BostonCajun

Aaron Nola 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, FootballFan101 said:

I got Nola for Odorizzi in one league this week.  I don't view Nola as an ace (his 2018 numbers were the result of an incredibly lucky BABIP), but I'm hopeful he can return to 2017 level with a ERA of around 3.50 and a WHIP around 1.20 for the rest of the season.

He sure looks like an Ace today. 

• Like 1

Until they put him in at 100 pitches in the 7th lol cmon man. He finally has a good game, don’t bruise his confidence 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Still allowed an awful lot of base runners today, as he has all season.  With the trade I made, I'm crossing my fingers that Nola can return to his 2017 level.

Edited by FootballFan101

Pitched his a** off today. Kapler left him in two batters too long.

3 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Still allowed an awful lot of base runners today, as he has all season.  With the trade I made, I'm crossing my fingers that Nola can return to his 2017 level.

The Rockies are not an easy lineup, he was impressive today 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I mean it was the Rockies. At some point you just gotta give him props without looking for the negatives. I've seen at least part of every start this year, this is the closest he's looked to what he was last year. He was getting the first pitch strikes, struck out twelve in six innings, had command over his fastball and bite to his curve. Got out of jams and most of the contact wasn't hard enough to do much damage.

There's been plenty to criticize him of this year. There was really nothing to dissect in this game though, he had a good showing today. 

• Like 1

In line for the W now. Just hope Kapler doesn’t get too cute with the bullpen.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, phillyphan21 said:

I mean it was the Rockies. At some point you just gotta give him props without looking for the negatives. I've seen at least part of every start this year, this is the closest he's looked to what he was last year. He was getting the first pitch strikes, struck out twelve in six innings, had command over his fastball and bite to his curve. Got out of jams and most of the contact wasn't hard enough to do much damage.

There's been plenty to criticize him of this year. There was really nothing to dissect in this game though, he had a good showing today. 

Despite the mediocre WHIP, I agree he looked good tonight, the best he's looked all year.  As I said in a post earlier this week, while I thought Nola was overvalued in the preseason, I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way now where he's a good buy and I was able to get him in exchange for Odorizzi in a money league on Tuesday.  So believe me, I hope does well the rest of the year and today's start makes me feel better about the trade.  That said, I feel Nola's 2017 numbers is the realistic hope, not his 2018 numbers.  I didn't consider Nola a top 10 pitcher in the preseason and I certainly don't now either, even with today's impressive start.  

Edited by FootballFan101

58 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Despite the mediocre WHIP, I agree he looked good tonight, the best he's looked all year.  As I said in a post earlier this week, while I thought Nola was overvalued in the preseason, I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way now where he's a good buy and I was able to get him in exchange for Odorizzi in a money league on Tuesday.  So believe me, I hope does well the rest of the year and today's start makes me feel better about the trade.  That said, I feel Nola's 2017 numbers is the realistic hope, not his 2018 numbers.  I didn't consider Nola a top 10 pitcher in the preseason and I certainly don't now either, even with today's impressive start.  

Did Nola bang your gf/wife or something? what are you going on about all the time?

Who said he was top 10? 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

WHIP is fine over the course of a season but isn't great when judging individual starts. Sometimes balls put in play just find gaps. I could see today's exact performance yielding three or four hits for example, he was on point with his pitches and looked excellent.

Also to the top ten comments, yes probably not this season at this point. But two of the three sabermetric guys on mlb network's top ten show had Nola on their top ten coming into the season. I'd be willing to bet they can parse through the stats better than either of us. Part of the reason he was looked at so highly coming into the season was that his statcast numbers 2018 were great, with expected stats very close to his actual stats. Anyway kinda digressed more than I meant to, I can see top ten ROS but not top ten overall at this point. 

Edited by phillyphan21

5 minutes ago, roadawg said:

Did Nola bang your gf/wife or something? what are you going on about all the time?

Who said he was top 10? 

I mean he was one of the first ten pitchers off pretty much every draft board. He probably won't finish there at this point but he was drafted as a SP1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reichl555 said:

No he didn't. The K's were nice, but he allowed 9 baserunners in just 6 ip. He was extremely fortunate to allow only the 1 run.

23 minutes ago, roadawg said:

Who said he was top 10? 

His ADP

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cs3 said:

No he didn't. The K's were nice, but he allowed 9 baserunners in just 6 ip. He was extremely fortunate to allow only the 1 run.

He should have never came back out for the 7th where he gave up 2 hits and an earned run.  Other than that he did not get in trouble all game long. 

• Like 2

His curve and location were on. He was gassed from K'ing so much today. ACE.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reichl555 said:

He should have never came back out for the 7th where he gave up 2 hits and an earned run.  Other than that he did not get in trouble all game long. 

So aces only go 6 innings at a time? Give me a break. If he didn't go back in the 7th people here would be whining "zomg why did his manager give him the hook so early! He couldve thrown the CGSO!!!"

No matter how you look at it, hes been allowing too many base runners to be anywhere near a fantasy ace

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

His ADP

Snakes are for sissies.

Auctions are the way to go. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So aces only go 6 innings at a time? Give me a break. If he didn't go back in the 7th people here would be whining "zomg why did his manager give him the hook so early! He couldve thrown the CGSO!!!"

No matter how you look at it, hes been allowing too many base runners to be anywhere near a fantasy ace

I mean he's still a step or two away from what he was last year, but having watched at least some of every start today was the absolute best he's looked all year. I get he scattered some hits but his fastball command is back, his curveball had bite, and he was throwing first pitch strikes. Also did a good job of getting out of jams, including the one hit early on that really should have been an error on Franco. 

Yes he let few more guys on base than I'd have liked, but it was still a huge step in the right direction. Remember there's a lot of luck to a batted ball falling for a hit, he induced grounders and struck guys out when he needed to. Overall it was a fine start and I'd classify it as a 'bad' start for an ace if anything. Still remains to be seen if he builds on this but anyone who watched him pitch today should be happy with what they saw. 

Edited by phillyphan21

Nobody, including me, is arguing that today was not a step in the right direction and a better outing than what he's been showing so far this year. The guy I quoted, and another poster or two, said he looked like an ace, which is what I disagree with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dislimb said:

Snakes are for sissies.

I'm in two auction leagues and in both Nola was one of the 10 highest bid pitchers in both

1 hour ago, phillyphan21 said:

I mean he's still a step or two away from what he was last year, but having watched at least some of every start today was the absolute best he's looked all year. I get he scattered some hits but his fastball command is back, his curveball had bite, and he was throwing first pitch strikes. Also did a good job of getting out of jams, including the one hit early on that really should have been an error on Franco. 

Yes he let few more guys on base than I'd have liked, but it was still a huge step in the right direction. Remember there's a lot of luck to a batted ball falling for a hit, he induced grounders and struck guys out when he needed to. Overall it was a fine start and I'd classify it as a 'bad' start for an ace if anything. Still remains to be seen if he builds on this but anyone who watched him pitch today should be happy with what they saw. 

Agree! He also sprinkled in his change and it made Murphy look silly

4 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Snakes are for sissies.

What does that have to do with anything?

Was Nola not one of the top 10 paid pitchers in your auction?

11 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

I'm in two auction leagues and in both Nola was one of the 10 highest bid pitchers in both

There's a ton of players this year who haven't performed at their draft price. Nola isn't rare this year.

in fact this year is one of the worst for busts or players getting hurt, not living up to expectations etc..

I didn't get to watch the game. Did Nola look like an ace today??

34 minutes ago, cs3 said:

I didn't get to watch the game. Did Nola look like an ace today??

5 ERA & 1.5 WHIP.  Certainly doesn't look like one on paper today...

but it's a win! 😶