Sign in to follow this  
osb_tensor

Baseball Prospectus 2019 Top 101 Prospects

Just my .02 but I hardly even skim their content, it used to be on par with BA, Klaw etc, but it's has just gone totally downhill last few years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Just my .02 but I hardly even skim their content, it used to be on par with BA, Klaw etc, but it's has just gone totally downhill last few years.

Couldn't disagree more.

I like their content and opinions far more than Law. It's different from BA for a number of reasons, but I don't think it's any better or worse.

• Like 1

There are a lot of “look at me” rankings and omissions here, so I guess I’ve been lured into listening to the podcast.  I don’t even mind the ridiculously high Jo Adell ranking that much

14 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I think BP has gone down hill recently but this list isn’t crazy. This is one of their better pieces in recent years in my opinion.

Adell at 2 is odd but I see what they’re doing there with his tools.

Dustin May at 27 is high

I don’t trust Seuly Matias to put him in my top 100. Has the Pedro Cerrano feel.

• Like 2

I prefer their fantasy 101 that typically comes out a few weeks later given that's it's more geared towards our collective needs. As far as general content goes, I can barely peruse it anymore since the majority of relevant analysis went behind a paywall.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dark One said:

I prefer their fantasy 101 that typically comes out a few weeks later given that's it's more geared towards our collective needs. As far as general content goes, I can barely peruse it anymore since the majority of relevant analysis went behind a paywall.

Yeah Sayre I think is still their fantasy/dynasty guy? One of the few holdovers, but like you said it tough to read much of anything besides simple lists because of paywall protections. Shoot, BA has basically done the same thing and you can't even see the list...there is too much good free content (pipeline, IBW, old minorleagueball/sickels, etc) for me to justify doing a sub to either again. IF I did it would certainly be BA before BP. I do pay for Klaw but a bunch of other stuff comes with it too. Pipeline might actually be the best and it's totally free.

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Yeah why should I pay a dime when The Imaginary Wall is free and far better.

• Like 1

I laughed at: Nick Senzel, 3B/2B/SS?/OF?, Cincinnati Reds

I have Senzel in my dynasty league, and every other month I'm trying to figure out where I should be slotting him in.

• Like 1

I like espn k law

Rotowire james Anderson 

Ya, since they lost Kevin Goldstein and then later Jason Parks it really has not had the same prospect content.  I can't speak to the other articles, because I'm more interested in prospects, but it has lost a lot of appeal.  Every list has it's own take, but I don't see how you include Tejeda at 83 and Seuly Matias at 52, but don't even include Gavin Lux.  I agree with someone above, think a lot of this is 'look at me'.

16 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

I like espn k law

Rotowire james Anderson 

Law is a turd, have yet to see him step out on a limb and miss yet back up his thoughts

Yeah BP just isn't the same anymore since Parks left....though as another poster said, their fantasy top 101 is probably the list to look at rather than this one

6 hours ago, Coach George said:

I think BP has gone down hill recently but this list isn’t crazy. This is one of their better pieces in recent years in my opinion.

Adell at 2 is odd but I see what they’re doing there with his tools.

Dustin May at 27 is high

I don’t trust Seuly Matias to put him in my top 100. Has the Pedro Cerrano feel.

To be fair, on their mid-season list Adell was 3, May was 37 and Seuly 41. So not much changed with their bullishness on those prospects. Just some perspective on maybe why they ended up where they did.

• Like 2

Anyone else high on Oviedo? Has the starter body and at least 3 pitches that project as plus. I trust Cleveland’s development as well

I don't see the May ranking as egregious at all. BP gave him multiple in-person write-ups throughout the year and multiple guys thought he looked legit, and the results matched the reports to boot. Honestly, those looks are one of the best reasons to pay for content; the free sites can't do that. Hell, Sickels got mentioned above and his site got shut down. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Would you guys feel better if every list was exactly the same?

To be clear, as far as my post was concerned the list is fine.  There will always be some discrepancy between certain players, so issue there from me.  I do find, however, that BP has increasingly in recent years taken a more aggressive approach with their rankings, which the poster above noted is more "look at me" mentality.  That's been my impression of their list and the 'newer' prospect guys on the site as a whole since they lost KG and Jason Parks.  Having listened to their Podcasts, that's my sense of them as well.  Maybe it's a generational thing.  

• Like 1

I really want to listen to the BP top 101 podcast but I just cannot stand Jarret Seidler's voice. It's brutal

• Like 2

I think their site is much more focused on fantasy/dynasty leagues than sites like BA and ESPN.  They have stated that they weigh upside more which makes sense for fantasy.  In my minor leaguers I'm not looking for replacement level I can easily get that in my auction.  I'm looking for potential stars that I can hold onto. Adell and Matias are good examples of that.  Right now Matias has a ton of swing and miss but if he can cut down his strikeout rate he has the potential to be an absolute monster.  As far as May I've seen him high  on a couple of lists now so I don't think this is much of an outlier.  I really like their dynasty 101 list with the potential earnings of each player.  I also like the way they do the positional rankings with separate lists for tiers, 3 year and dynasty rankings.  They also have the adjuster articles that take into account OBP for leagues that use it.  The player forecast manager is great too as it allows you to get dollar values customized for your league.  All in all I have found their content to be worth it.

• Like 1

With all of these lists, you’re going to have your mega stars and your really good prospects.  Then prospects 50-200 you can almost pull out of a hat.

whats a better projection on this list:  Dustin May becoming the 40th best player or Vlad Guerrero being the best?  

Probably Dustin May.  I welcome some outlying and bold opinions.  I think too often rankings are “safe”.

29 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

whats a better projection on this list:  Dustin May becoming the 40th best player or Vlad Guerrero being the best?  

I think Vlad has a better chance to land exactly on being the #1 player than May does on landing on being exactly the 40th best player.  If you mean top 40 vs top 1, sure, but that gives May 40 chances versus 1.

Unless I'm misreading.

• Like 1

Keith Law doesn't seem to think much of BP's rankings.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2019/01/24/klawchat-1-24-19/

Marshall MN: KLaw, I was just perusing the Baseball Prospectus Top 100, just curious do you ever look at those lists? Not necessarily as a check on your work but just to see how other writers/analysts rank prospects?

Keith Law: I look at BA’s (came out yesterday), MLB’s (comes out Saturday), and Fangraphs’ (comes out after the Super Bowl, date TBD). Those are the only lists I find credible, and I believe that is the industry sentiment. Jonathan Mayo and I generally compare our lists once they’re published, too. It’s fun to see what we heard that lined up and what we heard that widely differed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think Vlad has a better chance to land exactly on being the #1 player than May does on landing on being exactly the 40th best player.  If you mean top 40 vs top 1, sure, but that gives May 40 chances versus 1.

Unless I'm misreading.

These rankings are what?  Predictions on how good a prospect will be?  Potential?  What the list is can be subjective...

Anyways, what is a better prediction?  Vlad becoming exactly the best prospect on the list when every other list on the planet has him at #1 or...

May becoming the 40th best prospect on the list, which is lower than 27th but higher than nearly every other list on the planet.  I'd argue that it's May.  

I would not argue with you that Vlad has a better chance at 1 than May at top 40, but that's not really a bold prediction.  I like seeing different opinions. I guess it's like saying, what was the better pick, picking Trout at 1.1 or nailing that sleeper wanted in the 10th round?  You saw the guy as a 4th round value when nobody else did.

Unfortunately we won't know the answer until years and years down the road and this list has long since been forgotten.  

Unrelated, I reeeeally like Jo Adell.  Fantasy wise, I would have him behind Vlad, Eloy, Robles, maybe Tatis?  That's about it.  

• Like 1