a middle kf the pack arm to me until he develops secondary pitches. 

1 minute ago, chud12 said:

Yup a two pitch pitchers who beats up on his own division and gets rocked by good offenses. Always will be a middle kf the pack arm to me until he develops secondary pitches. 

Also, his ADP isn't friendly at all.

This guy is going for $18 +/- 2 in Yahoo auctions. For reference, Clevinger, Flaherty, Corbin, Tailon and a few others are all in that same range. No chance I take Berrios. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

This guy is going for $18 +/- 2 in Yahoo auctions. For reference, Clevinger, Flaherty, Corbin, Tailon and a few others are all in that same range. No chance I take Berrios. 

This is the biggest factor for me. That's the cluster of pitchers I'm looking at for my SP2 and there are at least 3-4 guys I want more at that price. 

8 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Wow, didn't realize that Berrios' ADP  has been pumped up that much. I'd rather have all those guys over him and it's not really close for me.

should anything be made about Berrios BB9 in the 2nd half?

1.56 BB/9 and 1.85 BB/9 in April/May.

2.56 BB/9 in both June and July.

4.74 BB/9 and 4.71 BB/9 in August and September.

What are folks seeing with regards to Berrios's change up? Anybody hear any chatter or catch any games? Nothing impressive from his ST line thus far so I'm guessing he's working heavily on a 3rd-4th pitch.

Good young pitcher bit I'm not sold. Not touching him at current ADP as I don't think he breaks top 20 SP. Way to inconsistent and not a good enough arsenal to really dig in. I trade in my dynasty leagues almost for name value alone, not stats.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

Wow no love, he was a stud today. Keep it up. 

I’m still boned up.  He was straight filthy.  Naquin hard charging 3 hitter or not lead lineup, his changeup was dirty.  There’s legit top 10 bustout potential here given division full of bums and his arsenal/command of all pitches.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The question is how often he threw the changeup, and the number of swinging strikes that pitch drew. He's not a different pitcher if the Ks were mostly a result of his curve and fastball.

Edited by UberRebel

38 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

The question is how often he threw the changeup, and the number of swinging strikes that pitch drew. He's not a different pitcher if the Ks were mostly a result of his curve and fastball.

10 swing and misses on changeup.  4th most on a pitch for the day.  

14 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

10 swing and misses on changeup.  4th most on a pitch for the day.  

I like this a lot.

Sadly looked much worse today.  Just couldn’t generate many misses.  A lot of loud contact.  Don’t feel super comfortable starting against Philly at this point but I likely will. 

Still struggling on the road.  2H of last year he was unstartable away from Home

Posted (edited)

Disgraceful.  15-0 lead and can’t even get through 5th to get the win.  Overreactions aside his secondary pitches still blow.  Would he very shocked if he ends with better numbers than last year.  I can’t see any major breakthrough with current arsenal.  His stuff is blah. 

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1