Dark Kn19ht

Gary Sanchez 2019 Outlook

With 2018 being a complete disaster for the expected clear cut #1 Catcher in all of fantasy baseball what are we expecting out of him in 2019?

2018 line =             .186 AVG, .291 OBP, 51 R, 18 HR, 53 RBI

2019 projection = .235 AVG, .314 OBP, 65 R, 27 HR, 73 RBI (ESPN Projections)

Power still seems to be his differentiation, but do the OBP and AVG detriments negate that one positive?

if he is there around pick 70 or 80 ill be taking the risk again

.260 30 80/90    could be more if he stays healthy all year and gets 550-600 PAs. Last year sucked no doubt, but he was hurt for the majority of it. Needs to cut down on that IFFB%, but I chalk that up to injury too. Love me some Gary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

This guy sucks 

7 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Straight trash

100618_gif_sanchez_bat_drop.gif

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

I'm not ready to say dude's toast - but full disclosure it took me until 2013 or so to give up on Wieters so I'm just an idiot quite likely.

Either way - he will bring the goods in the power #s but will his peripherals make him un-ownable as they essentially did last year. 

Sure would be nice if one of these hyped C prospects hit every now and then.

41 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I'm not ready to say dude's toast - but full disclosure it took me until 2013 or so to give up on Wieters so I'm just an idiot quite likely.

Either way - he will bring the goods in the power #s but will his peripherals make him un-ownable as they essentially did last year. 

Sure would be nice if one of these hyped C prospects hit every now and then.

2016 - 201 ABs - 20 hrs 299/376/657

2017 - 471 ABs(missed april) - 33hrs 90 rbi 278/345/531

2018- we all know he sucked.  he had multiple injuries

the only question is can he stay healthy and can he play enough defense to stay at catcher

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So weird that after 2 stud seasons at such a young age, people are so quick to write someone after 1 bad injury riddled season. Power was still there last season even with the injuries. I'm all in.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, jspeco9 said:

So weird that after 2 stud seasons at such a young age, people are so quick to write someone after 1 bad injury riddled season. Power was still there last season even with the injuries. I'm all in.

So true I don't get where all this hate for Gary Sanchez is coming from.  Yeah he had a miserable year last year, some which was due to injury and some of it was due to just plain bad luck.  His hard hit ball ratio and exit velocity was still among the tops in the league and he just happened to hit a lot of those hard hit balls directly at people.  His k rate spiked slightly last year compared to 2017 but not by much and that can also be attributed to an injured struggling player who was obviously pressing at times who was trying to play catch up.  Eventually it can become just as much a mental thing as a physical thing.  

While last year was a complete bust, but the power numbers and counting stats were still there and despite the abismal batting average, he was still on pace for over 35 hr's, 90 rbi's and 90 runs at around 600 at bats.  I mean he did hit 33 home runs and drove in 90 rbi's the year before in only 122 games and 471 at bats.  Despite the down year I still ill have full confidence that provided he can stay healthy he will be able to provide big time power numbers from the weakest offensive position while still hitting some where in the .260-.280 range.  He will probably fall far enough in most redraft leagues to be a league winning value pick if he can rebound like some expect. In keeper leagues he will probably still be kept or might have to reach for him based on potential alone, but if he goes back to 2016/2017 Sanchez he will be a nice cornerstone piece on any team keeper/dynasty team.

Edited by 2Balls1Bat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jspeco9 said:

I’m sure anyone who owned him is going to be extremely bitter about last season so that creates a buying opportunity for the rest of us. He certainly didn’t look great at the plate but the power/counting stats will be there if he healthy. 

I also feel like that time he didn’t hustle to first base to beat out a grounder left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

2016 - 201 ABs - 20 hrs 299/376/657

2017 - 471 ABs(missed april) - 33hrs 90 rbi 278/345/531

2018- we all know he sucked.  he had multiple injuries

the only question is can he stay healthy and can he play enough defense to stay at catcher

If you did one of those Player A produced "____" stats over the past 2 years, his 2018 would be the clear outlier. If you then provide the context of injury, which is accurate, that should explain a significant portion of the outlier. Factor in a young player that is under heavy mental duress from the slump/injury/big market and I think he deserves to be high in the rankings for catchers in redraft and represents an intriguing buy opportunity for this season. Like others said, the ones bitter, angry, or hating on him are most likely the ones that invested an early pick on him last year. 

Long term, I am extremely concerned about his defense and staying behind the plate. For redraft this doesn't matter until he loses eligibility to start a season. For dynasty, it has to be discounted to an extent because I don't see him staying behind the plate very long. 

He had an unrealistic hr/fb ratio in 16/17.  He doesn’t need to show up in “the greatest shape of his life”, but he does need to show he wasn’t sitting around eating bugles and playing fortnite this offseason.  With his defense and effort being critized last year, he may not have much rope.  There’s also been more than a few catchers who have been one year wonders.  All that said, too early to write him off, but legitimate reasons to worry

19 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

He had an unrealistic hr/fb ratio in 16/17.  He doesn’t need to show up in “the greatest shape of his life”, but he does need to show he wasn’t sitting around eating bugles and playing fortnite this offseason.  With his defense and effort being critized last year, he may not have much rope.  There’s also been more than a few catchers who have been one year wonders.  All that said, too early to write him off, but legitimate reasons to worry

with his power to all fields and in yankee stadium i dont agree with this

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

with his power to all fields and in yankee stadium i dont agree with this

40% in ‘16.  25% in ‘17.  18% in 18.

all the while progressively hitting more flies in 18 than in 17 and 16.  

Stanton had 25% last year.  Judge had 29%

is he in their class?  

He could return to 25%, but 40?

He had left shoulder surgery after the season ended. Supposedly its been bothering him off and on since 2017. Hopefully he will be back to 100% and show last season was a fluke. I saw a video of him working out not too long ago and it looks like he's lost weight.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I don't hate Sanchez, but I'll be avoiding him in 2019. 

Kinda my philosophy on catchers this year.  If I look up and he’s fallen 2 rounds or so I’ll take a stab.  Otherwise I’ll grab whatever junk is around towards the end of the draft

2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

40% in ‘16.  25% in ‘17.  18% in 18.

all the while progressively hitting more flies in 18 than in 17 and 16.  

Stanton had 25% last year.  Judge had 29%

is he in their class?  

He could return to 25%, but 40?

40 no. 25 yes

18 he had several injuries so im not counting that

Yankees should really think about removing him from the catcher position (maybe to 1B or DH) in the near future. His bat is too good to be offset with his horrible catching. 

22 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

No, thats not the only question. You can't blame .186 and a sub-.300 OBP completely on injuries. 

27 minutes ago, cs3 said:

No, thats not the only question. You can't blame .186 and a sub-.300 OBP completely on injuries. 

ya u can.  i also like how his obp was over 100 points higher than his BA

thanks for pointing that out!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 6:07 PM, Arrowflinger said:

He had left shoulder surgery after the season ended. Supposedly its been bothering him off and on since 2017. Hopefully he will be back to 100% and show last season was a fluke. I saw a video of him working out not too long ago and it looks like he's lost weight.

Image result for release the kraken gif

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

Anyone buy the theory he brings his defense to the plate?  He’s one of the worst defensive catchers of our lifetimes, a statue could block as many balls as him.  Catching and managing a staff takes a lot of effort.  One has to wonder if he just could focus on hitting what would the results be?  Guess time will tell.